996 Indicator Switch Problem

Sherpa

My indicator stalk broke last week, in classic 996 fashion. I bought the replacement part from Porsche and installed it yesterday. For ref, it's the four stalk unit with cruise and computer controls, and the car is a 6.2

So got it buttoned back up, and everything was working. However, I've noticed in the 24hrs since, I am losing all indicator function intermittently. So regardless of stalk position, no light on the dash or outside the car. It doesn't seem to be caused by bumps or steering position. Relay is seated properly, but hazard lights don't work either when the indicators are failing.

The plug on the indicator side of the unit seems pretty hard to f-up when installing. So I'm assuming it's not that. But before I pull it all apart and re-seat it, can anyone suggest some other paths to test or check first? Looking for a Christmas miracle...

i removed mine a number of times attempting the MFX clockspring fix but just couldn't get it right so bought a new one.  I didn't have this issue but did find that some of the older fittings were a little loose when putting them back so really needed to check all 3 plugs in my case sat properly. It sounds very much like an earthing issue.  If fuses are all good, I am thinking if it was me I would be going back in and confirming all plugs have stayed connected.  its only 30 min to do it.

37 minutes ago, Tips said:

It sounds very much like an earthing issue.  If fuses are all good, I am thinking if it was me I would be going back in and confirming all plugs have stayed connected.  its only 30 min to do it.

But… what a brutal 30mins 😅

It felt like an earthing issue to me to tho.

Having said that…

25 minutes ago, Boosted said:

The relay will need replacing............. don't ask me how I know😂

I decided to take this path first, and it seems like it’s working with a replacement relay. I’ll give it a good test this arvo. But I hope that’s all it is🤞🏼

Thanks for the advice guys 🙏🏼

16 hours ago, MFX said:

The glue on my first go of the fix failed last week. Pulled it out and fixed it again and it is all working perfectly. Cost me around 20c worth of Araldite and another 20c in rivets ;)

I watched your video when it broke, but it was right before I had to drive up the east coast. So I needed a quick(er) fix 😅 But I’m going to have a crack at the old one as a back up when I get home.

2 hours ago, Steve996 said:

I can't believe they haven't manufactured a replacement part that isn't prone to failure!

100%

3 hours ago, Sherpa said:

I watched your video when it broke, but it was right before I had to drive up the east coast. So I needed a quick(er) fix 😅 But I’m going to have a crack at the old one as a back up when I get home.

100%

The longest part is pulling it out. The fix part is pretty quick and simple.

4 hours ago, Steve996 said:

I can't believe they haven't manufactured a replacement part that isn't prone to failure!

I don't understand the design in the first place. The tabs that break off look like they were designed to flex (or break) but they just need to be solid. It is not a well engineered thing in general.

On 21/12/2021 at 13:39, MFX said:

I don't understand the design in the first place. The tabs that break off look like they were designed to flex (or break) but they just need to be solid. It is not a well engineered thing in general.

The engineer involved was recognised for his obvious talent and promoted to the engine department, intermediate shaft division...

18 hours ago, Coastr said:

The toyota influence seems to have been about how to build the cars faster and cheaper with fewer people, not on making it last longer.  I guess that is phase 2 of the toyota way?

Where Toyota continues to win big points is in build quality and reliability and also their service costs, relative to, say, VW (let alone Audi, Porsche, etc).  7 years warranty with a fixed price for all services (including fluids) of around $200.  Hard to beat.