A word of warning.

Arne Krix

My daughter got me a can of wheel cleaner. You Spray the Wheel , let the foam sit there for a minute , and hose it with water. Now I have a clean wheel. My centre caps are silver with the porsche crest in Color , let’s just say the crest is black only now. The cleaner took of the paint as well. Anybody had that happen? Other than not using that product again , do you think spraying the cap with a clear paint will fix that?

Must admit I've pretty much gone away from anything in can these days (apart from CRC 🙂 ).  I've been using the Autoglym Acid Free Wheel Cleaner for the past couple of years, and while it doesn't do the fancy colour change that Meguiars does, it works very well, and buying in the 4L container, is very good value, as you decant it into your own spray bottle for use.

6 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Must admit I've pretty much gone away from anything in can these days (apart from CRC 🙂 ).  I've been using the Autoglym Acid Free Wheel Cleaner for the past couple of years, and while it doesn't do the fancy colour change that Meguiars does, it works very well, and buying in the 4L container, is very good value, as you decant it into your own spray bottle for use.

Great tip, thank you.

6 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

Great tip, thank you.

Further tip, relating to CRC, is that it is fantastic for removing tar from your wheels, and probably body as well.  Spray it on, wait a minute or so, and you will see a brown stain start to appear around the tar spot, rub off with a rag (you might need to rub pretty hard at times), repeat as necessary 🙂 

40 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Just an FYI that I also use their ZERO bucket method with the Carrera

He's got some informative videos on YouTube

I just watched a video on this.

So you wait until you feel like your mitt is contaminated before you rinse it off rather than rinsing it off every time like you do in a 2 bucket method? Don't you risk marring the paintwork before you  realise it's contaminated?

How many times do you rinse off the mitt during an average wash?

11 minutes ago, rego said:

How many times do you rinse off the mitt during an average wash?

I rinse after each panel using their 'curvy lady' wash mit

To be honest, the car is a fair weather car, so it does not get that dirty. I use different sponges/towels for the inner wheel arches and wheels

54 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

I rinse after each panel using their 'curvy lady' wash mit

To be honest, the car is a fair weather car, so it does not get that dirty. I use different sponges/towels for the inner wheel arches and wheels

Fair enough, I guess it's even less risk then a rinse bucket as it can't get contaminated. Seems like a lot of effort though.

Back to washing wheels, I just use normal wash soap or foam every time and Iron remover when it's needed. I run race brake pads so I get shitloads of dust.

Most important thing is getting into the cracks to agitate the dirt off. I find that a microfibre cloth gets into the curves well, a detailing brush works well to get into the lugs and a wheel woolie does a good job of cleaning the wheel barrel as well as the guard liners.

Pretty sure most of the Iron removers use the same active ingredient which is the same chemical used for perming hair (only known because I'm a Boxster owner). It's a bit over $100 for 4L which should last you a long time.