This one looks good yeh? Amanda's shopping thread

i dunno why km's should put you off a car, i'd rather something that gets driven regularly rather than something that sits in a shed and gets used rarely

totally agree.. our cars need to be run on a regular basis to keep in tip top mechanical condition, sitting around things get brittle and develop leaks etc

i've seen 3.2's with 200,000km's less than mine that have been in terrible condition, both mechanically and cosmetically

Amanda don't write a car off or place less value on it just due to km's.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

totally agree.. our cars need to be run on a regular basis to keep in tip top mechanical condition, sitting around things get brittle and develop leaks etc

i've seen 3.2's with 200,000km's less than mine that have been in terrible condition, both mechanically and cosmetically

Amanda don't write a car off or place less value on it just due to km's.

I'll write it off if its too expensive!

I agree that a car sitting around not getting used will deteriorate somewhat but it isn't actually accumulating mechanical wear like it would if it was being driven for tens of thousands of km

You are totally correct there... that is different :)  :)

I've been stuck at home today, I'm on call and had a few work issues to sort out with lots of spare time up my sleeve.  So been reading up a bit on the 996.  It seems the more research I do, the more confused I feel  :unsure:

You got cars like this

133619734.jpg?height=290&aspect=centered

And then I think well... if you go water cooled, back seats in the 996 aren't much use for adults.. might as well look at this cos it's 5 years newer and hella pretty

cp5327827853454338480.jpg?height=290&asp

So that is what I've been up to today.

Originally when I sold the GTI it was to buy a 986 Boxster S around the 2000 year vintage for roughly what the GTI sold for.  Somewhere along the line, I got lost.. ended up in 964 Cab Street and then arrived at SLK350 avenue... and have no friggin idea where the hell I am now!

I think I have gone crazziiiiiiiiiiie

You are totally correct there... that is different :)  :)

I've been stuck at home today, I'm on call and had a few work issues to sort out with lots of spare time up my sleeve.  So been reading up a bit on the 996.  It seems the more research I do, the more confused I feel  :unsure:

You got cars like this

133619734.jpg?height=290&aspect=centered

And then I think well... if you go water cooled, back seats in the 996 aren't much use for adults.. might as well look at this cos it's 5 years newer and hella pretty

cp5327827853454338480.jpg?height=290&asp

So that is what I've been up to today.

Originally when I sold the GTI it was to buy a 986 Boxster S around the 2000 year vintage for roughly what the GTI sold for.  Somewhere along the line, I got lost.. ended up in 964 Cab Street and then arrived at SLK350 avenue... and have no friggin idea where the hell I am now!

I think I have gone crazziiiiiiiiiiie

OMG 5 years ago that 996 cab. would have been close to $100k! values on 996's have crashed.

The Boxster looks good value.  major service just done on a 7 year old Porsche for $40k.  987 came with a host of upgrades and a much improved interior.

OMG 5 years ago that 996 cab. would have been close to $100k! values on 996's have crashed.

The Boxster looks good value.  major service just done on a 7 year old Porsche for $40k.  987 came with a host of upgrades and a much improved interior.

Yes I wonder how low they'll go??

I think the yellow S needs tyres unless the current owner put some on after I spoke to him a month or so ago, he quoted $3000 or so to put boots on it, I think you can do good quality for less than that though

I think the yellow S needs tyres unless the current owner put some on after I spoke to him a month or so ago, he quoted $3000 or so to put boots on it, I think you can do good quality for less than that though

Tell him he's dreamin....I picked up some nice OEM wheels, plus a nice set of yoky stickies for a few hundred less than 3k.

is it the same car?  That 987 isn't an S.. just a basic one :)  Tyres, not a big deal.. I wouldn't spend $3k on tyres pffffft

There's also a white 986 S in Melbourne with just 55,000 km on it...  and we all know my fetish for white cars!!!!! 

I agree that a car sitting around not getting used will deteriorate somewhat but it isn't actually accumulating mechanical wear like it would if it was being driven for tens of thousands of km

In short no. Aircooled cars (and to a lesser extent watercooled) that get driven tend to live longer lives than cars that sit in sheds getting looked at. I would rather rebuild a motor that done 400,000klms than reseal a motor that has sat for 20 years.

Yeh I like that car too...  but it looks a bit rough tho?  Take off the whale tail.. original cookie cutters or fuchs, plus a black carrera decal down the sides HAWT!

Yeh I like that car too...  but it looks a bit rough tho?  Take off the whale tail.. original cookie cutters or fuchs, plus a black carrera decal down the sides HAWT!

I agree! Whale tails to me don't suit every car, this one fits that category. And put period wheels on, yeah, floats my boat. You think it's a bit rough? I didn't notice but wasn't perhaps looking as closely as you, I have a P car already! ;)

I agree! Whale tails to me don't suit every car, this one fits that category. And put period wheels on, yeah, floats my boat. You think it's a bit rough? I didn't notice but wasn't perhaps looking as closely as you, I have a P car already! ;)

I am making some assumptions - its $23k and hasn't sold..  must be rough right!  Judging a book by it's cover tsk tsk tsk

My 2cents is that it's not the kind of car that people rush out and buy either. It's missing a couple of ticks in most peoples must have boxes IE coupe,3ltr etc.

The klms ring some alarm bells also for me. Still I'd be calling and asking some questions. Just the cost of a phone call.

I also think your right with some stock wheels,the tea tray gone and black Porsche script on the side it would look 500 times better.

My 2cents is that it's not the kind of car that people rush out and buy either. It's missing a couple of ticks in most peoples must have boxes IE coupe,3ltr etc.

The klms ring some alarm bells also for me. Still I'd be calling and asking some questions. Just the cost of a phone call.

I also think your right with some stock wheels,the tea tray gone and black Porsche script on the side it would look 500 times better.

yeh the lovely little grey Targa 2.7L in Tas hasn't sold either.  On the surface it looks like a very nice car. Clearly there's not much of a market for them out there.   Also the adverts for these cars tell you very little too, not much work done to sell the car by the seller.

I like 'em original tho and clean lines!

I want Russ car :P   :)

Archived