Dilemma re: selling my '76 911

f3nr15

Hi Amanda;

Still can't commit to a decision :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm not actively selling the car, but if there's interest from an enthusiast such as yourself, I'm happy to have the conversation - like I've said, I really only want the car to go to a good home, and would want the prospective buyer to know exactly what the car is and isn't before buying.

I am working on getting the receipts for you to look at - they're at a mate's house. He desperately wanted to buy the car from me last year (and took all the paperwork home to peruse through), but his wife had other ideas :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amanda;

Still can't commit to a decision :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm not actively selling the car, but if there's interest from an enthusiast such as yourself, I'm happy to have the conversation - like I've said, I really only want the car to go to a good home, and would want the prospective buyer to know exactly what the car is and isn't before buying.

I am working on getting the receipts for you to look at - they're at a mate's house. He desperately wanted to buy the car from me last year (and took all the paperwork home to peruse through), but his wife had other ideas :)

That poor poor fella - I feel his pain :)

No worries at all.  There's no rush from my end... I've got a guy very interested in my SLK (I think - until you get a deposit down, you never do know) so until that goes I'm stuck anyways. Once it does go.  Then I'll actively start looking. And even then, I really do want to look at as many as I can before making a decision.  My first point of call will be to find some of these '74 - '76 year cars locally first, get my brother in front of a few, drive them and see if it's for me. But I'm also going to look at SCs and up to the 964, however the later cars may not be in my budget.

Erm, thats my long winded way of saying 'no rush Peter, all good'  there's much homework I feel I need to do before knowing which is the right car for me.   And talking to all these Porsche heads I now know, keeping an open mind on which 911 to buy, is the key to getting a good one.

Peter my 2 cents...sell the 964...in all three pages of the thread the only thing said about it was ...it does not garner the same attention as the old gal....dont get me wrong im all for hoarding, but if you feel you must be selling one, sell the one that you have a lesser engagement with...money realised can then be spent on paint interior and a bathroom reno...dont ask how i know.

Haha, don't get me started on the 964 - sufficed to say, at this point I'd like to be buried in it  :)

Here's something I wrote on Rennlist the other day about it - 

"I paid top dollar... the market here in Australia is much smaller, however, and many cars are neglected. I could have bought an average 993, or an early Cayman instead, and I looked at both of those as alternatives. 

Mine's not perfect, but it's very good. It took me close to 3 years to find one in this good condition, and the PPI was reassuring. It was exactly what I was hoping for, and I'm very happy. No regrets.

On a sunny day, I'll open up the sunroof, turn the cassette deck on loud enough to just hear a tune over the angry flat-6, and take it for a blast over the long and steep 'dinosaur' bridge here just outside of town. It's a mechanical/analogue beastie in a digital world, but so perfectly comfortable that you could use it everyday. I couldn't say that about my '76 911, as fond as I am of it. The visual/auditory/tactile/olefactory experience as a balance of old world charm/rawness and modern comfort is unmatched.

I wouldn't swap it for a 993 or any later car, and can't think of a reasonable price point that would make me want to sell it."

964s have always been the iconic 911 for me - I was 14 years old when they were released, and remember reading a journo piece about the "All New 911" at the time.

When I purchased my '76 911 six years ago, I'd been lusting after 964s but couldn't justify the expense at the time. Of course, first european car, first Porsche, first 911, no PPI - it ended up costing me more than buying a 964 would have.

Owning both cars gives me a greater appreciation for the finer points of each - its funny how these cars get under your skin.

Or maybe that's just me  :blink:

On a sunny day, I'll open up the sunroof, turn the cassette deck on loud enough to just hear a tune over the angry flat-6, and take it for a blast over the long and steep 'dinosaur' bridge here just outside of town. It's a mechanical/analogue beastie in a digital world, but so perfectly comfortable that you could use it everyday. I couldn't say that about my '76 911, as fond as I am of it. The visual/auditory/tactile/olefactory experience as a balance of old world charm/rawness and modern comfort is unmatched.

I wouldn't swap it for a 993 or any later car, and can't think of a reasonable price point that would make me want to sell it."

That is one great paragraph.....

desismileys_1017.gif

"It's a mechanical/analogue beastie in a digital world, but so perfectly comfortable that you could use it everyday"

That is a fine sentence and analogy for the 964.  I've driven 2 now and well......  Damn, now I have read that I really do what a 964!!!  Ha I'm soo easily influenced :)

I think you just made your decision, now its price, timing and keep the emotion out. Easy to say I know.

