Sign in to follow this  
rufmichan

Advise for moving from GT86 to 986 Boxster?

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the forum and Porsche in general. I'm currently driving a MY14 GT86 for quite a while now and while it's a really good and fun car, I've been very much tempted to try out the 986 Boxster just to try out something different. Funny thing is the price differential mean I won't need to add much if I do decide to sell the 86. (Excluding future potential maintenance of course) 

However, based on my very limited reading, I've been lead to understand that there are quite few potential issues with 986, IMS bearing being the one, and a lot of other issues like valve cover gasket leak, 2nd gear going out and others. 

Because of those reasons, I'd just like to hear your advise whether this would be a good decision to make.

Even though I don't find power is an issue for me with the GT86, I do wonder if the 2.7 base Boxster is adequate, or do you always need to go to Boxster S for most case?

Does the driving experience worth moving from a relatively new MY14 GT86 to something like the 986? Or do I better wait and just save up to get the newer 987 or even Cayman? (Given my present budget I don't think I can even consider 911 in any shape) 

Say I do start looking for 986, is it always the rule to assume that the IMS is going to break in the future, and thus aftermarket replacement is necessary? 

Thanks for your help :)

11 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

Because of those reasons, I'd just like to hear your advise whether this would be a good decision to make.

You are on a Porsche forum ..... of course its a good decision!!

It's like walking into a church and asking the priest ... is it a good idea to convert to Christianity?? :Chuckle2:

Welcome to the world of Porsche!! :cool07:

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

Tbh I'm just intimidated with the fact that brand new even the 986 Boxsters cost upward of 100k.. Surely they couldn't just depreciate to the point that even GT86 are more expensive in some instances, unless there are reasons behind it?

I'm just afraid of buying one and ended up not liking it in comparison with the GT86.. 

For 986, buy the base car, its more rudimentary, which is the ethos of Porsche... We have a 2.5 Tiptronic (of all things)... believe me, on a country B road, you will not wish you were in another car! Even better when its a nice day and you can drop the top, and hear that 2.5 scream! 

I am at the point now, I prefer to take the Boxster on drives than the GT3... that should tell you something about how good of a car they are for the $$ 

As for IMS bearing, yes its always wise to do this, or if you're patient enough, find one that has had ALL the big $$ maintenance done including the IMS... that's exactly what I did.

Good cars are out there, but there is plenty of junk! 

As for the S, I had looked at buying one early, thought is was ok, but really found that I gravitated to the early more simple car more... 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

For 986, buy the base car, its more rudimentary, which is the ethos of Porsche...

All the cools kids are doing it apparently 😉

Bottomline; good ones have reached there lowest prices, they'll likely stay there a long time before/if they start going back up, but doubtful they'll go much lower. Buy now and enjoy!

2 hours ago, edgy said:

For 986, buy the base car, its more rudimentary, which is the ethos of Porsche... We have a 2.5 Tiptronic (of all things)... believe me, on a country B road, you will not wish you were in another car! Even better when its a nice day and you can drop the top, and hear that 2.5 scream! 

I am at the point now, I prefer to take the Boxster on drives than the GT3... that should tell you something about how good of a car they are for the $$ 

As for IMS bearing, yes its always wise to do this, or if you're patient enough, find one that has had ALL the big $$ maintenance done including the IMS... that's exactly what I did.

Good cars are out there, but there is plenty of junk! 

As for the S, I had looked at buying one early, thought is was ok, but really found that I gravitated to the early more simple car more... 

My only worry is the power in the base Boxster with 2.7 might not feel that different compared to GT86. But I guess after hearing your perspective as an owner of yet even faster car such as the GT3, power doesn't seem like a problem even in the 2.7.

Do you usually look over the car first before doing PPI, or should I do PPI before looking or making offer at the car?

Is there any easy way to identify that the car has been neglected / has bad service history at a glance? When I was looking for the 86, I was vehement that I wanted to get a stock one even with the Prius tyres. I avoided any signs of mods or custom wheels. The 86 that I got also has full Toyota service history. 

P.S: I'll be looking for MT one too.

46 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

My only worry is the power in the base Boxster with 2.7 might not feel that different compared to GT86. But I guess after hearing your perspective as an owner of yet even faster car such as the GT3, power doesn't seem like a problem even in the 2.7.

Do you usually look over the car first before doing PPI, or should I do PPI before looking or making offer at the car?

Is there any easy way to identify that the car has been neglected / has bad service history at a glance? When I was looking for the 86, I was vehement that I wanted to get a stock one even with the Prius tyres. I avoided any signs of mods or custom wheels. The 86 that I got also has full Toyota service history. 

P.S: I'll be looking for MT one too.

If you wanted outright speed, you wouldn't look at Boxster... but I am not telling you anything you don't already know.

FYI the early cars are 2.5L, the later (MY 2000+) are 2.7L (in base) its perfectly fine power... they have a nice linear power band/torque being a 6 pot, if anything I'd say you're not keeping the RPM up as much as you do in the 86.. its a momentum car, whatever engine is in it... and trust me, I have seen some well driven ones keep good pace in supersprints. 

As always its gotta have a good service history, being a cheap Porsche now, too many cheapskates have owned and neglected them, there is a saying "buy the owner" most will attest to this, and when you know you have a good owner, you just know. 

But good note on the tyres, I always look for cars that have correct or good brand tyres on them... non matched who flung dungs on the front, with bob jane outarounders on the back is usually a big red flag. 

Definitely make a personal inspection if the car is local, then follow it up with a PPI if you are going to go for it! 

Total agree with the other comments that for 90%+ of the time a base model will be fine.

I have a 2004 base manual and love it. Drop it into second and you can pull easily from 40 km/hr to 110 km/hr which for most of the twisties in the Adelaide hills is a great range to work. It really comes on song above 3000. 

They are not the quickest to accelerate but they are just a ball to drive and you can throw them around like a go kart.

Usual advice drive a few and pick the one you like.

You'll be fine with a 2.7, especially if the 86 is good for you.

2.7 Boxster: 168kW and 265Nm for 133 w/ kg power to weight

Toyota 86: 158kW and 212Nm for 126 w/kg power to weight

So a 6% increase in kW and 25% increase in torques and 5% greater power to weight.

This doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it's a start. You might miss the lack of bluetooth and decent sound system but hey, you buy these things to drive, not listen to the latest Jonas Brothers album.

Great sounds good! Thanks for the advise everyone (esp @edgy), and thus the search starts. 

I'll report if there's any interesting development coming in. 

(If anyone reading this happens to be selling their Boxster and located in Vic don't hesitate to PM me) :)