Ok to lift a wheel off over bumps

CJ996

Hi all,

Strange question I know. To get in and out of the garage is over a bluestone gutter in the lane. It's pretty deep so I use a ramp on one side.

I get a front wheel lifting off as I go through, just wondering if this is a twist issue given the repetition. 02 996 targa.

I would say it’s ok, chassis is designed to flex.

i have been going in and out of my drive way like this for 18 years now. Any low clearance car that enters or exits on an angle, the wheel lifts well off the ground 

Not a mechanical engineer, but cars and suspension is all fine

My 2 cents worth 

18 hours ago, CJ996 said:

Hi all,

Strange question I know. To get in and out of the garage is over a bluestone gutter in the lane. It's pretty deep so I use a ramp on one side.

I get a front wheel lifting off as I go through, just wondering if this is a twist issue given the repetition. 02 996 targa.

No, if I read your description correctly it’s probably just the natural stiff chassis NOT flexing as per design. My previous 991 GTS would lift a front wheel over speed humps when approached at an angle as the chassis was stiff, I’m not sure I want too much flex in my chassis.

Next time you do it, when the wheel is in the air. Stop the car and open the door and get out of the car, if the door won’t close - you have a problem. If it opens and closes, no issue.

Dont panic, a std 996 has more chassis strength than a 993 RS with a cage.

Yes,  I experienced this recently when changing the coil packs on my 996..  Jacked at the rear jacking point and the front lifted too..

Nice..  Stiff..  Impressed..

Been doing it with my 996 since owning it last year.... other than being a bit of a party trick, it has zero effect on the car..., still feels like it has been honed from a single billet. 

Probably wouldn’t be doing same in a Datsun 120Y or Hyundai anything!