Advice needed: Wife needs a new (used) car that won't depreciate much

So my wife needs/wants a new (used) car.  Her only requirements are that it be modern, European, look nice and have four doors.  Mine on the other hand are that it should be RWD or AWD, have a decent petrol engine and most importantly depreciate as little as possible.  I'd like to spend less than $60,000, but could potentially spend a bit more if it was worth it in the longer term (because of less depreciation).  It will do about 5,000km per year.

I like the c2009 Mercedes C63 AMG, but my wife things they are ugly.  An early Macan S we both like, but not sure how they will go with depreciation in the long term - hopefully not like a Cayenne.  What else should we look at?

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

So my wife needs/wants a new (used) car.  Her only requirements are that it be modern, European, look nice and have four doors.  Mine on the other hand are that it should be RWD or AWD, have a decent petrol engine and most importantly depreciate as little as possible.  I'd like to spend less than $60,000, but could potentially spend a bit more if it was worth it in the longer term (because of less depreciation).  It will do about 5,000km per year.

I like the c2009 Mercedes C63 AMG, but my wife things they are ugly.  An early Macan S we both like, but not sure how they will go with depreciation in the long term - hopefully not like a Cayenne.  What else should we look at?

Just put my 2014 Macan S petrol up for sale. Guarantee you won’t find better optioned and presented car for the price. We can organise for a key swap on the C4 if you like to take it for a run and see how it goes for her. You won’t get it for $60 but I’m sure we could work out a PFA deal. I’ve taken the depreciation hit for you 😩

Staying on the Merc theme, I would seriously consider the CLS 63, W219, not the ugly W218 update....

Macan, sorry @Tips I think it will take a big hit like the Cayenne, sold too many of them...

Outside chance ML63 W166, most have taken the big $ hit!

Tough crowd calling the W204 C63 Ugly!

Panamera??

1 hour ago, Tips said:

Just put my 2014 Macan S petrol up for sale. Guarantee you won’t find better optioned and presented car for the price. We can organise for a key swap on the C4 if you like to take it for a run and see how it goes for her. You won’t get it for $60 but I’m sure we could work out a PFA deal. I’ve taken the depreciation hit for you 😩

Tempting...  Will take a look and speak to the wife

59 minutes ago, ANF said:

Staying on the Merc theme, I would seriously consider the CLS 63, W219, not the ugly W218 update....

Macan, sorry @Tips I think it will take a big hit like the Cayenne, sold too many of them...

Panamera??

Thanks, will take a look at the CLS 63 - I know, I reckon the W204 is the best looking of all the C63s

Panamera still a bit too expensive (at least for one with 8 cylinders!) and I'm not a huge fan of the appearance of the first gen.

27 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Toyota FJ Cruiser? They're basically a tank and aren't depreciating much 

If your lady is into big cars ofcourse 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-mw4p3H4QIVBa6WCh1olA6CEAAYASAAEgLnD_D_BwE&sb=Price&q=(And.(C.Make.Toyota._.Model.FJ+Cruiser.)_.Service.Carsales.)&pg=1

Funnily enough she actually likes these, but we already have a Kluger and the FJ is probably a bit cumbersome for her 7km drive from home to CBD

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Panamera??

Not sure I agree Adam on the depreciation as the biggest hit happens early in a cars life, but most modern cars continue to but at a slower rate. I do think that macan holds it over the cayennes though, as they are a better looking and more performance than People mover. 

Having had 2 merc SUV’s the W166 is the best shape ML/GLE MB but they are a large car. Our other car is a GLC43 and it’s a Power house and better sized car for metro/city driving than an ML/GLE. I still think the w166 63 whilst close to a $180k car new, still has a bit to go on depreciation and service/parts like brakes etc are more costly than a Porsche in my book. 

@D2000 offer is there, no string attached if you want to take a spin without a dealer sales guy breathing down your neck.

24 minutes ago, Tips said:

Not sure I agree Adam on the depreciation as the biggest hit happens early in a cars life, but most modern cars continue to but at a slower rate. I do think that macan holds it over the cayennes though, as they are a better looking and more performance than People mover. 

Having had 2 merc SUV’s the W166 is the best shape ML/GLE MB but they are a large car. Our other car is a GLC43 and it’s a Power house and better sized car for metro/city driving than an ML/GLE. I still think the w166 63 whilst close to a $180k car new, still has a bit to go on depreciation and service/parts like brakes etc are more costly than a Porsche in my book. 

@D2000 offer is there, no string attached if you want to take a spin without a dealer sales guy breathing down your neck.

You may have a point, but the ML63 is a special variant where (dare say) the Macan is, well just a Macan  (no offence).
Personal preference is big with cars and I would take the ML63 over both the Macan and Cayenne, I want a big car.

I did drive a GMC Yukon through Vancouver, so I suppose I could drive anything 🤣

I cannot comment on ML63 spares, but general parts prices are good for MLs as long as you don't buy from the dealer, same with Porsche too!

17 hours ago, D2000 said:

Funnily enough she actually likes these, but we already have a Kluger and the FJ is probably a bit cumbersome for her 7km drive from home to CBD

Fair enough mate

Think we've decided to pull the pin and buy something later model like the FJ cruiser or a Kluger. The missus wants something robust, so I suggested the FJ after a PFA member dropped in with his. Surprised she likes them.

Just need to find a midi gun on Gumtree to fit to the roof for those pesky drivers going 50 in a 60 zone 👍

57 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Fair enough mate

Think we've decided to pull the pin and buy something later model like the FJ cruiser or a Kluger. The missus wants something robust, so I suggested the FJ after a PFA member dropped in with his. Surprised she likes them.