You know Brian, it might seem strange but the progress in this thread has made me realise that I'm not quite ready to decide yet. Actually, I just want to drive it a bit more now, and then re-evaluate. Perhaps I'll just do what was originally wisely suggested, which is put it on carsales for some ridiculous amount, and then leave it at that. There will always be next month or next year if I decide to part with it, but once its gone, its gone.

"It's a mechanical/analogue beastie in a digital world, but so perfectly comfortable that you could use it everyday"

That is a fine sentence and analogy for the 964.  I've driven 2 now and well......  Damn, now I have read that I really do what a 964!!!  Ha I'm soo easily influenced :)

Some people buy cheap sneakers, because they're there to serve a purpose - nothing more.

Some buy new shiny Nikes as a means of performance enhancement, but others buy the same shoes simply to be seen in them.

Some people continue to wear their ten year old runners, and will wear out the soles, and laces, and inserts, but always repair them. Folks around them can't understand why, but these people know that their old shoes are the most comfortable pair they will ever own, like old friends. 

I'm a strange fellow who deliberately bought two transitionary 911s - where the wide-held perception of each of these cars is that what came before and after was generally better. Of course, to me they are my old shoes  :P

You've got to decide what type of shoe buyer you are, and then try on as many as you can before you settle!

Although I have to admit I never thought I'd own turquoise shoes  :blink:  -

IMG_3767.jpg

Gorgeous car Peter.  And I think your approach is a sound one with the '76.  I wish you all the best with it and hope you get the desired outcome.

A little off topic, but I need to vent.

I feel like I'm getting kicked around a bit selling this SLK...the latest one has said no cos he doesn't like the color. This is after he drove it for an hour!  I mean seriously,  it was the same color before he drove it!!!  I've never had such issues selling a car.  I'm feeling very disheartened about the entire thing.....

Sigh

Gorgeous car Peter.  And I think your approach is a sound one with the '76.  I wish you all the best with it and hope you get the desired outcome.

A little off topic, but I need to vent.

I feel like I'm getting kicked around a bit selling this SLK...the latest one has said no cos he doesn't like the color. This is after he drove it for an hour!  I mean seriously,  it was the same color before he drove it!!!  I've never had such issues selling a car.  I'm feeling very disheartened about the entire thing.....

Sigh

i'd ask prospective buyers to hand over a decent cash deposit prior to driving the car. may help vent the tyre kickers.

Sigh

Ask them; if it drives as good as it looks, will you buy the car?

The correct answer should always be yes, otherwise, no test drive ;)

good prose.....

perhaps an  issue arising from putting a car out on the market at a crazy price is it can marginalise the car in the market place...sitting on car sales a long time tends to detract (this is only an opinion formed by listening to would be buyers on various forums), though this may be more the enthusiast voyeur, rather than the buyer who decides to on a whim treat themselves...

either way it is a tough sellers market and their are plenty of good cars languishing...on the issue of wrong colour I had a buyer back away from a purchase with the comment..the door caps are ok ( original german vinyl), but not great, but not that bad they need to be done again??? go figure.

but till you decide to sell or keep ...drive it as god well intended..

is there any point selling this car?

you really like it, and it's unlikely the market will, being sporto and 2.7L - i say keep it and reap the rewards of all the work and money you've put in it! forget the paint for now.. drive it and enjoy it, and when the everyday dings and chips build up in a few years paint it.

unless you really need some cash now - it seems like you'd lose a bunch overall :(

That is a good point.. I will do that in future.  Thanks guys.

Amanda,

Before you go for the test drive ask them this " are you in a position to make a decision & put a deposit down today? " if they say no or not really then maybe ask them to come back when they are ready to make a decision. I know it's tough but you're there to sell your car not amuse tyre kickers. Good luck.

Amanda,

Before you go for the test drive ask them this " are you in a position to make a decision & put a deposit down today? " if they say no or not really then maybe ask them to come back when they are ready to make a decision. I know it's tough but you're there to sell your car not amuse tyre kickers. Good luck.

Thanks that's a sensible approach. In addition to that I will make sure they have checked everything over like service books. This last bloke looked at them after the drive. This way I can ask - do you like the color, happy with with cars history etc and the hit them with your idea.

you really need to screen buyers when you're selling anything, I'm normally pretty prompt when responding to requests etc, but if someone comes for a test drive and asks questions that i've already covered in the ad etc i can usually sus out they're a test pilot. the old "when are you looking to buy" questions normally sorts them out though lol.

Archived