This one looks good yeh? Amanda's shopping thread

"Does this one not interest you Amanda? I think Weisser has brought it up a couple times. Seems like a good buy to me and with a recent rebuild buy someone highly regarded by people on this forum, you'd have some piece of mind that it wasn't going to bankrupt you in the foreseeable future."

This C3 has been on the market for a fair while, thought about it before purchasing my 3.2 coupe. In hind sight maybe should have gone for it, because of the rarity factor.

Anyhoo if you could talk him down a few $$$$, would be (dare I say it) a good investment.

Having owned a 1969 911S TARGA & a 71 914, both lhd-->RHD conversion's, if done right, (using 911 RHD components), they will drive as well as an OZZY delivered car. I know they will never be worth as much etc etc, but if you want to drive & enjoy, dont discount a well done conversion.

Good hunting

cheers

John

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't know if wiper resting is the be all and end all of LHD vs RHD though, i've seen some australian delivered cars with their wipers resting on the wrong side...

Yep the wipers are a good hint but not something you should count on.

Ice Green targa looks good in a late 70's way.

Wipers are a hint but there is a mod available to convert the "park" position.  Another clue is the side mirrors, the drivers mirror is mounted further forward on the door.

i don't know if wiper resting is the be all and end all of LHD vs RHD though, i've seen some australian delivered cars with their wipers resting on the wrong side...

maybe we should start a kickstarter or crowdsource "time for amanda to get a 911"

That is interesting...  maybe Porsche decided late in the build phase whether or not they'd be RHD or LHD

Yeh that is pretty nice JJ 'cept for the dash and seats but easily fixed :)

"Does this one not interest you Amanda? I think Weisser has brought it up a couple times. Seems like a good buy to me and with a recent rebuild buy someone highly regarded by people on this forum, you'd have some piece of mind that it wasn't going to bankrupt you in the foreseeable future."

This C3 has been on the market for a fair while, thought about it before purchasing my 3.2 coupe. In hind sight maybe should have gone for it, because of the rarity factor.

Anyhoo if you could talk him down a few $$$$, would be (dare I say it) a good investment.

Having owned a 1969 911S TARGA & a 71 914, both lhd-->RHD conversion's, if done right, (using 911 RHD components), they will drive as well as an OZZY delivered car. I know they will never be worth as much etc etc, but if you want to drive & enjoy, dont discount a well done conversion.

Good hunting

cheers

John

Cheers John...  I have to say that car does not interest me in the slightest. I'm pretty sure it's an import too and I'm not wanting an import.

That looks like a nice car, JJ.  :)

Agreed, its very nice!

Plenty here to lend some floaties!

I know Tazman :) but this particular car does not interest me.

I think I've said this somewhere else, I'm not quite ready to buy, I have a few financial things to tidy up.. and I haven't seen anything on the market that makes me want to rush and buy before I am ready.  I want a clear space financially to ensure that I get off to a good start in the event I need to spend some coin on the car.

I don't know about others, but browsing carsales became an obsession for me 2 years ago when I first started my research. Back then, owning one was really just a dream but now that I've actually made that dream happen, I can't shake the obsession of looking at what's on the market. Every day I'm on there seeing if something new has popped up. I guess I like knowing what's around, what they're worth, and if there's any like mine on the market so I can keep an eye on the value of mine. I don't know why any of us bother posting ads for you as obviously you have the same obsession. Only you've probably contacted half the sellers and have a better idea of what's really on offer. I think we just find it fun hunting for a car for you. Anyway, I think I'll stop unless something new and ace comes up.

You sound much more financially responsible than me. Like I said, I made that dream happen but really shouldn't have for at least another 18 months. No regrets though, even if the family is living off 2 minute noodles...just kidding. :)

I will buy a Porsche 911 in 2013.  But not at the risk of financial stress - been there done that - I dont want to be back here advertising it for sale again because I'm in deep and can't enjoy the car.  

Next car is a keeper.

It is fun to shop online you are soooo very correct there. 

None of this is wasting time, certainly not mine  but I can't judge for the others.  People either find this entertaining or think they are wasting their time then they can avoid this thread I suppose.

