Isle of Man TT claims 1 more

tomo

Sadly a father and son side-car team lost their lives overnight. RIP

I love the TT, and having a mate, Davo Johnson, being one of the top 5 outright riders in the past few years, I have a vested interest in it, yet it's one of those events where you want to watch, but are scared shitless for those competing. 

Davo landed a pukka ride with Rich Energy racing team, but isn't riding this year due to breaking a pelvis at a recent race meeting. Sensibly, the team pulled him from entering the TT due to the physicality the IOM has on the body, and you have to be 101% fit to ride there which is pretty obvious. Having spoken at length to Davo about that place, the recent calls for the event to be banned are just knee jerk reactions from those who know nothing about those who compete there and why they do it, and just want people to stop doing what they love to protect themselves from serious injury or worse.

As absolutely tragic as it is when competitors die in all forms of motorsport, it's ultimately their choice and they accept the risks associated with it.

RIP to all of those who have passed away this year at the IOM, and every year prior

Those guys are modern day gladiators in my view…… they are incredibly brave and incredibly skilled.

They don’t get anywhere near enough credit….. but they wouldn’t seek it anyway. They are simply doing what they love.

there is a very good podcast on Rusty’s garage with Cam Donald, a recently retired Australian outright / senior TT rider well worth a listen.

Justin

Losing your partner and child must be devastating RIP.  I just don't know how I feel about IoM TT these days.  It remains a truly stunning race that truly meets the actual definition of "awesome". 

It was once a bucket list for me, but now the almost certainty of a fatality puts me right off - as an ex first responder I do carry some scars and maybe I'm a bit more sensitive than some (I also lost my dad in road accident when I was 13).  The sheer sense of dread these guys must put their immediate family through, for me at least is too much - and very unfair, and I wonder if its not really just plain selfish to indulge your own needs at the expense of your kids (as it seems to be really common with riders being young dads). 

But I'm a 'pro choice' person, and hate government nannying so I'd hate to see it ruined for those that have made their choices.  We know Australia would never allow it - Targa is on it's way out, and it's been 20 years since bikes raced at Bathurst.

On 11/06/2022 at 14:09, Carrera28 said:

The comments section at the end, puts this story into perspective by keeping the racing going.

i'm not committed either way but the passionate people who want this event to keep going is obvious.

I used to rock climb professionally in a past life and would often solo (climb by myself without the rope). I knew the risks where one slip is fatal, did everything in my ability to reduce the chances of falling (keeping 3 points of contact as much as possible, climbing routes graded under my maximum, selecting climbs which had many ascents at cliffs with less friable rock so less chance of holds breaking) and enjoyed the focus and being in the moment that climbing in that style elicits. If I would have died from soloing, no way would I want restrictions or banning of soloing.

I knew the risks and chose to embrace them. We would be poorer if we were wrapped in cotton wool and not able to experience challenges in life if that is what we want to do... Regardless the risks.

@Dalai

After watching this brief video 20 minutes ago, he's off his head mate! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeqmkhpJqB7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I get the attraction of rock climbing, and I tried to get into it after doing a little indoor climbing, but I just didn't have the balls. I personally think blokes like the above are very confident in their abilities, or they have a death wish! I don't think this one is very smart at all, but if that's how he gets his kicks, then good luck to him. The exception, is that free climber, Alex Honnold. That bloke is completely off his rocker! 

I've raced 1000cc bikes and loads of Motocross/Supercross back in the 80's and 90's, so those of us who need the adrenaline fix eventually find something that excites us. 

The IOM is not for the faint hearted, and from what I've read this past week by 'motoring journalists' who have absolutely NO experience on bikes or even racing cars at silly speeds, their opinion means absolutely jack shit to me. They're nobodies, who just think they're important in their field, and haven't a clue what goes on in the head of those who choose to ride the IOM. 

It's the same here with Targa Tasmania etc. Look at these journalists and other numpties yapping on "Should Targa be banned?" Well no, no it shouldn't...at all, but here we are with it all in limbo. The competitors are under no illusion that if they f..k up, not only are their own lives at risk, but the navigators life is too, but that's the risk they take.

I just wish people would allow others to do whatever the hell they like with their own lives, and they can sit around their laptops, and they sip their camomile tea whilst living their boring lives. 

8 hours ago, sjm said:

The comments section at the end, puts this story into perspective by keeping the racing going.

I hadn't seen those comments. 😅 They put her in her place! 

I googled the writer, and one look at her Instagram page, you can tell she has no fkn idea about much at all regarding motorsport