This one looks good yeh? Amanda's shopping thread

to put value into perspective, the black targa looks like a much cleaner car than the grey one with suspect rust

and for the price difference, looks better value to me because of that and that it looks like a 3.2 carrera

but you cannot go by the photographs, a ppi is a must

and no matter what you do

it is still a targa

read into that last comment whatever you prefer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can make that amount work... No more tho. It's not 993 money.

Been on the market a very long time! I spoke to him about it last year actually. And that could be for many reasons not budging on price, its a tip, the color, the fact it had a traffic bump and hasn't been available this year as it was waiting to be fixed.

Given what happened with my SLK and the amount I ended up selling it for, I'm not critical of it being on the market awhile. Mine wuold still be on carsales had I not budged on price.

Value aside it looks like a nice car........... Hopefully a clean PPI will see you behind the wheel of it

If the car is priced correctly it will sell provided the $ value is backed by the product being sold. I sold my 996 back in '06 on carsales and it took 1 person from Townsville to buy it within 7 days of being on the market.

From the listing:

"The engine is very powerful, starts ok, but gets a bit noisy under load, (probably the old fuel). Getting into first gear requires some pacience, may need a new battery and the AC is most likely out of gas."

My first law of used car sales is this : if a car just needs a new tank of fuel to fix noise under load, then it would have a new tank of fuel before being offered for sale.   If someone cannot afford a new battery for a car there is some serious deferred maintenance.

In addition to Coastr's comments, the Targa hoop on that car is painted body colour.

I may be wrong, but to me that yells out bodged paint job.  As far as I know, Targa hoops were always black or brushed stainless.

Or bad taste! :P

That 964 seems very neat Amanda, but with 200 + clicks is probably a little over.

Interesting description from the owner that it has as much power as a 930 Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell him he's dreamin'.

Awesome!

Great photos.

I see that it's a '78 car with ABS and driver's airbag.

Awesome!

Great photos.

You're dropping the ball James.

Didn't you notice that it was also supercharged!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!

Great photos.

Those photos 'do speak for themselves'  the car looks like a ghost, almost transparent!

I've just wired the funds... I got the bargain of the century...  a 940 Turbo SuperCharged dream car wooooooooooooot 

If you haven't been already , keep your eyes on the P club sites e.g. http://www.pcv.com.au/porscheclubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/488D86D4F4592802C12570E6004EDFFA

Often these are cherished cars (and may be priced accordingly) but the history will be "known".

Yeh been keeping an eye on the PC sites :)

I've also  got a lead on something else too :)  

The 1978 Turbo on Trading Post

The Story:

The 1978 turbo came up for sale by the genuine owner 2 years ago, from memory about $38000.  I spoke to him and the car, at the time, was in Sydney. Two brothers (one being the original seller in Sydney) imported this car and had it for around 2 to 3 years I think, before putting it up for sale. I believe he sold it but dont know where.

I also had a cardex check and history check done too.

Christmas eve 2012 this car shows up again on Carpoint, exact same ad as on Trading Post now.  The car was supposed to be in Gunnedah.  I assume he thought it was too remote for anyone to want to see.  I was in Quirindi, 70km away, so had nothing else to do so why not have a look, may be good for spares.

Tried the mobile number, no answer, hmmm.  So emailed and asked for details and address.  Broken english reply saying it was an excellent car, Australian delivered, low kilometers blah blah.  No address, but identified himself as Travis Koch. (This is NOT the original Sydney sellers name)

Asked again for details and I can be over about an hour to see it.  Answer came back, the car has been transported to Darwin and is locked up in a transport company's yard.  Car is excellent and can accept deposit.  Weird, alarm bells then laughed.  So I replied, thats a coincidence, I will be in Darwin tomorrow night and there is only one transport yard in Darwin, at Berrima, so will check it out.

No reply :D

I contacted Carpoint an advised them of a possible scam, they sent an email to me confirming my suspicions and to cease contact. And now it has appeared in Trading post.  I have advised them of the scam two weeks ago but it is still there.

The real car was a 1978 930 delivered to new Ireland, it was silver with black leather interior. It was later fitted with an (ugly, aquired taste as some call them) dp kit, painted white and had a red interior installed. The engine received Kremer mods, including an adjustable waste gate, the tap located between the seats.

Cheers all

it is the most photographed car on the showroom floor,

I think that says something about the fact it has a colour , not just that it's a retro cabriolet.

People are not used to colour , especially solid non metallic colour.

911s look fabulous in all shades of blue,  but especially the one listed.

If it was a coupe I'd be interested.

Thanks Simon.  The top car is a HK import.  Been for sale for a really long time.

Second car is odd... it looks like a 993 but has a 964 build and VIN. I rang up about it and even the dealer was a bit odd about his summary of this car. 

Yeh that is a lovely color JJ. I'm pretty sure someone on here looked at it and said it was rough.  Also, I went into Lorbeks for a sticky beak and was told the car was under offer and having a PPI done.  Looks like it didn't sell....

Love the story on the 1986 turbo.  Do these scammers expect that people will just send a deposit because it's such a bargain?  Did they copy the pictures from the original ad?

I suppose the rather dodgy looking ad is like the nigerian scam letters - so poorly done that only a dunce would fall for it, which effectively filters out 90% of the potential phone calls, leaving only the potential marks and the curious such as OZ930 who can see breakup value even if the car is effectively dead.

Red car a 964/993 mongrel as discussed

Blue car a HK import which has been hanging around for 6 months or more, cause unknown as seems to be creeping into bargain territory assuming it is OK.

Blue Cabriolet looks awesome I think.  A very nice looking car.

Archived