This one looks good yeh? Amanda's shopping thread

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the story on the 1986 turbo.  Do these scammers expect that people will just send a deposit because it's such a bargain?  Did they copy the pictures from the original ad?

Blue car a HK import which has been hanging around for 6 months or more, cause unknown as seems to be creeping into bargain territory assuming it is OK.

The photos were from the original ad, but they left some interior and engine photos out.  The quality has deteriorated even from the CarSales ad.

I was warned off HK cars, underground carparks, below sea level and flooding = rust.

Looked at a Red 930 that was UK delivered, then went to NZ, to India, to HK, to Australia. Good engine but the body.....

The photos were from the original ad, but they left some interior and engine photos out.  The quality has deteriorated even from the CarSales ad.

I was warned off HK cars, underground carparks, below sea level and flooding = rust.

Looked at a Red 930 that was UK delivered, then went to NZ, to India, to HK, to Australia. Good engine but the body.....

Did the car rack up some frequent flyer points?   :)  that is nuts!

Yeh that is a lovely color JJ. I'm pretty sure someone on here looked at it and said it was rough

.  "beautifully presented with original panina & in immaculate pristine condition"

One man's rough is another man's pristine  . lol Arfur Daley...

Panina? Isn't that a kind of bread? Now patina , that is a euphemism for rust in some circles.

Someone go and have a look and get the dirt on this.

I love the look of the blue cab. The colour just suits it so well. There's no way I'd be interested in it though if I was in the market for a cab. It's that resale thing I mentioned the other day. There's plenty of genuine wide body unmolested cabs on the market that I'd have before it.

Patina has become a buzzword!  Its used in so many different collector worlds now!  Pffft..  

Panini is bread?  Panina is bad spelling tee heee   :P

"Patina" is the biggest load of crock I have ever heard.

The word is used in lieu of "It's old and worn". 

I know that I would prefer "newly restored to factory specs" than "pay extra because it has this worn crappy interior that is falling apart but is still original".

I know that I would prefer "newly restored to factory specs" than "pay extra because it has this worn crappy interior that is falling apart but is still original".

I am with you T.

C

Might have to change my name to patina!

I agree that Patina may be over used

but it has a place

there's a certain charm to something that fits like a well worn glove

or your fave pair of really comfortable shoes

try to have a bit more romance in your soul

I'm not talking of something prosaic, like a beat up Toyota Carolla

little patina there

but an early, very original 911?  Surely it can have charm?  Wear its years and battle scars with pride?

It is only original once

Some very valid points Sydr and I'm not in total disagreement.

I had a pair of old and very worn, ripped, torn, stained etc.....jeans that were the most comfortable pair I'd ever worn.

They eventually looked so bad that they had to go.

Patina in the right context, no problem. 

Some very valid points Sydr and I'm not in total disagreement.

I had a pair of old and very worn, ripped, torn, stained etc.....jeans that were the most comfortable pair I'd ever worn.

They eventually looked so bad that they had to go.

Patina in the right context, no problem. 

Its using the word in the right context.  As I said, it's become a buzzword and is being used too liberally!

Definition of PATINA
a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color

b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use
: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character
: a superficial covering or exterior

Hmmm,  interesting colour combo.  Brown over tan in a blue body.  What, couldn't decide?

I like to see the photos of the original books like in the blue car (the color combo I quite like, btw)

What are peoples thoughts on the desirability of original delivery records, old service records, manuals etc.  Is it a case of 'good to have them but no big deal if they're not there' or a case of 'no records, no buy'.

A PPI should turn up anything currently major but having records always makes me think the car has had dilligent careful owners, has a traceable history (w/regards to the odometer) and tells a nice story about the life of the car.

What say others?  

Personally I think all the history of the car is essential.

But in reality there is a chance the

seller may not like to show some of the records, in case it actually puts off the potential buyer with the amount of work that has been carried out, especially if there has been an ongoing problem.

Obviously a PPI is going to give you the latest info you need to know, but it would be nice to be able to go over any problem areas from previous receipts etc from the workshops and even make the PPI workshop aware of the history.

I would and have in the past supplied every receipt and invoice for any car that I have sold.

Honesty is the best policy ........hopefully. But where reasonable money is concerned........

I think it's good to have the original wallet with manual and service book in it but it doesn't give any real indication of the history of the car other than when it was serviced. I suppose copies of invoices are a bonus to give a better history but in the end, what's going to be in there that would stop you buying a car. Anything catastrophic is going to be "missing" anyway. When I sold my old moss green 86 Carerra I provided all of my invoices and the previous owners invoices. Since then there have been two owners and the current owner has it on the market at the moment. I asked him about receipts and he only has 1 of mine from 10 years ago which shows a clutch replacement. It seems the dealer I sold it to chose which invoices to keep and which ones to misplace, not that there was anything sinister.

I think it's good to have the original wallet with manual and service book in it but it doesn't give any real indication of the history of the car other than when it was serviced. I suppose copies of invoices are a bonus to give a better history but in the end, what's going to be in there that would stop you buying a car. Anything catastrophic is going to be "missing" anyway. When I sold my old moss green 86 Carerra I provided all of my invoices and the previous owners invoices. Since then there have been two owners and the current owner has it on the market at the moment. I asked him about receipts and he only has 1 of mine from 10 years ago which shows a clutch replacement. It seems the dealer I sold it to chose which invoices to keep and which ones to misplace, not that there was anything sinister.

You see right there, that annoys me.  Dealers throw in the junk a pile of really useful data because they think it's unnecessary or it might hurt their sale if someone knows how many clutches the car has been through.  I really find it difficult to get on with dealers at any time.  I realise flogging cars is not an easy job but buying privately appeals to me for many ways, including the chance to talk with the previous owner and gauge their interest in the car and mechanical sympathy in general.   If I saw your old car on the lot with the invoices all 'disappeared' I would wonder where it all went.  I guess Joe uninformed sees 1 invoice for a new clutch and says 'wow, what a reliable car, only $x spent in the last x years'.

It does concern me having supporting documentation though, particularly in lower mileage cars.  I once looked at two cars, one was showing 38k and the other was showing 840k.  Neither had any books and both were about 10 years old.  I ended up buying the one with 840k on it because it still had (mostly) original paint, and I figured both their odos were tampered.

Archived