Starter Motor - Occasional no-start - 3.0

Mike D'Silva

Recently, I have found my starter motor to not want to turn over. Everything else works, I turn the key, the lights dim a little, but there is no click. Is it the solenoid that is the problem? And if so, can these be fixed? Or am I staring down the barrel of a new starter? 

I thought it was loose battery terminals at first.. but tightened them up, and still the issue remains. It doesn't happen all the time, but I am unable to ascertain what circumstances cause it to happen...

I had a datto1600 back in the old days and it did the same thing once, rather than just tightening the battery connections, I’d take them off and scrape both the terminals and the inside of the cable connectors with a light emery paper.... anyway, just to eliminate a possible bad connection.

I had a similar issue. hard/laboured to crank...happened sporadically and only when hot. turned out my starter was well and truly on its way out, but i tested the ground strap connection as suggested by simply running a jump lead straight back to the battery.

I bought  new battery.. and thought that was the issue. 

But now the hard start happened again. I am certain it is the solenoid.. I got under the car with my remote starter and connected the leads to the positive and the yellow wire.. clicking the button wouldn't get the starter to turn over. 

I think the solenoid needs a pulling apart or clean.. unless someone has a nice high torque starter they want to sell?

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Have you given it a tap Mike? 9/10 times if it turns over after you do its definitley the throwout solenoid/bendix or whatever its called

Yes, I did and it did respond. 

It's a weird one in that sometimes I just let it sit, and after a while it will work.. Or I can turn the key from off to on repeatedly and wait for the electrons to make it click.

But yes, I am pretty certain it is the solenoid.. If only these were an easy to buy replacement item.. I feel a DIY coming along at some point, cos I am too cheap to buy a whole new starter!

1 hour ago, firstone said:

In my experience with starters in general, worn brushes tend to give a dying battery feel getting worse over a period of time. 

Correct ^ what he says!

If it isnt an elec/wiring problem, its most likely that there is wear in the motor. you could need bushes & brushes. Below is a good write-up.

If you need a solenoid unit, it may be that the Bosch one on the 911 is same as used in a Holden or Falcon

911 part = 95160490200 = Bosch 2339303270. They are about usd $38.50 in US - so I expect you could fond them cheap here too.

=================

Bosch Starter Solenoid,0331303003,2339303270

12V,4-Terminal

New-Era: SS-1762

OEM:
BOSCH 0331303003
BOSCH 0331303007
BOSCH 0331303010
BOSCH 0331303015
BOSCH 0331303019
BOSCH 0331303038
BOSCH 0331303503
BOSCH 0331303530
BOSCH 2339303270
BOSCH 9330081039
WAI: 66-9129

Lester Nos:
16299, 16367, 16401, 16530, 16534, 16535
Uesd on:
Audi,Mercedes,Porsche,Volkswagen
Servicing:
BOSCH 208,211,311,314 Series DD Starters 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/631173-solenoid-starter-rebuild-finally.html

37 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

, I am pretty certain it is the solenoid.. If only these were an easy to buy replacement item.. I feel a DIY coming along at some point, cos I am too cheap to buy a whole new starter!

Here is a solenoid from the Fatherland (via china?) for about 50 USD delivered. Looks like also for MB W114 & W115 V8.

However, I doubt it will be this - my bet is wear in the bushes & brushes which is a cheap easy DIY fix.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monark-MAGNETIC-SWITCH-FOR-MERCEDES-8-W114-W115-Starter-Solenoid-Switch-/222569091163

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem lately occasionally not starting but finally cranking and the other day it wouldn’t come right so I put it in gear and rocked it and when I tried it it started. I think rocking it just rotated the starter a little to get away from the dead spot. I remember doing this as a teenager a million years ago.....does his mean I need a new starter?

Mine was turning but throw out bearing was sticking so it was not returning after the start and a bit noisy. It was already at AH so they did a reco swap over unit which is working perfectly. Cost a bit more than Mikes reco 😘

Mike if you haven't put it back in the car yet could you do me a favour?

I just rebuilt mine and reassembled but not sure I've got the orientation of the solenoid right before I repaint it.

Any chance you could post a couple of pics of it for me?