Dilemma re: selling my '76 911

f3nr15

Hi all,

Due to the development of an unexpected personal situation, I'm needing to free up some capital so I am going to offer the car up for sale. As per the detail in this thread, I haven't really been interested in selling her, and if the situation improves without a sale, I'll retract this post.

Just to recap -

1976 911 Sportomatic - Aust delivery

* Complete engine and trans rebuild < 6K kms ago

* New SSIs and Dansk exhaust

* Front wheel bearings, brakes, rear suspension bushings done

* All electrics working

* Porsche leather sports seats and steering, original tartan seats available

* New Michelin tyres x 4 < 200kms

* NSW rego till ?Jan

* >$45K in receipts since 2006

Negatives - poor paint esp driver's side, poor interior headliner, no stereo head unit.

Asking: $20K

Happy for you to talk to Simon at Autowerks about the car, he's been looking after it over the last few years and thinks it's great.

PM for my phone number or email.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Russ -

I'm driving back from Melbourne on Saturday, so could show it to you on Sunday morning. It's been in the storage shed since Feb, and I probably won't have time to charge the battery, change the fuel and dust her off, but you can certainly have an initial look!

I dont see the problem.......... :D

I love my Boxster...  and I'm sticking with it, but in saying that... if the timing was different I'd have been all over this car, would be nice if it could stay in the PFA family given the energy that has gone into it mechanically.

Good luck with the sale Peter, I hope you find a great buyer for it that will continue to treat the car as you have done :)

You didn't say if you are going to replace it with an everyday car?

If you do, in all likelihood the replacement will devalue more than the 911 would cost to repaint.

If you can afford to keep it and just loaf along until you win lotto etc that might work?

Life has a habit of changing the best laid plans

All the best. Lots of us have been in your shoes. There's never a right or wrong, unless you disagree with SWMBO.

Hi Simon, no plans to replace the car with another at all, the P-cars have only ever been my weekend toys to potter around in and fuss over.

Hoping the situation will sort itself out over the next few weeks anyway, fingers crossed!

• 6 months later...

Dear PFA'ers,

I've provisionally accepted a job in Auckland commencing mid-Feb, and really do have to move the car.

It's been in storage since August, and the rego has expired in December, but will be renewed in the coming days.

Since I last considered selling, the sports seats are gone and the original tartan seats are back in. The sun visor clips have fallen off so I'll have to order a couple of new ones.

I've got an offer of $15K from a friend that I had accepted, but he's struggling to pull the cash together.

So again, briefly -

Aust delivered 1976 911 Sportomatic

$40-50K in receipts in the last 6-7 years incl gearbox and transmission rebuilds <6K kms

All electrics work

New tyres in 2013 <500kms

Cosmetically average-to-poor, needs a respray and a new headliner

I'm terribly time poor and really need someone who's ready to move at this reasonably low price point, rather than folks who want to have a look and a bit-of-a-think. For that reason I'm also really reluctant to go the carsales.com.au route.

Spread the word - she's a mechanically excellent car for not much coin, and really just needs a loving home and an eventual cosmetic resto.

Dear PFA'ers,

I've provisionally accepted a job in Auckland commencing mid-Feb, and really do have to move the car.

It's been in storage since August, and the rego has expired in December, but will be renewed in the coming days.

Since I last considered selling, the sports seats are gone and the original tartan seats are back in. The sun visor clips have fallen off so I'll have to order a couple of new ones.

I've got an offer of $15K from a friend that I had accepted, but he's struggling to pull the cash together.

So again, briefly -

$40-50K in receipts in the last 6-7 years incl gearbox and transmission rebuilds <6K kms

All electrics work

I'm terribly time poor and really need someone who's ready to move at this reasonably low price point, rather than folks who want to have a look and a bit-of-a-think. For that reason I'm also really reluctant to go the carsales.com.au route.

Spread the word - she's a mechanically excellent car for not much coin, and really just needs a loving home and an eventual cosmetic resto.

Dear PFA'ers,

So again, briefly -

All electrics work

where is russ? i'd have thought he'd be all over this!

• 4 weeks later...

To all those who responded about the sale, thanks for your interest and patience, and apologies for the delayed reply.

The old gal is sold now for all intents and purposes, just pending the formalities.

I'm really happy that she's going to a good home with a PFAer who will firstly look after her and secondly DRIVE HER!

I'm off to Auckland tomorrow for my first week in the new role - haven't been able to bring myself to put the 964 up for sale so I'll keep her locally stored for now. I'm planning on being back fairly regularly so hopefully I'll still have occasions to get her out.

I've been eyeing a 928 in Auckland as a daily driver. The cars there are significantly cheaper compared to here, so it's a good opportunity to tick the 928 off the bucket list. I'll keep you posted!

Archived