Rear tyres for 996 Melbourne

DT

Just replaced my 2 rear tyres, Pirelli Rosso N4s again (3rd set), I wanted to change to Michelin Pilot sport PS2 N4, could not find any in OZ at all in 295/30/18, none in WA so ended up with the same from over east @ $645 ea.

The Pirellis are very noisy, one of the worst in the range, and get noisier as they get worn to the extent that they were howling and screaming at anything over 50Klms/hr with 3.5mm left on them, on new ones and its a lot quieter but still a lot of road noise. Thought it was wheel bearing but Indy says not just the tyres!

• 2 months later...
On 13/12/2019 at 06:00, 1q2w3e4r said:

I couldn't get PS4's in the sizing for 996TT's so Ive just put a set of Cup 2's on it.  I didn't fancy using 20 year old tyre technology which is what the PS2 and Pirelli P Zero Rosso's are now, if I could have I would have taken then PS4 route. 

Are there any choices in modern 285/30 sizes?

I'm faced with replacing the back two which say Michelin Pilot Sport N3 285/30 ZR18.

But might go all four if there was a good modern choice - the fronts still have wear in them but are old and pretty dead.

I know nothing about tyres LOL

On 30/06/2019 at 16:21, carl888 said:

What ever you do, do NOT mix compounds/manufacturers front and rear, this is a specific directive from the manual.

So - dont all manufacturers say that?

Do we know what happens if you do? Why is it so bad?

I'm struggling to get matching rears - and when I say me, I mean my tyre guy.

6 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

996  C2 -  ’m running conti sport contact 2 — 295 x 30 x 18 on the back and same in 225 x 40 On front , very happy

Has Conti SC2s on the back of my C2 when I got it, and they seemed fine, it was the fronts (older Sport Maxx) which were probably my problem, but PS2's cured all that and car as a whole now seems much more settled on the road.

Has SC2s front and back on our 987S, and they were pretty good.  We got about 30,000kms out of the backs (Boxster seemed to go through equivalent of 3 sets of backs to 2 sets of fronts)

2 hours ago, firecall999 said:

Are there any choices in modern 285/30 sizes?

I'm faced with replacing the back two which say Michelin Pilot Sport N3 285/30 ZR18.

But might go all four if there was a good modern choice - the fronts still have wear in them but are old and pretty dead.

I know nothing about tyres LOL

So - dont all manufacturers say that?

Do we know what happens if you do? Why is it so bad?

I'm struggling to get matching rears - and when I say me, I mean my tyre guy.

Tyroola has:

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico N4 in 285/30/18 and 225/40/18

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N3 in 285/30/18 and 225/4018

Both are N rated and available in 996 dimensions.

16 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Tyroola has:

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico N4 in 285/30/18 and 225/40/18

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N3 in 285/30/18 and 225/4018

Both are N rated and available in 996 dimensions.

Thanks!

This other forum thread hates the Pirelli's! 
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/249236-tyre-better-pirelli-pzero-rosso-michelin-ps2-2.html

I remember way back in the late 90's I have a '76 911 with Boxster wheels on it for a while, and that came with Bridgestone SO2s - I remember liking those 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2020 at 21:12, Troubleshooter said:

996  C2 -  ’m running conti sport contact 2 — 295 x 30 x 18 on the back and same in 225 x 40 On front , very happy

Are these on 9" front & 10" rear rims?

On 09/05/2020 at 19:31, TwoHeadsTas said:

I had same size PS2s on 8" Front and 10" Rears

Thanks, that's very helpful!

I've picked up a set of 996.2 wheels in that size and trying to work out the best size tyres to fit.

My 996.1 wheels are 7.5" / 9" and currently have a set of 225s on the front, so it's interesting to see you guys put 225s on the 8" rim also.

EDIT: Turns out I had looked up sizes for my wheels but must have got it wrong. Perhaps I looked at the version that went on the 986 or something, as mine are already 8 and 10"...

52 minutes ago, JWM said:

I've picked up a set of 996.2 wheels in that size and trying to work out the best size tyres to fit.

My 996.1 wheels are 7.5" / 9" and currently have a set of 225s on the front, so it's interesting to see you guys put 225s on the 8" rim also.

What did you get - BBS 5 spokers?   If so, great wheel, very easy to keep clean 🙂 

8 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

What did you get - BBS 5 spokers?   If so, great wheel, very easy to keep clean 🙂 

Yep, that’s the ones!

I blame being locked at home and bored for the purchase, but will keep me occupied thinking about something other than work for a little while... 😂

They look good too I think (although this looks lowered which probably helps)

779894d1384753892-best-18-wheels-on-a-996-let-the-pics-do-the-talking-img_2264.jpg

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I’ve got 2 x sets of Pirelli PZero Rosso’s here that will fit. 1 set brand new, the other set is around 85%. 

225 fronts, 295 rears. 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

I’ve got 2 x sets of Pirelli PZero Rosso’s here that will fit. 1 set brand new, the other set is around 85%. 

225 fronts, 295 rears. 

I’ll send you a message. 

• 1 month later...

Turns out I had some dud info on the width of my factory option twists... They were the same width as the Carrera 2's, so when I got my tyres fitted today, I opted to put them on the twists, which keeps the car original and saves me storing the damn things in the garage 😁...

I went for Sport Cup 2's 225/40 on the front, 285/30 on the rear. Took ages for them to get stock, waiting on a shipment from o/s, but done now.

Hey P team,

Weighing up PS2 vs PS4 for my 225/40/18 fronts, local bob Jane man said the PS4 is cheap $190 however the catch is they’re made in China unlike the PS2 which is ($275) and made in Europe...?

any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, hugh said:

Michelin’s PS2’s seem pretty hard to come by at the moment. 

Wouldn’t surprise me. I had to wait 4-5 weeks to get the full set of Sport Cup 2’s. I think they had the fronts but only one of the rears in the country when I ordered...

22 minutes ago, JWM said:

Wouldn’t surprise me. I had to wait 4-5 weeks to get the full set of Sport Cup 2’s. I think they had the fronts but only one of the rears in the country when I ordered...

Similar situation when I was looking for PS2s about this time last year.    Was the same for a few other brands, all supposedly on a ship on the way here.  Could get fronts or rears of a couple of the alternatives to PS2s, but not both.  Worth the wait though 🙂