Base car for hotrod project?

AlexB7RS4

I've been Porsche obsessed since my youth. I actually studied Engineering so I could go and get a job at Porsche when I finished. Life changed, but I am finally in a position that I have some expendable cash. I have a B7 RS4 and was looking at buying a newer M3 (or even a 997S) to replace it but more and more I'm starting to think perhaps a more sedate daily and a project. I've had projects in the past (74 RX2, 69 Mini) and I miss working on them. I'm one of those people who'd rather spend his weekend working on a car than doing track days. For me, the 911 is the ultimate car, and speaks to me more than any Ferrari or Lambo ever would. 

If you had, say, 30k to spend on a project starter 911 what would it be? Or am I being unrealistic at that price? Ideally I'd like a (mostly) complete RHD 964 manual C2 coupe for a multiple year project, but I'm flexible on the car provided it's a coupe or Targa and it's a classic air cooled (pre-993) vehicle. 

Don't care if it's imported, or converted, don't care if it's matching numbers, don't care if it's running or not, fine if it's rusted and needs a lot of work. Fine if I need to spend $100k and thousands of hours on it over the next decade getting it perfect. Fine if I need to import it myself (as long as I can eventually register it). I'm thinking a car for a full engine/box rebuild, bare metal rework. I see a couple 912 projects for sale around 15-20k that would be perfect but I'd rather a 911. 

Inspired by Singer like everyone else? Yep. But I don't need the car driving tomorrow, or even by 2030. Just want something to work on, a bit at a time, that will hopefully increase in value as I go. 

I'd even go LHD but would prefer RHD. 

Thanks. I know what I'm getting into. I fully expect this project to cost a lot by the time I'm done. I've spent $15k in mechanicals on my RS4 in the last 18 months and that's depreciating and expensive to run. All my cars have been similar, I have a habit of buying performance vehicles and spending in excess of $10k a year on mods and maintenance. I'm getting older and tired of daily driving cars with coilovers and heavy clutches in traffic, and breaking gearboxes and driveshafts and diffs. Maybe I'm going soft, but I figure I'm better off investing in a project car and getting a more comfortable, versatile and economical daily driver.

Any suggestions on what car to start with? Which air cooled cars can be had around this price range?

Good for you !! I think you would find a complete G series 911 project for 30k. It may not be running or have a horrible body kit but will be a 911 & worth the effort. My vote would be SC. Good luck with the search....

See if you can get a ride in a finished hot rod of each category.

You will be sinking in quite a bit of money by the sound of things. You don’t want to be underwhelmed at the end of the journey.

There is a very wide variety of cars owned and driven on this site.

Enjoy the journey.

Did someone say project?!?!?!

Well, if you hope that hotroding would increase value - think again (unless it`s something spectacular aka Singer)

Otherwise - g-series is the way. Say 911 SC or similar. 

I`d get a body (no engine) for 10-15 grand and source engine. Don`t have to fix someone`s, say features or perks. Everything from scratch.

The plan is something spectacular aka Singer! Perhaps a bit ambitious, but that's the inspiration for sure - aim high right? Though the intent is not to make money, it's to build a car that I'll keep forever. The appreciating value thing is really just a man maths argument to get the wife over the line...

Weissachologist - that's a great point about being underwhelmed at the end... I'll see if I can get in touch with the Adelaide Porsche club, unless anyone in Adelaide wants to help out?

Sorry to be Debbie downer, but I strongly doubt $30k will get you anything vaguely useful.  Maybe a lhd shell/roller.

You would be miles in front starting in the 50-60 range if possible.

Ps.  Don’t rule out targas or cabs - welding a roof on is surprisingly economic. 

$50-60k will be harder, at least imminently. I have the cash, but the wife wants a new bathroom and kitchen, and I'll need a new shed as well...

I don't mind leasing cars as daily drivers (Novated makes some sense with the tax benefits) but I don't want to borrow money for a project car.

Interesting about welding a roof on, that could be a way to go. I'd also considered finding a decent roller and buying an engine later - I anticipate a while of body work before I really need an engine anyway. However a complete car does make life easier.

Having just completed a 901 rebuild I do agree with OBRUT’s suggestion to spend more for a running / complete / decent 911. I still think you’ll be able to source a rough non running G series in your budget if you’re patient but it will probably cost you more in the long run. Unfortunately no easy / cheap way to restore a 911 & you can easily burn 150k+++. The parts are hard to find & expensive to buy so the more complete the better !!! What ever you buy I promise you WILL hate it half way through the rebuild....you’re Wife will be angry, the kitchen rebuild on hold & the kids eating canned beans BUT you will love it again once complete. Good luck with the search....it’s half the fun !!!

2 hours ago, AlexB7RS4 said:

The plan is something spectacular aka Singer! Perhaps a bit ambitious, but that's the inspiration for sure - aim high right? 

Singer build Singers. Don’t fall into the trap of building another wannabe Singer, you’ll be setting yourself up for failure. 

Just build an original, cool 911 (aka not a Singer!) 

Or if ur not sure of exact requirements I have been dealing with a seller a sporto AU 3.0 targa in white. Very original documented car at $47k which he is about to accept from a buyer if ur interested. Pm if so, I’ll pass on his details. 

14 hours ago, hugh said:

Singer build Singers. Don’t fall into the trap of building another wannabe Singer, you’ll be setting yourself up for failure. 

Just build an original, cool 911 (aka not a Singer!) 

Sage advice here

Yes good point. I am not planning on a build with full carbon panels sculpted to my specification and a $50k main body harness. Just want to take a tired car and make it a nice clean and mechanically perfect classic 911 with some custom detailing. Inspired by Singer but not trying to build an actual Singer.

Edit: Thinking something like this, but with a more true to period interior with custom trim https://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture/readers-ride/1976-911-street-track/

Thanks for the PMs with offers received so far. At this point, most cars outside my price range, but that was part of the point of this thread - to find out if I am in the ballpark. I couldn't find too many 911 projects online to benchmark - most seemed to be fully running cars, but I figured PFA would be the best place to find such things as I suspect most are sold off market.

@LeeM PM Sent

On 14/06/2019 at 18:10, AlexB7RS4 said:

... as I suspect most are sold off market.

Correct. And they can be had for that $ but you need to be in the right place at the right time.

The more complete a car you start with the better IMO. If you need to stretch a bit more to get that, do it. Finding parts you need is a PITA. It's much easier to upgrade when you need to/want to/when the opportunity arises and in the meantime you aren't at a roadblock for want of bits that aren't there.

Start to build contacts and a network. Turn up to cars and coffee etc and get chatting to people. Stick an ad on Gumtree, it's surprisingly effective apparently.

On 12/06/2019 at 19:43, AlexB7RS4 said:

Fine if I need to spend $100k

Which part of the car will you be spending that on? :P

Seriously though, set a budget and then triple it. Donor cars are expensive and you'll get hammered on parts from the US and Europe with the $ where it is. 

As others have suggested, buying someone else's hotrod or unfinished project is a good option.

Did RAF sell his long hood that was converted to a 993 with an SC engine in it? That would be a great project to take back to a long hood hot rod 😉 I know he wanted more than $40k however maybe starting with a working car that would be a great driver while u worked out what the project end game would be and accumulated the parts....

On 17/06/2019 at 20:34, Tips said:

Did RAF sell his long hood that was converted to a 993 with an SC engine in it? That would be a great project to take back to a long hood hot rod 😉 I know he wanted more than $40k however maybe starting with a working car that would be a great driver while u worked out what the project end game would be and accumulated the parts....

Still available I believe