Ball Joint Castellated Nut

Mike D'Silva

Cut down (grinder) a cheap air tool socket of the same diameter and use a breaker bar. You can use a jack to keep the tool in place whilst you twist (if it's still attached to the car). Which in your case it's not! Anyway where there's a will and a can of spinach , there's a way.

9 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Cut down (grinder) a cheap air tool socket of the same diameter and use a breaker bar. You can use a jack to keep the tool in place whilst you twist (if it's still attached to the car). Which in your case it's not! Anyway where there's a will and a can of spinach , there's a way.

yeah.. kinda wishing it was still on the car now.. 

I do have one of those proper nuts, but I got the impression they were for installation only.. might have to find a "real" shop willing to fix my mess!

1 minute ago, Mike D'Silva said:

yeah.. kinda wishing it was still on the car now.. 

I do have one of those proper nuts, but I got the impression they were for installation only.. might have to find a "real" shop willing to fix my mess!

Edd China "Never give up!"
Only once in the past can't remember it's been so long that I have given up and taken something to someone (who also cursed++)>
More than once an experienced mechanic has told me "nah that's young man's work"

Sleep on it. Controlled frustration short of anger always works!

I used WD40 and waited for it to penetrate. I also then used heat and like you, first a punch and then a cold chisel. Got there in the end!

I believe the second one went easier as I left the WD40 to penetrate longer - Maybe just lucky?

14 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Edd China "Never give up!"
Only once in the past can't remember it's been so long that I have given up and taken something to someone (who also cursed++)>
More than once an experienced mechanic has told me "nah that's young man's work"

Sleep on it. Controlled frustration short of anger always works!

Thanks to your post, I did not give up :)

3fBMGCO.jpg

Now.. just one more to go   :(

• 1 year later...

Oldskl60,

Do you know of a good cheap source for those sockets?  I've been thinking I'd have to make one like below but would prefer something ready to go.

I believe the trick with the modified socket type is to also place hose clamp around the pins to stop it slipping sideway.....along with doing it on the car using a jack to ensure full contact.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Oldskl60,

Do you know of a good cheap source for those sockets?  I've been thinking I'd have to make one like below but would prefer something ready to go.

I believe the trick with the modified socket type is to also place hose clamp around the pins to stop it slipping sideway.....along with doing it on the car using a jack to ensure full contact.

That's seems a great idea.  I got mine off JimmyT on the earlyS. Not cheap but the quality is brilliant.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?122022-FS-911-Front-Ball-Joint-Nut-Socket

• 4 months later...

This is next on my agenda for the '73.5 Going to give it a while with the penetrating fluids first. The brake calipers were a prick but we got there. Summoning all my memories from the 80s of how to get shit undone without destroying it in the process.