944, 924 to purchase

Diclofenac

Start with Clarks Garage web site, there is a section there on “Purchasing a 944” and what to look out for. 

https://www.clarks-garage.com

its been said before, as these cars can be expensive to fix, buy the best you can afford. As the most expensive one is a cheap one. 

9 hours ago, Diclofenac said:

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying a 944, a 924 turbo or something similar. Any suggestions for where is best to look? What to look out for? Prices? Etc?

Thanks! 

Same same but not

944 turbo 40k plus 

924 turbo spend as much as you can , as  you will likely spend as much as you can

7 minutes ago, Diclofenac said:

Thanks Brian and Michel! I'll read that article now.

924 turbo sounds like a nightmare haha.

Hmmm is a 944 NA in good shape pretty reliable though?

All older Porsches have their idiosyncrasies .. I have a 924 Turbo and haven't had an issue with it in 6 years. It needs a total restoration but I drive it regularly and it goes like a bat outta hell. 

My son has a 944 that was immaculately restored over 19 years and is a showstopper.  It has had its fair share of issues that you wouldn't expect from such a beautiful car. Everything is sorted now but at times it was a journey I wasn't happy to take.

As with any car, it's a matter of troubleshooting and diagnosis. This can be harder with these older cars as parts are also starting to get harder to find.

I'll leave you with this image of me, my son and @SteveF with his 924 Turbo at a Cars N Coffee this morning .. 😀

20210404_091619.jpg

I'll throw in my 2c worth here (much to Dreamers chagrin.....).

Having recently sold my 944S2 & purchased a 996, I find myself missing my 944 quite a bit.  I miss the handling most of all which was sublime.

I still think selling it was a good idea as I don't have enough mechanical ability (or time to aquire same) & no really trusted indy mechanics here in Brisbane with a passion for this branch of the Porsche family.

Like any Porsche expensive or cheap - they all cost Porsche money for parts & labour if you don't plan to spin the spanners yourself.  Absolutely wait till you find one that has had a previous owner that has cared for it in the appropriate way & you'll be a long way ahead.

Touch base with @bear924 as he's had a 924 turbo for 20years or so - he should know what they need to make long term ownership a realistic prospect.

I can't say enough good things about the S2 overall.  Less work required than the Turbo for almost as much power & far more everyday usability.

Unless you are looking for a project they are dear to put right.  The mechanicals are probably the cheaper end of a rolling resto.  I found sourcing good quality interior bits the hardest as it is all becoming rarer these days.

Whichever way you go they are a great machine.

Wow this group is really helpful. I appreciate everyone's feedback/insight. S2 sounds like a good idea, although they are probably slightly out of my price range presently.

I drove a 1984 911SC as a DD for about 18 years and my dad is a mechanic but he is in Canada so I don't have the support of a mechanic here in Australia.

I really don't know much about the 944 or 924.

I will touch base with bear924 thanks!

22 minutes ago, Diclofenac said:

Wow this group is really helpful. I appreciate everyone's feedback/insight. S2 sounds like a good idea, although they are probably slightly out of my price range presently.

I drove a 1984 911SC as a DD for about 18 years and my dad is a mechanic but he is in Canada so I don't have the support of a mechanic here in Australia.

I really don't know much about the 944 or 924.

I will touch base with bear924 thanks!

Don't be fooled by that @Jason E guy .. he pretends to be your friend, help you and then .... WHAMMO! Wants something in return.

I'm scarred for life with what he wanted from me! ... :ph34r:

The 968 is also part of this branch of Porsche cars.  It was the last iteration of Porsche building of front engined, water cooled sports cars.  They come in 2 flavours - loved (manual gear box) and unloved (automatic gear box).  Mine is an auto and I love it as I can drive it in traffic in auto/lazy mode, or in the twisty bits in a 'semi' manual mode by flicking the gear lever to the right and pushing it forward or backward to select a different gear that it'll keep until you bounce it off the rev limiter or slow to a stop and it'll revert to 2nd.....

As Jason said, the handling of these cars is sensational.

@Diclofenac ... if you don’t ask, you won’t receive.

Sorry, but this is one car that will be staying with me for life. It’s one of the most fun cars I’ve ever driven. I also have a 996 C4S and often prefer to drive the little Turbo.

Sean Connery once famously said he'd never play Bond again. Then he did. They called the movie “Never Say Never Again” ... so I won’t say I’ll never sell it, but probably never! ... :Chuckle2:

When you’re ready to pull the trigger, or even if you’re not ready, I’m happy to have a chat if you need any advice, information, etc.

Cheers ....

Heh good choice of name for the movie, I didn't know that.

I saw a video of a guy driving a 924 turbo and it honestly looked so fun (and dangerous). The driver wasn't doing anything particularly interesting on the drive though.

Thanks @Dreamr I'll keep that in mind! I tried to send you a PM but it said you can't accept messages how can I reach you?

@Diclofenac where are you located? If you are in Sydney you are welcome to have a look at my 924 Turbo and I can share insights on this and a 944 as I have had both. Both are fantastic cars but the turbo is something else. For a 40 year old car it really packs a punch and is a hoot to drive.

17 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Don't be fooled by that @Jason E guy .. he pretends to be your friend, help you and then .... WHAMMO! Wants something in return.

I'm scarred for life with what he wanted from me! ... :ph34r:

Rumour has it, he is in constant contact with criminal elements..... need I say more😉😉

Best part of “trying to decide” is the journey. Take the opportunity to talk to owners of various owners & different models. Most owners will talk your ear off. There are Porsche events some through PFA, Porsche state Clubs  (Victoria, NSW, QLD etc etc), Cars & Coffees and other car clubs. Don’t be afraid to leave a card or note on a car with your contact details to discuss there car.
Porsche Club Victoria web site and other state clubs have a “Marketplace” where members post cars for sale. You don’t need to be a member to view the adverts. 

A word of warning: most Porsche clubs are 911 centric. But there is different sub tribes for all the different models & sub models. 
Make some phone calls and contact as many people as you can to discuss the cars and enjoy the people, discussion and journey. 
Knowing Pcar people you may get the opportunity to hear about a car coming up for sale that won’t be listed on Carsales. 

Good luck.