My latest engine "project" ***update - sold***

Mike D'Silva

From this

nC5VtqE.jpg

To this

IvgJYbh.jpg

3.5 litre capacity

stock 3.2 motronic ecu and harness

will update this post soon with details.

I want to experiment with turboing my 3.0SC motor now, so this 3.5efi motor is available. 

I should add, if you are contemplating an engine rebuild and your car is not matching numbers, I might be open to taking in your current engine as a donor for "trade in".

Cheers

Mike

So the idea was to make an engine that was a little more interesting than a typical stock rebuild.. without going to the expense of the other 3.5 engine I built for a client last year (bigger crank, bigger pistons/cylinders, itbs, motec, fancy wiring, custom cams, very custom length rods and special pistons to suit etc) with exhaust fab and dyno tuning this was not a quick job. The performance was, frankly, amazing. BUT, not everyone wants or can afford to go that far. And we didn't go as far as some others go either. 

So I wanted to build something in between.. there are a few 3.2-3.4 engines going around. I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to stroke as well as bore. 

This is what gets to 3.5 litres. But I wanted to keep costs relatively in check.. so that meant no finnicky itbs, no afermarket ecu, no fancy wiring. By utilising the stanard 3.2 intake, which flows very well already, I was able to send the throttle body to Steve Wong to be bored and to have him burn me a chip to cover the capacity, the fuel, the cams and the exhaust. He has worked with so many of these 3.5 litres now, I shouldn't be surprised at how accurate his chip is. Yes, the stock injectors are being used. They have been cleaned and flow tested and confirmed up to the task.  Staying wtih a single throttle body means we are limited in cam choice and I kept it single plug too, which limits compression.

For those that don't know, the "euro 3.2" had a claimed 231hp and 10.2:1 compression ratio. I and others, have cc'd these pistons to establish that the claimed 10.2 actually equates to approx 9.7. It seems that the Porsche compression ratio claims are based on a zero mm deck height, which simply doesn't happen; we aim for 1mm in reality. So I had some pistons custom made to 9.8:1. Plenty safe for our fuel, and just in case you get a bad fuel batch too. The pistons are from CP and took approx 5 months to land! Yes they have a big backlog.. and somehow Covid is to blame.

Cams are 993SS from John Dougherty. 

Cylinders were bored to 98mm and replated by NZ cylinders.

Bearings are Porsche GT3. Cases were checked and resized. Crank polished. Rods resized. ARP rod bolts used. Entire rotating assembly balanced. 

964 oil pump

Heads rebuilt.

Everything (except case) vapour blasted and cerakoted. All tins powder coated. New head studs, chains, ramps, etc etc etc

The exhaust headers are ceramic coated 1.75 inch George's European Headers. Muffler is a stainless system built here in Brisbane. It is quiet enough at idle and cruising speeds, but opens up nicely above 4000. You could fit a more generic Monty or a Dansk but not sure they would restrict flow a little. 

It's beautiful. I've clocked up maybe 500kms and it's still totally dry underneath and just like new. 

The best thing about this engine, is it starts just like any normal 3.2. Turn the key, it starts, idles, and runs. No crazy rituals, nothing to go out of balance. It just works. I've been running an AFR gauge since day one to keep an eye on things and the numbers are well safe at all operating conditions.  If you've ever had an aftermarket system that needs constant fiddling, or retuning, or balancing (did someone mention carbs?????)  etc... this makes for a breathe of fresh air. 

So, this has been a project I've been planning for a while and now I've done it, it's time for something else. I'm still building engines for people and happy to do stock engine rebuilds no problem. But I want to try my hand at a turbo conversion... and the original engine to my car is just crying out for it.. So until I find a home for this 3.5, I won't start on the next personal project. 

To help out, I'd be interesting in taking in your broken/unloved/leaking/snapped head stud 3.0 or 3.2 ;) as a part payment. Having spoken to a few people to get a gauge on pricing, it seems that 55k for a complete engine with ecu/exh/harness etc is a fair price for all parties. And there is no time wait either. Obv, if your engine is a matching numbers proposition, then it won't suit you. But if you are looking for a powerplant for your hotrod, then this might just be your thing. Someone is bound to know where there is a roller that needs a good motor.

The gearbox attached to this engine is also for sale. It is a 915 alloy case with factory LSD. It's had the pinion bore machined and a 930 bearing installed. New dog teeth and syncro band on all gears. It shifts really nicely. Very slick. If you drove this as your first 915 experience, you'd wonder what everyone is complaining about. I'm not totally sure what it's worth. With a rebuild costing between 5-8k I'd be thinking around the 10 mark? I dunno.. the internet will advise soon enough. I don't like advertising things like this much, since someone will sooner ,rather than later, tell me I'm dreaming and the tongues will start wagging!

Anyhow,  that's my promise to update the post. If you're genuinely interested in purchasing or discussing, I'd prefer a PM or a phone call rather than a public discussion. 

Thanks for reading , Michael

here are some more pics.. 

h4l39AX.jpg

PV3Bhdx.jpg

Pnvmmg7.jpg

YooQKzy.jpg

QuTrG0v.jpg

eZ95DxI.jpg

i6OSPq5.jpg

gUTsEv3.jpg

VlLCen9.jpg

BGCiJRi.jpg

euhGLJR.jpg

1ljeFOE.jpg

FcJ06yG.jpg

acxQV77.jpg

x3veLKR.jpg

On 18/06/2022 at 11:32, Stockydude said:

Engine looks great and no doubt is great.

I bought my car from Mike with and engine he'd built - so strong, so well done and quite simply a joy to drive - he simply does great work!

Thanks Tony. Nice to see "my car" in such good hands!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...