2011 991.1 C2S any issues?

THQ

Hi I am looking at purchasing my first Porsche, and I am just asking to check whether there are any issues I need to look out for?  The car is was imported from the UK with above average mileage but mechanically good AFAIK, serviced only at Porsche centres, and is under the extended Porsche warranty still.  Thank you very much.

I am looking for a reliable secondhand sportscar and I do like this car.

Depending on when the car was imported from the UK, the salt laid down on the roads in the British winters can create havoc with the underside of the car. The galvanised body and rubberised underseal protects most of the actual steel panels, but items connected to the suspension, exhaust and ancilliary equipment can be severely compromised. Check header manifold bolts and exhaust hanger brackets for a quick reference point.

You should not be paying Australian $ costs for an import either. I'm sure others more knowledgeable on here will give you a % discount for an imported car.

You don't show where you are located, but a PPI (pre purchase inspection) by an indipendant workshop is a must, even if the car is still under the Porsche warranty..... 

Thank you very much.  Yeah the salt does jog my memory a bit.  I am located in Melbourne around Brighton area.  Is there an independent workshop that is recommended around the area?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Rick V said:

There's a half reasonable write-up on buying a used 991.1 C2S in the latest edition of Total 911 magazine (the one with 20 years of GT3 on the cover).

Thank you. You wouldn't have a digital copy of the article in question handy do you?  Not sure I want to subscribe to a monthly magazine just for a single article.

10 hours ago, THQ said:

Thank you. You wouldn't have a digital copy of the article in question handy do you?  Not sure I want to subscribe to a monthly magazine just for a single article.

THQ, PM me with your  email address.  I can scan and email the article for you as I especially got that issue due to the GT3 content

44 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

THQ, PM me with your  email address.  I can scan and email the article for you as I especially got that issue due to the GT3 content

Thanks very much!  Done.

13 hours ago, THQ said:

Def 991.1

Is it worth a Porsche centre like Brighton doing a pre-purchase inspection?

My 2c is that its worth getting a PPI - however not all are equal. 

Personally I would go to an independent with a good reputation - I use Nick Cascone who is in Moorabbin and highly recommend him.  Darren from Autocoupe in Eltham also has an excellent rep.

I have had a PPI at PCB and was not blown away.  I have heard PCM has a better rep if you're keen on the branding.

31 minutes ago, wilburforce said:

My 2c is that its worth getting a PPI - however not all are equal. 

Personally I would go to an independent with a good reputation - I use Nick Cascone who is in Moorabbin and highly recommend him.  Darren from Autocoupe in Eltham also has an excellent rep.

I have had a PPI at PCB and was not blown away.  I have heard PCM has a better rep if you're keen on the branding.

As a further alternative, a number of us have had very good service from David Brennan who is a mobile Porsche mechanic - Melbourne based - he will go to where the car is located

On 21/07/2019 at 09:04, THQ said:

Thanks for all your advice.  Out of interest, when does the 992 Carreras get delivered to Oz?  I'd imagine that might have an effect on 991 prices too.

Already here - check in at your dealer...

Don't drive one before you put your money down for a series 1, or you might be looking back at 997s!

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 07:45, P-Kay said:

curious on your meaning of your statement.

Do you view the 997 superior and if so in what respect?

On 26/07/2019 at 22:32, Stu said:

I’m interested in the answer to that too!

In my view the electric steering in the 991.1/.2s is not great. I find it pretty lifeless in comparison to the 997s. After driving a 992, they appear to have sorted the electric steering (in my humble experience). 

I wouldn't say they've 'sorted it' in the 992. It is definitely better than a 991, but it is still dull. 991.1 is the worst, then 991.2, then 992. None of them are as good from a 'feel' perspective as a 997.

They are all precise though. The feel I'm talking about is the way the wheel feels alive in your hands. Objectively the new steering makes them easier to drive, just not as engaging.

30 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I wouldn't say they've 'sorted it' in the 992. It is definitely better than a 991, but it is still dull. 991.1 is the worst, then 991.2, then 992. None of them are as good from a 'feel' perspective as a 997.

They are all precise though. The feel I'm talking about is the way the wheel feels alive in your hands. Objectively the new steering makes them easier to drive, just not as engaging.

Agree with your comments, except I haven’t driven a 992 yet so can’t comment on them. I found my (ex) 997.2 to be the benchmark, my early 991.1 was so, so. The 991.1 GTS was definitely an improvement in both steering & manual gear change. The 991.2 is better again in both steering & manual gear change throw & feel. I have become used to the steering & can’t say there is a day where I think I miss the 997.2 steering, I suppose it’s what you get used to. What I do think is the 991.1 & 2 are very good at being able to place the car, I do attribute some of this to chassis & possibly the engine being marginally further forward (PS still miss the NA exhaust bark everyday). 

On 14/08/2019 at 17:54, GC9911 said:

Agree with your comments, except I haven’t driven a 992 yet so can’t comment on them. I found my (ex) 997.2 to be the benchmark, my early 991.1 was so, so. The 991.1 GTS was definitely an improvement in both steering & manual gear change. The 991.2 is better again in both steering & manual gear change throw & feel. I have become used to the steering & can’t say there is a day where I think I miss the 997.2 steering, I suppose it’s what you get used to. What I do think is the 991.1 & 2 are very good at being able to place the car, I do attribute some of this to chassis & possibly the engine being marginally further forward (PS still miss the NA exhaust bark everyday). 

Just bought a 991.1 4S, drove it up from Melbourne, that exhaust note made me laugh out loud about 5 times on the way home... very happy 😃 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just bought a 991.1 4S, drove it up from Melbourne, that exhaust note made me laugh out loud about 5 times on the way home... very happy 😃 

Congratulations, great choice. Great car, NA noise is the best. Pictures??? 

Just now, GC9911 said:

I will take some this weekend... loved the drive, was snow in the freeway at Yass- about 5cm deep on the actual road... fun trip!

2 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Will take it to Berry on Friday next week 👍

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I will take some this weekend... loved the drive, was snow in the freeway at Yass- about 5cm deep on the actual road... fun trip!

Will take it to Berry on Friday next week 👍

Cars & coffee Berry?