Porsche HomeLink

Dave997S

This is fitted to my 997S (option code 608 - garage door opener 433Hz) but for the life of me (well I have had 4 attempts) I cannot seem to get it to sync with my garage door opener remotes.

Anyone here got any tips / hints? I have been following the manual, just about to check my garage door specs to see if it has anything.

35 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

This is fitted to my 997S (option code 608 - garage door opener 433Hz) but for the life of me (well I have had 4 attempts) I cannot seem to get it to sync with my garage door opener remotes.

Anyone here got any tips / hints? I have been following the manual, just about to check my garage door specs to see if it has anything.

Yeah i had a similar issue with synching my gate opener spare button with my garage opener. Turns out my garage uses a completely different frequency. Do you know the make and model of your garage opener ?........ actually might be best not to share that publicly.

1 hour ago, wobaby said:

Yeah i had a similar issue with synching my gate opener spare button with my garage opener. Turns out my garage uses a completely different frequency. Do you know the make and model of your garage opener ?........ actually might be best not to share that publicly.

Yeah, I’m trying to track down the owners manual for the details.

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

I didnt think homelink worked in Oz? I could be wrong I was always told to never order it or is it the 996 version that never worked?

It was a delivered option in Aus so I’d assume Porsche wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work otherwise the original owner got stooged up by the salesperson 😬😂

Easy fix, ( well in theory its easy) buy a 433hz receiver & transmitter, mount the receiver adjacent to or in the existing door controller. Wire the new controller output terminals in parallel with the existing controller. Use the new 433hz transmitter to program the Homelink transmitter. 

Homelink in Aus is useless. It's not the frequency but the encoding that is the problem. I had a really old opener with a simple non rolling code that worked but when I upgraded to a modern rolling code system no way would it learn. It seems the company that manufacture homelink have agreements with most European garage door manufactures that allows them to learn and then emit the rolling codes. They have no or few agreements with those  that sell openers in Aus so are unable to learn the codes. The entire purpose of the rolling code system is to make it impossible for a thief to monitor a transmission or two and learn how to generate new codes and open your door. Once the code to open is used it becomes useless and will not open the door again. Having Homelink learn how to generate codes is exactly what thieves want to do as well. This sort of product really has no place in a secure world. 

21 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Homelink in Aus is useless. It's not the frequency but the encoding that is the problem. I had a really old opener with a simple non rolling code that worked but when I upgraded to a modern rolling code system no way would it learn. It seems the company that manufacture homelink have agreements with most European garage door manufactures that allows them to learn and then emit the rolling codes. They have no or few agreements with those  that sell openers in Aus so are unable to learn the codes. The entire purpose of the rolling code system is to make it impossible for a thief to monitor a transmission or two and learn how to generate new codes and open your door. Once the code to open is used it becomes useless and will not open the door again. Having Homelink learn how to generate codes is exactly what thieves want to do as well. This sort of product really has no place in a secure world. 

Yeah ours is a rolling code system...bugger. it would have been a neat party trick.

Thanks.

I wired up my own when I had the 996. I bought a button and installed it in the console in a spare slot. Got a controller and hard wired it into the car with easy access to replace the battery. At least I knew that would work and it did. All  you need to be able to do is use a soldering iron and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 00:30, ArthurK said:

I wired up my own when I had the 996. I bought a button and installed it in the console in a spare slot. Got a controller and hard wired it into the car with easy access to replace the battery. At least I knew that would work and it did. All  you need to be able to do is use a soldering iron and you are good to go.

I’m just about to do exactly this. One Porsche rocker switch, gate one way, garage door the other. PCM spares guy asked wtf I was going to use a targa rocker switch for, personal amusement was my response!

2 hours ago, KGB said:

I’m just about to do exactly this. One Porsche rocker switch, gate one way, garage door the other. PCM spares guy asked wtf I was going to use a targa rocker switch for, personal amusement was my response!

I used the targa rocker switch for mine :)

Porsche 996 Targa Roof Tocker Switch 99661311910A05 ...

On 02/06/2020 at 00:30, ArthurK said:

Fantastic idea! I have a different controller for work and home so this will be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave986, and others, you may have already sorted this problem out, but I will tell you how I solved the problem.  I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance, a fantastic car, with built in Homelink working at 433MHz.  My old garage door has two pins on the controller and a newer door some terminals under the cover.  They are the same terminals/pins as you would connect to a hardwired remote button.  I bought this cheap device, and connected a 12V DC plug pack to it.  The other normally open terminals I connected to the garage doors.  It can control two doors.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATA-PTX4-Compatible-Add-on-Garage-Gate-Receiver-Stand-Alone-433-92-MHz/252381285033?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I purchased a Liftaway remote, Part number 30242, from Bunnings.  I linked the remote to the new add on receiver. It is a rolling code device.  After that I had to get the Tesla's Homelink unit to link to the remote.  The receiver was at the front of the car but it would not pick up the Liftway remote.  I borrowed one of my wife's metal mixing bowls from the kitchen and used that as an antenna behind the remote, aimed at the front of the car.  I had wasted half an hour before that trying to get it work and then in the space of 30 seconds it was done.

I had an older model Homelink mirror from about 8 years ago in my Cayman which I installed myself.  It still worked with rolling codes but from memory it operated on different frequencies to the newer Homelink.  The Liftaway will not work on the old Homelink.  On the old unit, at least, perhaps like in the 996, there are different ways of programming different remotes according to the brand.