Rear tyres for 996 Melbourne

DT

It's rear tyre/alignment time and apparently my usual tyre man (Rocky at Donellans in Collingwood) has moved to Perth so I'm looking for a new man, any recommendations, preferably inner-ish north east-ish?

I'll be replacing 18" Michelin PS2's which were great but didn't last long, so any recommendations for alternatives appreciated too.

Thanks Dan, might be a good opportunity to get another key programmed if I go to PCM.

Anyone got any experiences with alternative rear tyre choice compared to PS2's in terms of cost/performance/longevity?

I had Contisports CS2 on the back of mine, which have just been replaced by PS2s all round.  Dunlop Sport Maxxes on the front before, think they were the cause of my wandering steering, the PS2s transformed that for sure.  The Conti CS2's were fine, and we had them all round on the 987 Boxster S we had.  I did 20,000 kms on them in the 996, but an alignment problem saw premature wear on the inner shoulders, there was plenty of tread left in the centres......

38 minutes ago, DT said:

Thanks Dan, might be a good opportunity to get another key programmed if I go to PCM.

Anyone got any experiences with alternative rear tyre choice compared to PS2's in terms of cost/performance/longevity?

PS2s are generally considered the best - I have them on my 996

19 hours ago, dan_189 said:

PS2s are generally considered the best - I have them on my 996

Have been running PS4's for 6000kms including a couple of track days and I'd say they'll go to 20000km.  

Can be difficult getting correct sizes.  I'm running 275/35x18's which is the largest you can get for that tyre I believe.

Bridgestone S-02 are another good option, liked them a lot.

Also depends on if you buy into the N spec or not. I personally do but others may disagree.

The trade off is the tyre is tested and approved for the 996 (for example) but as technology moves forward should you buy a tyre with newer technology or a tyre that was tested and approved on the 996?

I have new PS4S's on at the moment which are about 3000km in and have no complaint for general daily use. 

Highly rate the PS2 which i had on before the PS4S's.... the PS2 seemed a little more loud road noise than the PS4S's but may have just been in my head. either way you cant go wrong

On 26/06/2019 at 22:04, dan_189 said:

Also depends on if you buy into the N spec or not. I personally do but others may disagree.

The trade off is the tyre is tested and approved for the 996 (for example) but as technology moves forward should you buy a tyre with newer technology or a tyre that was tested and approved on the 996?

It's interesting that people won't buy the N specification tyre, but all the development work is already done for you and Porsche update the N specification list usually every two years or so.  The track is a different matter but on the street, the N tyre is the way to go, surely?

What ever you do, do NOT mix compounds/manufacturers front and rear, this is a specific directive from the manual.

I have PS4s on the 996, never tested them against the others so no hard data to determine whether they're any good.  Lowish TWI, I'm happy with the grip levels.  Noise, life and price are a secondary consideration however.

On 01/07/2019 at 18:45, quasio said:

yeah i gotto look into new tyres for the back too, how much are you guys getting a pair for?

I think the last set of 295s and 285s in PS2 I got were $480 each from memory or around $1400 for all 4 with a $100 Michelin cash back.

• 5 months later...

So just calling around, for 285/30/R18 seems like there's only the pilot sport cup 2 (for michelin). I rarely track it, maybe once every 6 months, is it overkill?

Doesn't seem like there's any stock of normal Michelins PS2's or any other of PSS, PS4's etc. 

I ended up buying a couple of PS2's for the rear off Tyroola and had them delivered and fitted by Tyresplus in Richmond. Was initially very apprehensive going that route but the whole process went very smoothly, very happy with both of them. Tyresplus in Richmond were professional, no fuss and picked up something in the alignment I'd been a bit suss on after the previous alignment.

On 09/12/2019 at 10:44, DT said:

I ended up buying a couple of PS2's for the rear off Tyroola and had them delivered and fitted by Tyresplus in Richmond. Was initially very apprehensive going that route but the whole process went very smoothly, very happy with both of them. Tyresplus in Richmond were professional, no fuss and picked up something in the alignment I'd been a bit suss on after the previous alignment.

Ah ok, did you do this recently? 

oo.. just checked out the website, nankang ultra sport ns2 - $154 each!.. that's cheap..  anyone had any experience with them?

10 minutes ago, quasio said:

Ah ok, did you do this recently? 

oo.. just checked out the website, nankang ultra sport ns2 - $154 each!.. that's cheap..  anyone had any experience with them?

Have one fitted to get me out of a spot till I could replace both. I had Bridgestone Pontenza 285/30 ZR 18 but they are no longer available so just looking at options now. The Nankang to me just looks to narrow when compared to the pontenza.

2 minutes ago, Rod C said:

Have one fitted to get me out of a spot till I could replace both. I had Bridgestone Pontenza 285/30 ZR 18 but they are no longer available so just looking at options now. The Nankang to me just looks to narrow when compared to the pontenza.

can you tell how it feels? probably a bit hard with just 1 tyre i guess.

Other options are Conti sportcontact 2, never really tried conti before, not interested in Pirelli's. Ah well. i can always wait till ps2's are back in stock. The Cup2's aren't too much more expensive to be honest. But probably are overkill for daily driving.

1 minute ago, quasio said:

can you tell how it feels? probably a bit hard with just 1 tyre i guess.

Other options are Conti sportcontact 2, never really tried conti before, not interested in Pirelli's. Ah well. i can always wait till ps2's are back in stock. The Cup2's aren't too much more expensive to be honest. But probably are overkill for daily driving.

Sorry I didnt really drive the car with it on so cant give any feedback.

For anyone in the Melbourne area looking for tyres try Motorsport wheel and tyres on greens road Dandenong they are showing 285/30/18 ps2’s for $396 which sounds a good price,they have just fitted some continentals on my Ute for a great price and fantastic service from them.

16 hours ago, MARTY said:

For anyone in the Melbourne area looking for tyres try Motorsport wheel and tyres on greens road Dandenong they are showing 285/30/18 ps2’s for $396 which sounds a good price,they have just fitted some continentals on my Ute for a great price and fantastic service from them.

Ah that's not a bad price, will try calling around more to see if anyone has stock.

but sounds like the guys around perth all call from the michelin warehouse.

Although that said i was offered cup2's for $450 each.. just worried it's overkill and wear out quick on the street.

23 hours ago, MARTY said:

Not a bad price, the company I work for get all their tyres done there. Competitive prices. This was going to be the first place I speak to when up for some rear tyres for mine.

I have just placed an order for PS4's as my car is for everyday use. I changed from P Zero's to PSS's on my S5 and it was a huge improvement. Ny 996 currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx's on it and I don't rate them at all, but I don't have a frame of reference. I briefly considered PS2's and if it was just a weekend car I think they would be great, but for everyday, I was concerned about high wear and also wet grip?

On 12/12/2019 at 21:22, PDean said:

Not a bad price, the company I work for get all their tyres done there. Competitive prices. This was going to be the first place I speak to when up for some rear tyres for mine.

Another positive review from me too. Only local place I could find 245/40/16 Pirelli's for my 84 AC. Great price and service!