Sorry, I didn't mean that we were wasting our time. Far from it. I actually really enjoy this thread and reading peoples thoughts on various cars for sale. I was just pointing out that most of the time, you're on top of what's being posted by others because you're obsessed as the rest of us. Perhaps when you eventually get a Porsche we can keep the thread going "This one looks good yeh...if you hadn't bought that Aus delivered non-black 964 backdated Targa sportomanualatic 912 impact bumper"

For discussion check this out - another classic throttle shop sale.  So this car is nearly $20,000 more than the last white manual C4 they sold. The white C4 had less k's on the clock and was in similar condition. 

So why is this blue one soooo much more expensive? Colour or is C2 more desirable?  Or doesn't CTS like white cars?

For discussion check this out - another classic throttle shop sale.  So this car is nearly $20,000 more than the last white manual C4 they sold. The white C4 had less k's on the clock and was in similar condition. 

So why is this blue one soooo much more expensive? Colour or is C2 more desirable?  Or doesn't CTS like white cars?

I have the answer....... um.... they are dreaming...!!!!

In the spirit of Simon's post above, this has come back up for sale (was on ebay a few months ago);

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1972-porsche-911T-coupe-/171007034171?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item27d0d0433b

Interested to hear members thoughts...................

Hard to tell, Hugh.

May make a nice project car for the right person.

Easy to eat up $100k restoring one of those cars.

But what a great looking car they are.  :)

my thoughts exactly

they may have nice cars but boy are they overpriced

Yeh it's incomprehensible. They were dropping the price of the white one weekly when it wasn't selling.  So by the time I'm ready, the blue car might be at its appropriate market value :)   :)   :)

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

134888297.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

Some observations from one who has been following the 964 market religiously for years -

Whilst you generally can't place too much stock in internet photos, this one looks to be in remarkable condition. Much better than the white 964 they had a few months ago. And again, only going by the internet pictures.

For example, the usual tell tale signs of even minor neglect are generally absent - 

No grime around the sunroof tracks

No swirls in the paint

No scratches or grime between the "Carrera" lettering

Leather on the driver's seat looks intact and without excessive wear

No delaminations of the glass on the gauges

No crooked front bumper smile

No cracking of the engine sound pad, and only minor sagging

Engine looks great clean without being super clean and shiny

The owner could have swapped the odo gauge out for one showing less than 80K kms, and I would have believed it - this car looks to have been loved.

I would argue that if this car was showing less than 80-100K kms, it will have sold, and probably fast, at that asking price.

So, I guess the sales experiment is - if the car presents no differently than a low mileage example, can the same asking price be had?

134888297.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

Some observations from one who has been following the 964 market religiously for years -

Whilst you generally can't place too much stock in internet photos, this one looks to be in remarkable condition. Much better than the white 964 they had a few months ago. And again, only going by the internet pictures.

For example, the usual tell tale signs of even minor neglect are generally absent - 

No grime around the sunroof tracks

No swirls in the paint

No scratches or grime between the "Carrera" lettering

Leather on the driver's seat looks intact and without excessive wear

No delaminations of the glass on the gauges

No crooked front bumper smile

No cracking of the engine sound pad, and only minor sagging

Engine looks great clean without being super clean and shiny

The owner could have swapped the odo gauge out for one showing less than 80K kms, and I would have believed it - this car looks to have been loved.

I would argue that if this car was showing less than 80-100K kms, it will have sold, and probably fast, at that asking price.

So, I guess the sales experiment is - if the car presents no differently than a low mileage example, can the same asking price be had?

Peter

I recall reading either on PP or here about you search and ultimate purchase of that wonderful Wimbledon Green baby.

I know you advocate "Buy on condition" and that is a fair call, but with nearly 200K this one has to be over the odds.

Nice paint? 200 thousand kms means at least the bumper, bonnet and front guards respray if it is looking half decent now.

There is no doubt that the car looks great for the kms, but I find it hard to justify the coin!

I like Peters observations on the car. I suppose a person with time and access to parts, could replace a few things to get it looking that good.

I wouldn't spend the coin on it. way too many km.

I would rather spend less, find an example that is mechanically sorted and has a few blemishes. Then I won't be freaking out driving it on country roads etc

Peter your car must be stunning, certainly looks it from the photos I've seen!

The car that is tormenting me the most right now is this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1991-14411213?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=20&page=2&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&items=%5bMake%3aPORSCHE%2cModel%3a911%20CARRERA%2cSeries%3a964%5d&sort=default

And yes it's the Jap import but I can make that work!

Archived