Fuchs scam on Facebook

Not sure if this is the correct section or not

A low life with the name of Stephen Papas scammed me off $750 on Facebook

He advertised a set of repro Fuchs for $1k. I asked him for the ET so I can measure if they will fit

Next day he sends me a Messenger message saying no one else enquired so he will sell them to me at a discounted price of $750

Something smelt fishy so I asked him for his phone number. I called, we chatted, he seemed to be a genuine nice guy

I transferred the $750 to his bank account

1/2hr later, he sends me another msg saying he can't sell the Fuchs anymore because his ex-girl friend wants them. But no issue, he will transfer the money back

I gave him my bank details then he disappeared and of course, no money got refunded

The fk scumbag must have done this to few people too so I am wondering if any here on PFA got scammed too?

Of course his mobile now is switched off all the time and he's not responding to any messages

Bank cannot cancel the payment

I reported him to the Police. They are confident they will get him because to get a mobile number and a bank account, he must've provided 100 points ID

But most likely I will not get the money back

More concerning to the police that he has a lot of my details so likely he's building an identity theft too

Anyway, lesson learnt. You all should be careful out there. Fk scum like him are everywhere

If someone got scammed by him, let me know so I can put you in touch with the police officer handling the case

Sucks that you got burnt.  Have you thought about using a payment system like PayPal?   That way you have a fallback if you get scammed.  Certainly this is what I do when buying or selling predominately.  Certainly when selling I have a bank account with nothing in it that I can give the details out for deposits but they can get nothing from as it never has anything in it.  Hope the Police find old mate.

Yeah ... @Jason E is correct about Paypal ... if you pay for goods through them they basically guarantee the transaction .

I generally always pay money this way to strangers so this doesn't happen ... of course there's always an exception but you do what you can to limit it ...

Sorry this happened to you ... 😪

Hi Raf

I got scammed on GT for $4700 last week by a Stephen 'Forbes' for panels and rims (see screenshot).  His mobile was 0406127924, his bank details were BSB 083168 and Acc 235179383 and the proposed address was Pennant Hills.

I have had a 'friendly' debt collector visit the address and interview the residents and neighbours.  Seems that there hasn't been any Porsches in that house at all...  

I'd dearly like to join forces to assist in an attempt to ensuring no one else gets stitched up as we have!  

Stephen spoke a good 'game' and at a guess I'd say he was a fringe Porsche guy so please be careful all...  The stitch up has a similar feel as he kept playing the game for a few days after when he really didn't have to.  And it is rather unsffisiticated, all be it good enough for me to donate $4700 haha.  I note he is still active on Gumtree as I occasionally ping a message across and it shows that he has read it... Gumtree are as guilty as he in my opinion and they have been pathetic!

Let's share notes...

Screenshot_20191204-185125.png

8 hours ago, Oldskl60 said:

Hi Raf

I got scammed on GT for $4700 last week by a Stephen 'Forbes' for panels and rims (see screenshot).  His mobile was 0406127924, his bank details were BSB 083168 and Acc 235179383 and the proposed address was Pennant Hills.

I have had a 'friendly' debt collector visit the address and interview the residents and neighbours.  Seems that there hasn't been any Porsches in that house at all...  

I'd dearly like to join forces to assist in an attempt to ensuring no one else gets stitched up as we have!  

Stephen spoke a good 'game' and at a guess I'd say he was a fringe Porsche guy so please be careful all...  The stitch up has a similar feel as he kept playing the game for a few days after when he really didn't have to.  And it is rather unsffisiticated, all be it good enough for me to donate $4700 haha.  I note he is still active on Gumtree as I occasionally ping a message across and it shows that he has read it... Gumtree are as guilty as he in my opinion and they have been pathetic!

Let's share notes...

Screenshot_20191204-185125.png

That's a NAB account at 1099-1169 Pascoe Vale Rd Broadmedows FYI

mate of mine got scammed last week for $500 for deposit on a vw split bus on gumtree..guy went by name of Mark Jacobs..spoke an elaborate game of how he's restoring an old 911 and needed $$ to finish it off...said he's from glen waverly,bank account in broady...

betcha it's the same guy

weird for $500

go to the cops and do the paperwork

1 hour ago, jnr356 said:

mate of mine got scammed last week for $500 for deposit on a vw split bus on gumtree..guy went by name of Mark Jacobs..spoke an elaborate game of how he's restoring an old 911 and needed $$ to finish it off...said he's from glen waverly,bank account in broady...

betcha it's the same guy

weird for $500

go to the cops and do the paperwork

It's actually pretty brilliant.  $500 is a fair bit of coin to a scammer, a good days payout for an advert (that costs nothing, a few emails & maybe a phone call or 2.  $500 is just enough that some people will write it off either as "I'm too embarrassed to go to the cops", or "Fuch it, it's only $500, I won't waste more time/ money chasing it".  There'll be a lot more people than we know of who have sent him "deposits" & a lot of the fraud matters I've investigated (some years ago now) are complex & take a lot of time invested chasing down evidence for little return.  Quite a few people who make a pretty good living look at the cost/ benefit/ time equation/ chance of actually retrieving their money & withdraw the complaint once the passion has cooled.

That's what a lot of these fellows rely on.  When the Piggers finally catch up with them the money is all gone, they head off to Court & get a light sentence within the community any fines go to SPER  & the roundabout begins again.

16 hours ago, rafikdous said:

Not sure if this is the correct section or not

A low life with the name of Stephen Papas scammed me off $750 on Facebook

He advertised a set of repro Fuchs for $1k. I asked him for the ET so I can measure if they will fit

Next day he sends me a Messenger message saying no one else enquired so he will sell them to me at a discounted price of $750

Something smelt fishy so I asked him for his phone number. I called, we chatted, he seemed to be a genuine nice guy

I transferred the $750 to his bank account

1/2hr later, he sends me another msg saying he can't sell the Fuchs anymore because his ex-girl friend wants them. But no issue, he will transfer the money back

I gave him my bank details then he disappeared and of course, no money got refunded

The fk scumbag must have done this to few people too so I am wondering if any here on PFA got scammed too?

Of course his mobile now is switched off all the time and he's not responding to any messages

Bank cannot cancel the payment

I reported him to the Police. They are confident they will get him because to get a mobile number and a bank account, he must've provided 100 points ID

But most likely I will not get the money back

More concerning to the police that he has a lot of my details so likely he's building an identity theft too

Anyway, lesson learnt. You all should be careful out there. Fk scum like him are everywhere

If someone got scammed by him, let me know so I can put you in touch with the police officer handling the case

my mate will contact you through facebook message,so you can combine police investigations

Most likely but to open a back account, he needs few documents.

Got an update from the police, the asked the bank for the account holder details 

I am surprised to hear from you all how often this happens, the scums are living it large

I don't blame the police for not chasing every claim but the banks clearly not doing enough

@Oldskl60 I feel for you mate. I hope whoever scammed you get what they deserve, what goes around comes around

@jnr356 i will look out for him