Just need to find a midi gun on Gumtree to fit to the roof for those pesky drivers going 50 in a 60 zone 👍

Hmmm - FJ Cruisers havent seemed to depreciate as much as other expensive cars, even though they look like a big Tonka Toys. We were in the USA a few months ago and they are really popular & high priced. I know a guy who bought one new, he has just kept it far far longer than most other cars he's had.

I wouldnt buy anything till after the election. If old cars (more than 4 years??) are banned/supertaxed in some areas, like in London, then that will really affect depreciation.

After selling my DD a few months ago I've been looking at options for a replacement. I'm now at a point where I find nothing new excites me (regardless of budget) and nothing euro is worth the premium over a Jap equivalent car + the servicing premiums make them even less appealing. 

I can justify it for my "hobby" cars/passion, but I'm not in a position where I can justify paying a premium for a car to sit in traffic and occasionally drive to the shops. I'm equally not wanting (or needing) an expensive car to do such tasks as that as well seems excessive....................Just go and buy a Mazda 3 and take a fancy holiday with the change. 

30 minutes ago, hugh said:

After selling my DD a few months ago I've been looking at options for a replacement. I'm now at a point where I find nothing new excites me (regardless of budget) and nothing euro is worth the premium over a Jap equivalent car + the servicing premiums make them even less appealing. 

I can justify it for my "hobby" cars/passion, but I'm not in a position where I can justify paying a premium for a car to sit in traffic and occasionally drive to the shops. I'm equally not wanting (or needing) an expensive car to do such tasks as that as well seems excessive....................Just go and buy a Mazda 3 and take a fancy holiday with the change. 

For the price of a Mazda 3 you have plenty of choice of used euro that will be way better! That is what I would do, oh hang on that IS what I do 😋

37 minutes ago, hugh said:

Push bike and Uber 😀

1 hour ago, hugh said:

I feel the same way.  Pity my wife does not...

39 minutes ago, ANF said:

For the price of a Mazda 3 you have plenty of choice of used euro that will be way better! That is what I would do, oh hang on that IS what I do 😋

That's what I'm thinking.  If only I could get her there on the older C63...

19 hours ago, Tips said:

Cheers @Tips  Sadly, I think your car is too nice for my budget and too nice for my wife (who does not look after her car like I do mine)

On 12/04/2019 at 09:58, hugh said:

I am with you Hugh, I have approached all play things with a different mind set to the daily drivers.

For us, as long as we're getting the value out of the big spend on a daily drive, we can justify taking a bath on depreciation for one car... and whilst we keep looking to replace our 2003 Corolla which is the shopping cart, frankly I can't see any new cars worth buying to replace it (its guilt free, low cost motoring)...that is, until I saw that new 2019 Mazda 3, I'm glad you mentioned it too... That looks like a great daily drive with all the mod-cons and driver aids you could ask for, with what seems to be a pretty high level of finish for a white goods car. 

OP,  I'm of the mindset, if you are going to buy new or late model daily, that has got to be a long term play i.e. 10 years... amortise the capital and running cost over the "lifecycle" and ask yourself if its worth the $$ spent... for all intents and purposes, I would be of the mindset that the asset is worth nil at the end of life,  if you can stomach that, then proceed by all means... but I really don't think its a reasonable expectation to buy volume cars and expect strong resale! All cars mentioned so far are volume cars relatively speaking. 

Sure you can buy late models at the bottom of their depreciation curve, the capital outlay is lower, but the ongoing cost is usually greater than that of a car inside a warranty period and fixed maintenance schedule too... it's almost reasonable to say that you give up your debt/equity position for cash flow, the same goes inverse. 

On 11/04/2019 at 12:16, D2000 said:

You must choose what your wife wil be driving , not what you want to be seen in at the supermarket!
A 6.3 litre MB is all very well , however...
My wife bought e new petrol GLC MB and loves it. The 250 is plenty powerful ; I  have not seen any need for a larger engine except if you want to tow big boats , wear tyres out quickly or own a service station .
Oh and the boot space makes a difference. Back seat space is excellent for adults.  She wasn't sold the small Macan (for various reasons)  and the Cayenne is far too big for general citycentric use.

On 12/04/2019 at 11:08, D2000 said:

I feel the same way.  Pity my wife does not...

That's what I'm thinking.  If only I could get her there on the older C63...

Cheers @Tips  Sadly, I think your car is too nice for my budget and too nice for my wife (who does not look after her car like I do mine)

Just bought a VW Tiguan Wolfsburgh for SWMBO, previous car was a MB GLA 250. The VW is a better car than the MB by a long shot. I thought it was relatively good value at $62k with all the options & great to drive. I compare it to the 2014 X5 I had even though it cost half as much.

25 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Just bought a VW Tiguan Wolfsburgh for SWMBO, previous car was a MB GLA 250. The VW is a better car than the MB by a long shot. I thought it was relatively good value at $62k with all the options & great to drive. I compare it to the 2014 X5 I had even though it cost half as much.

Which options do you/did you "value"?
1/2 the stuff on the GLC we never go near. Yet we have paid for it!

30 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Which options do you/did you "value"?
1/2 the stuff on the GLC we never go near. Yet we have paid for it!

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, there’s a whole lot of stuff on the 991.2 which is fluff, but most of the Tiguan is useful once you personalise it.

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, there’s a whole lot of stuff on the 991.2 which is fluff, but most of the Tiguan is useful once you personalise it.

3 speed heated seats with accompanying 9 colour choices and 5 fragrance scent delivery?

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Avon said:

No experience with them but it sound like an Evoque might be a contender?  There is a 2L turbo petrol option.  

Depends whether you need boot space and rear headroom. They have neither. Looked briefly at them when we bought the Shaguar.