Exhaust problems???

T-Man

In the car this morning with my mate and our kids and we pull up behind a red Testarossa. Certainly a rare sight in the Northern 'burbs of Melbourne, especially with a young guy driving, but then again who knows what sort of business these guys are up to. Some are extremely enterprising, I'm sure. Anyhow, my mate and I proceeded to discuss the "quality" of these cars and how on this particular example the fins on the door and the rear qtr didn't line up correctly etc, etc.....

But the biggest disappointment by far was the exhaust note, or rather the lack of it, as it took off. It sounded shallow and thin with no depth or crispness that you would expect.

My 11 year old summed it up perfectly...."Dad your Porsche sounds so much better than that. You can't even hear it!" Ah, very bright little boy!!!!!

Which brings me to this afternoon's event. Xander (Mr 11) has been begging me to take him to the latest Bond flick. He has a thing for Bond and thinks that it's really cool that he drives an Aston. So we bust out the Porka and make our way out of the Northern 'burbs to to Doncaster. Movie finishes and we start up the Porka inching out of the parking bay as we await a Merc ML doing a 35 point turn.

So were sitting there at idle with the window open when a woman, probably in 50s, walking by with a bloke tells me...."Get ya car serviced mate, it sounds embarrassing!"

I looked at her, I looked at Xander, Xander looked at me, I scratched my head and wondered why my Fisters annoyed her so. Hey, just earlier in the day the 11 year old basically told me it sounds better than a Ferrari! I was very tempted to give her the full 6500RPM Stage-3 wrath as I went by her down the road but thought that would make me a bigger d**k than her.

Hubby didn't say anything or even look over. Maybe he thought that she sounded embarrassing? Nonetheless it caught me by surprise and we had a laugh with Xander. Some people!!!

I've heard Testarossas before, and they mainly just sound smooth at idle. The snarl doesn't really kick in until you're really up it. I guess that's the 12 cylinder thing, they're so turbine smooth, they don't have much of a burble at idle.

That's in stock form, anyway :D In modified form...

So were sitting there at idle with the window open when a woman, probably in 50s, walking by with a bloke tells me...."Get ya car serviced mate, it sounds embarrassing!"

Sounds like jealousy hiding under a snide remark. Part of owning a P car unfortunately.

Listen to Mr 11, he know's a good thing when he hears it :)

What an odd thing to say, was she serious? I guess you didn't see what she was driving?

Kid you not Hugh, she looked square at me and was maybe 10mt away so she had to say it loud enough for not only us to hear but anybody around as well. It was the strangest thing and to be honest I was a little lost for words.

Xander and I were just looking at each other thinking, "did she just say what she did?"

Ah me, it is oh so simple.

She's frustrated, she is getting old, she's just watched a movie with Brad Pitt and her old man is ugly, she is grumpy and she has not had 'it' for a long time.

And there you are, right in her face, looking good, sounding good, having fun with your kid.

Jealousy makes some people really ugly . . . . . .

As above. The average Joe Pleb thinks if you can hear the engine over the tyre drone, there's something wrong with it.

The national identity and love of cars is diminishing into tiny pockets, and the likes of ACA and TT are causing the demise of car culture in Australia.

Theo, "Ignorance breeds contempt", that, and the fact that she was totally embarrassed by her, or her car's, poor u-turn capabilities!

Someone once told me in spite that my 2.7 sounded like "an over-blown vee-dub!!!" .... yeah, ........ and there is an insult coming is there?!?!... LOL! I'm afraid she also missed the point!

Kerry

Appreciate all the support gents.

I am so distraught that I'm thinking about buying a Prius!

Either that or add some sport cats to the Fister Stage-3s and hunt her down and do a SMT drive by at 5 in the morning!!!!!!

Actually I'm going to drill out the airbox tonight!!

While on the subject of rude people,

what is it with inconsiderate drivers who seem to go right out of their way to cut you off and not let you into their lane,

if they see you speeding up to overtake they will speed up to make sure you can not get where you want to go.

I have really noticed this about other drivers while I'm driving a Porsche more so than other brands.

Ahhhhhh dyno tuning a car. Always so much better when it's not yours on the rollers. I remember standing beside my FJ20 Turbo being tuned thinking its about the explode as not used to hearing te car from the outside and beside the engine bay at full song.

Very unnerving.

I looked at her, I looked at Xander, Xander looked at me, I scratched my head and wondered why my Fisters annoyed her so. Hey, just earlier in the day the 11 year old basically told me it sounds better than a Ferrari! I was very tempted to give her the full 6500RPM Stage-3 wrath as I went by her down the road but thought that would make me a bigger d**k than her.

Hubby didn't say anything or even look over. Maybe he thought that she sounded embarrassing? Nonetheless it caught me by surprise and we had a laugh with Xander. Some people!!!

Rhymes with witch. Wish you had have seen what she got into..... Well done on not giving her some attitude back. Although she deserved a couple of well placed words.

I just discussed the problem you encountered yesterday, with my wife over breakfast this morning.

She said straight off, "it's a jealousy thing and she was having a very bad day", to cause that outburst.

I think that would solve the reason for the comment. and.....

It must be true because my wife has never been wrong in her life.

I might lend you the yellow Box, so you learn to get used to comments from the "ill at ease" out there.

I just discussed the problem you encountered yesterday, with my wife over breakfast this morning.

She said straight off, "it's a jealousy thing and she was having a very bad day", to cause that outburst.

I think that would solve the reason for the comment. and.....

It must be true because my wife has never been wrong in her life.

I might lend you the yellow Box, so you learn to get used to comments from the "ill at ease" out there.

Niko, I hear you loud and clear, used to cop heaps from other drivers when I had my Boxter.

Archived