Buying a 3.2 Carerra

Simonk

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had a chat with the owner and it sounds promising. It sounded like the two owners after me have taken good care of it and had all issues rectified by reputable workshops. It's booked in for a PPI on Monday so fingers crossed I'll have my old girl parked under the Christmas tree shortly.

good luck with the Christmas reunion. I've often wondered what became of some of my old cars. It would be great if your old flame still matches your memory of her.

good luck with the Christmas reunion. I've often wondered what became of some of my old cars. It would be great if your old flame still matches your memory of her.

I just about gave an old car of mine away. It was my first project car. It was a rare car and I just dumped it in the end (long, long story). I put it in the trading post and a guy turned up with a trailer and some cash 7 am the next day. 6 months later I was still getting calls 'you don't still have that car, do you?'. It was nothing special, but rare cars tend to have followers.

I wish I had just stuck it in a shed somewhere. I would have had it fixed up by now. Even if I sold it again it would have been a good runner and gone to a good home. I do hope the guy who bought it fixed it properly and didn't do something horrid.

Oz delivered cars seem to not really suffer much at all. The most rust I've seen on an aussie car (excluding longhoods) is a Carrera 3.0, which had rust in the base of the firewall (basically behind the pedals where the front crossmember bolts to).

But then again Carrera 3.0s are before full gavanisation, which makes a big difference.

Hate to be an anorak, carrera 3.0's were the first production porsche to have Zinc Galvanisation applied to them.

They do rust though, and this is a common area due to water getting in via the centre vent and then dripping down to the footwell(if the pipe from the vent disconnects, which it does alot!)

I have viewed many Rusty Oz Delivered cars. Mainly due to poor accident repair.

I just about gave an old car of mine away. It was my first project car. It was a rare car and I just dumped it in the end (long, long story). I put it in the trading post and a guy turned up with a trailer and some cash 7 am the next day. 6 months later I was still getting calls 'you don't still have that car, do you?'. It was nothing special, but rare cars tend to have followers.

I wish I had just stuck it in a shed somewhere. I would have had it fixed up by now. Even if I sold it again it would have been a good runner and gone to a good home. I do hope the guy who bought it fixed it properly and didn't do something horrid.

What was it?

What was it?

Well, if you *must* know. It was a grey import 1971 Toyota Celica GT. These were not exported to Australia (or any other market, I believe). I came across it as a sad project that someone had butchered with horrible add ons like a fibreglass spoiler and horrid aftermarket wheels. I spent time taking off crass aftermarket parts, but luckily all the original parts were there. It had a twin-cam engine with twin sidedraft carbs, unlike the Australian spec cars which had an anemic pushrod engine with single downdraft. It was no muscle car, but certainly went much better than most other 4 cylinder things and sounded the business. The car was worth a lot just for the unique parts alone, everything from the extremely rare mikuni side draft carbs to the airbox + filter, to the engine flutes, JDM spec guard mirrors. Plus, being an early car it had a drop-tank in the boot with a fold-down filler rather than the C-pillar filler and behind-seat tank of the export models. Plus unique interior parts, trim parts-the list went on and on. And it looked great. Mods were limited to a bigger exhaust, some recaro seats and a steering wheel.

But I was a young guy with not enough money so I couldn't do it properly at the time. By the time I had the car repainted, fixed the engine and put some new wheels on it (original wheels long gone) I was out of cash and out of enthusiasm. I sold it to a family member, who never paid me anything beyond a deposit. After enquiring about it, I found it was clogging up the yard of a mechanic who was chasing payment and threatening to auction it. So I paid the mechanic off and it was unceremoniously dumped on my front yard by a tow truck with the engine in pieces in the boot, interior in terrible condition (looked like someones dog had been chewing on the seats) and the brakes no longer functioning. Plus covered in thick dust and with some rust breaking out in places that used to be clean original steel.

At that point I just had enough and let it go to the first person with a trailer and some cash. I just hope that guy restored it properly.

Wiki has a picture of the same type of car :

800px-1970_Toyota_Celica_01.jpg

Unfortunately this one is on some type of jacks and looks like a Paris-dakar entrant. But that is the car, right down to the hexagon grille, bonnet flutes and aluminium sill panels. I eventually took off the guard-mirrors and relocated them to the doors, because it looked funny, although these days its de-rigeur to have them on the guards for that authentic JDM look.

/sorry to clog porsche forum :P

Glad you asked the question Wasser, I was wondering what it was as well.

Best shape of the Celica's. Ha Ha, Don't you just love those guard mirrors.

Most of the Japanese companies went down that track for whatever reason as you probably know.

Well hopefully things will go better for your new "re-possession" if it goes ahead.

To be clear : it's not me who is repossessing. I merely thread-high jacked with a toyota story.

I will finish my hijack with this : the original celica is the only one worth having - the T series engine was a square design, which made it very revvy. The model above is a 'TA22' - A22 being the chassis code, and 'T' denoting the engine series - the engine fitted was a 2T-G, with G denoting the high performance (!) version. Australia went from T-series engines to R series engines, so we got the RA23 model. This had the same engine as the Corona and Hilux, which, while reliable, were no powerhouse and certainly not fun to drive. So the original Celica was the only one worth having, before they descended into barge status, then horrifyingly, into FWD hairdresser mobile awfulness.

Ironically, 40 years after this affordable, two door, lightweight 4 cylinder sports car was launched by Toyota, they finally launched another (the 86). And everyone seems to love it. Why exactly must car companies continually lose their way and bloat their models to the point of irrelevance, only to find themselves having to launch a new model to recapture things? See also 3 series and 1 series BMW, and countless other examples.

/thread hijack over. Sorry.

My wife had a Sillycar when I first met her, but only a LT1600.

I'll never forget seeing a restored GT in a metallic purple, super lumpy cams and dumped in a big way.

Left such an impression that I still remember it clear as day.

Well, if you *must* know. It was a grey import 1971 Toyota Celica GT. These were not exported to Australia (or any other market, I believe). I came across it as a sad project that someone had butchered with horrible add ons like a fibreglass spoiler and horrid aftermarket wheels. I spent time taking off crass aftermarket parts, but luckily all the original parts were there. It had a twin-cam engine with twin sidedraft carbs, unlike the Australian spec cars which had an anemic pushrod engine with single downdraft. It was no muscle car, but certainly went much better than most other 4 cylinder things and sounded the business. The car was worth a lot just for the unique parts alone, everything from the extremely rare mikuni side draft carbs to the airbox + filter, to the engine flutes, JDM spec guard mirrors. Plus, being an early car it had a drop-tank in the boot with a fold-down filler rather than the C-pillar filler and behind-seat tank of the export models. Plus unique interior parts, trim parts-the list went on and on. And it looked great. Mods were limited to a bigger exhaust, some recaro seats and a steering wheel.

But I was a young guy with not enough money so I couldn't do it properly at the time. By the time I had the car repainted, fixed the engine and put some new wheels on it (original wheels long gone) I was out of cash and out of enthusiasm. I sold it to a family member, who never paid me anything beyond a deposit. After enquiring about it, I found it was clogging up the yard of a mechanic who was chasing payment and threatening to auction it. So I paid the mechanic off and it was unceremoniously dumped on my front yard by a tow truck with the engine in pieces in the boot, interior in terrible condition (looked like someones dog had been chewing on the seats) and the brakes no longer functioning. Plus covered in thick dust and with some rust breaking out in places that used to be clean original steel.

At that point I just had enough and let it go to the first person with a trailer and some cash. I just hope that guy restored it properly.

Thats cool, When someone merely says 'A Car' , had a car.....etc....I want to know what it was.

One of my clients recently bought a Celica 'Mustang' style fastback with the same front end of the car you pictured....it was a Jap import and he had lusted after it ever since he first saw one......

When he showed it to me it was very impressive. It looked 'cool'. You just know it was special as I had never seen one of these before.....It must have been for what he paid for it :o

Anyway.............back on topic "carrera 3.2"

Thanks for the explanation!!!

Oh and as for a PPI in the Melbourne area (kinda) get the people that did mine to do it.. I can't remember his name (been a long day) is out Mitcham way - Phil Hearn! There you go I remembered. He is brilliant, very experienced P mechanic.

Phil is out in Eltham at Auto Coupe and they look after my car. Great bussiness with geat people who are truly passionate about what they do.

Well, sadly this story doesn't have a happy ending...Not just yet anyway. Whilst my old Moss Green Carrera is apparently a good original example, it just needs too much money spent on it to bring it up to standard. So for now I'll be playing the waiting game until something worthy comes along. Thanks again everyone for your advice and hopefully I'll be back on here in the near future showing off another car.

Simon

When I watch Wheeler Dealers, and whenever they put a car up on the hoist, the sight of all those rusted nuts and bolts (even on pretty newish cars) gives me the willies.

Even tho the post 78 911s are galvanised, even late 80s models are getting rusty over there, eg:

http://www.pbcm.co.u...supersport.html

Some bargains to be had, I'm sure, but you would def. want to shop carefully :)

lol glad it's not just me! that subaru was the worst.

from a guy who didn't do a PPI, bought sight unseen from eBay after asking 2 questions regarding chain tensinoners and headstuds, then drove the 2000km from Melbourne to Brisbane after an oil change (on a 315,000km 2.7) i'd say go for it! so long as theres service records and it's the car you like... you might not get this chance again

EDIT: lol, probably helps if i read the thread right to the end... what needs doing?

Well, sadly this story doesn't have a happy ending...Not just yet anyway. Whilst my old Moss Green Carrera is apparently a good original example, it just needs too much money spent on it to bring it up to standard. So for now I'll be playing the waiting game until something worthy comes along. Thanks again everyone for your advice and hopefully I'll be back on here in the near future showing off another car.

Simon

Can you share what sort of things need doing? Are we talking mechanical issues? Rust?

I don't want to say too much because it's not fair on the seller, particularly if he rectifies some of the issues. The car overall isn't too bad. The engine is running great at the moment but a couple areas where it is weaping oil hint that a rebuild is on the cards. The paintwork also wouldn't suit a perfectionist. At the right price it could be a good car for someone, just not me.

Great story and good luck with the quest, the right car takes a while. Some 911's have been for sale for years, others go in a day. I got the heads-up about mine before it hit the showroom floor.

Hard to believe mine would be one of only 75 Aust delivered 3.2's though?? I mean I wonder how many would now be left. That number seems awfully low - one sale nationally per month?

Sorry should clarify ..75 coupes.. as per Jason Pasco....

I do stand corrected but that was my understanding from his email when you i queried my car and delivery numbers

Great story and good luck with the quest, the right car takes a while. Some 911's have been for sale for years, others go in a day. I got the heads-up about mine before it hit the showroom floor.

Hard to believe mine would be one of only 75 Aust delivered 3.2's though?? I mean I wonder how many would now be left. That number seems awfully low - one sale nationally per month?

Yeah, I wondered about that 75 delivery number as well.

I had a MY89 3.2 and it was a very sad day indeed when I let it go.

BTW nice avatar Boxer.

Maybe the 75 discussed previously was for a specific year ?

I also requested info for C3.2 for 1985 and got the following for that year only:

- 97 coupes

- 38 targas

- 28 cabs

- 47 turbos

From 1984 - 1989, one would expect there should be a few hundred coupes delivered to Aust.

Archived