My Martini RSR build project

patrick911

.....and now with the front bumper painted in 'tangerine'.

It's hard to see on period pictures as most of them are scanned and some were crappy to begin with, some have washed out colors, etc., but it seems confirmed that the color they used for the bumpers (done to identify the various Martini factory cars; there was a 'green', 'yellow' and 'orange/red' variant) was not the same as the Martini stripe red.

The later 2.1 Turbo and 936 had an even brighter orange (almost like firetruck neon orange) but I wasn't sure that Tangerine is just dark enough but also still clearly different from the Martini stripe red.

I think it looks pretty good even though the restored original (probably for esthetic reasons) opted to use the same color 'red' across the whole car.

AJFCJaW7lH-FtCn7IytSgjsxNxPIfqsGR-xt_5bJ

AJFCJaU0NVrNJZIoD0Kx_sGwrKEmB_7EMgo4zU3p

AJFCJaU8aTo6wcmhuooZYMp-QATvw23JFwtjONFG

• 4 months later...

Last part to get painted is the ducktail, and oh joy, with all the corners and bends, it's the hardest bit to complete.

A few weeks ago we masked for the dark blue surface and painted that, and we now completed the masking for the light blue stripes, so painting of those, and the red line in the middle is next.

ADCreHdNkM-iNyYM52hLVo-CBBDY3iQSK3ma_iVV

ADCreHeSmD2M7FyeR8mwvAc0rCoYoe-po3E7AAS0

ADCreHczB-sjE2z__1NyiXC39GDKBKgLde7WTz9s

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress on the elaborate Martini RSR paintjob:

We've got the top of the ducktail done, but still need to do the text on the back. The Martini logo is done on the left side but now  the right hand side is next, and then we can wrap things up by applying the finishing coat(s) of clear.

So we're getting there, but man has this been a huge under-estimation on my part;  we applied the undercoat Feb 2021, painted the shell (all except outside) white in Oct 2021, silver on the outside was completed Nov 2022 (a year ago!), the dark blue areas were done last February and now it looks like we may finish paint just before Xmas 2023. Crazy!

Anyway, it looks great - even if I say so myself 😁

ADCreHd18X7nK1suV3yW743lbspSptgs6LEu8oX0

ADCreHc2TttVt-zsDx6Z4OLxzc3fM7GWRMn9B-ds

ADCreHfBRWJTdFFCDH-1K9XXygw6SrTbq3Zz6Wzp

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friday afternoon update 😎

All paint, except for the "8" in the first picture, which is just a try-out for now.

AP1GczM8cvkl7Fa7VT1EnV9TTWI3VbTU3cn9JdHo

AP1GczPRtxqPVQw_P9hAaVeZRotaQQPabq6kzWgQ

AP1GczO-d4Dc3rhFJOjHy35CIJC6BkhPPwX4yQut

AP1GczPxzjGjF4MZGaoEGZm-GOHzx2__zZ11BAd4

You may think the lines above and below "PORSCHE" should go all the way to the right side of the "E", but check historic pictures and you'll see this is exactly as it was during the Targa Florio. The recently restored original (R6) car has got the same.

But, to me it points to it being very likely the text back in the day was a sticker, rather than paint, and that those lines were just damage sustained during that May weekend in 1973. Painting it takes too much time and is too expensive for a race car, so the lines were all done in paint, but i guess now that the Martini logos and the texts were likely done with decals.

Anyway, the original was restored all in paint, so there's that. Plus we're too far in now to revert and I prefer this look to be honest.