Outdoor cover recommendations

Hey folks,

I'm demolishing my garage so I can build a slightly taller one to fit a Tufflift hoist. My 993 will need to be out on the street whilst this is taking place so looking to keep her protected from the elements.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers,

I recently needed to make room for renovation, so I just put my 997 GT3 into Kollector storehaus at Annandale, I bought 1 year for $250/pm so its safe (under 24h surveillance), out of the elements and under its dust cover on the trickle charge while I sort out garaging situation. 

This was the absolute best scenario in my book, I couldn't bring myself to leave any of them outside, covered or not. 

Talk to Rob at Kollector, he will sort you out. 

@edgyWe were discussing storage at home last night if we move to Our Newtown digs 3 cars inton1 spot didn’t go, no matter how good a parker you are 🙄.

for the 911 and early SMT’s it’s about easy access. What’s the go at Kollector can you access any time or is it specific?

other option @pocketscience is often in gumtree people advertise garages you can rent locally. Not the same security as per Edgy’s recommendation but better than the street.

I store a car in a apartment stacker here in Melbourne. Nobody can access my cage without a key.
Here it costs me $170pm - I found it via gumtree.

I also use a Super Cheap Auto - Gold car cover (about $100) on another one of my cars that is outside.
It does what it says - they are waterproof.  They don't really last a year though in the elements.  They have a 2 year warranty, so I just swap it for a new one when it breaks down.

I have a Covercraft Evolution Block-it. It is outdoor/"highly" water resistant and protects against light knocks and light hail and is soft on your paint. You can get them custom made through Supercheap auto for around $300 but a 3 week wait. 

If you really want it water proof I would also get one of those thin water proof covers to put on top. I wouldn't normally recommend these as they are a little abrasive but it will be on top of your soft cover so doesn't matter.

The water resistant covers will work for light to medium showers but not constant heavy showers. As soon as the surface tension is broken it can start to seep through particularly at the seams. A bit of scotch guard can help and better not to park under trees as they seem to generate bigger and constant water drops.

On 12/05/2019 at 20:45, Tips said:

@edgyWe were discussing storage at home last night if we move to Our Newtown digs 3 cars inton1 spot didn’t go, no matter how good a parker you are 🙄.

for the 911 and early SMT’s it’s about easy access. What’s the go at Kollector can you access any time or is it specific?

other option @pocketscience is often in gumtree people advertise garages you can rent locally. Not the same security as per Edgy’s recommendation but better than the street.

I have been doing this for 4 months.  Underground in an apartment building, relatively secure and with a cover on.  5 min bus ride to get to location. Inferior to having in your own garage but way superior to street/driveway parking.  24hr access and pretty reasonable costs.  Even better if you can score a power outlet for trickle charge. 

23 hours ago, pocketscience said:

Picked up a gold one at SCA. Will see how it goes. Thanks guys,

Hi,

Curious as to the size you got. Medium clearly fits, i was wondering if small will stretch on?

For me its on a 996

Are you happy with it?

Chris

1 hour ago, CJ996 said:

Hi,

Curious as to the size you got. Medium clearly fits, i was wondering if small will stretch on?

For me its on a 996

Are you happy with it?

Chris

I got the medium. it fits a 911 SC.
Not sure if a small would fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the medium. Fits 993 fine. Not super happy with how rough the material is and they seem impossible to get back to original pack size. Basically takes up the entire frunk space. Anyway, it’ll do for the time being until the new car home is built. 

I had a similar issue and opted for a Covercraft Noah cover that's tailor made for your make. It's got great options (whale/duck tail, different mirrors etc) that are easy to config through their website and was pretty reasonably priced I thought (<$500 and they have specials):

https://www.covercraft.com/au/en/covercrafter

I went with Noah fabric because its strong against weather but inside it's a soft cotton like fabric.

On 26/05/2019 at 09:42, pocketscience said:

I got the medium. Fits 993 fine. Not super happy with how rough the material is and they seem impossible to get back to original pack size. Basically takes up the entire frunk space. Anyway, it’ll do for the time being until the new car home is built. 

I have one from SCA, think it’s medium. Way too big but I wrap it under the front and back of the car.  I also put soft clean blankets or  sheets over the car before putting the cover on.

I also have a Covercraft Noah fitted cover for the 911. Great cover, though the car sits undercover so not sure how waterproof.

As to the Coverall covers, I have used the Gold cover on a few other cars. Not particularly waterproof and not crazy about the rough inside. Use them  primarly to keep the cars clean rather than dry. I'm currently parking my MR2 outside and actually use the Gold cover with a bronze cover underneath. The extra layer keeps the car drier and cleaner as a lot of leaf litter falls where it's parked.

Yeah, I think the Noah is a good cover. It is very similar to my Evolution Block-it and as you mention they can all be custom made to fit. I bought the Evolution as it is meant to give slightly more ding protection. Though when you roll it up still takes up most of the frunk!

Here is a good comparison of the Covercraft covers FYI:
https://www.covercraft.com/au/en/covercrafter

Looks like the Noah is slightly better in the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived