Special licenses for HP vehicles in SA?

Yeah I'm 50/50 on this. I agree that letting a 22 year old have access to a 600 horsepower car is stupid but then again there are plenty of 62 year olds who would do just as many stupid things with 600 horses as well ( myself included :) ) but I think the big difference between the two scenarios is the older person would pick the correct time and place to do stupid things mainly because they would know of the consequences and I think that is the key word, consequences because most 22 years would not have experienced the consequences of what mishandling a high powered car can be.

I don't know what the answer is but I certainly think a motorcycle style of licencing where you build up to more powerful bikes is a step in the right direction. and certainly compulsory driver training. 

I certainly remember the days where over 300 road deaths a year was common in SA which was the time when i got my licence and a lot of those deaths were due to young drivers with high powered cars and bikes ( unfortunately went to too many funerals in those days ).

I was no angel in those days and was very lucky to survive.

The benefit of hindsight.

Yet another knee-jerk reaction from a bunch of f##kwits called politicians. 

If they were serious, they would force the DPP to retract the ridiculous sentence the Lambo driver got for driving like a dick and killing a 15 year old girl! (And I have it on very good authority that he WAS driving like a dick)

Yes it's absolutely tragic with what happened to that poor girl and her friend, not to mention the grief the family has, and will go through for the rest of their lives, yet the horse has already bolted.

What's the f$%king point of forcing owners of HP cars to do an advanced driving course, when there's that many dickheads on the road in Camrys, Commodores and f..k knows what else, that can kill someone just as quick as a Lamborghini can. It's not like he was doing 250kph, so even at 80kph, hitting a pedestrian is probably going to have dire consequences, and the last time I heard, a Camry can do 80, 100, 150kph.

Let's not even start on some young twat in a 300hp WRX wrapping himself around a pole at 200kph whilst drag racing some other young twat in a Turbo Honda, and killing his girlfriend whilst tearing his own legs off in the process, but what new laws were brought in then? NONE, so it just depends on the driver whether they're going to drive like a dick and not be able to handle it when they get into trouble. 

F#$King tired of these dickhead politicians doing this sorta shit, when it's ONE knob who owns a Supercar crashes, and everyone else has to pay for his stupidity. 

I am pretty sure most of us on this site have done some stupid and crazy things with cars , back in the day , I now I have ,and you could get away with shit like that back then , these days everyone has a camera in their pocket , the police are a lot more sophisticated and the laws have become a lot tougher on silly and reckless behaviour .

I suppose that is a sign of the times we live in these days , things are a lot more safety conscious generally for the better , but all it takes is one person to screw up and they want to change the rules for everyone or stereotype those who drive a certain type of car and label you or make you pay more to have one..?

On saying that I did have two mate.s who died in there early 20,s due to dangerous and reckless driving . 

So this must be new to you guys in SA?  There has been power restrictions new drivers in the eastern states for 20 years.  My argument is that it doesn't really work because there is a lot you can do to an engine/power train and hide it.  A mate here drives around in a visibly stock MX5 with 450hp...

What would work though is to have nationally recognised license classes that you have to 'earn' through a good record and specific driver training.  The reward is access to higher powered vehicles and government mandated reduced insurance premiums.  F$#@ up and you lose the cheaper insurance, and keep it up and you lose the ability to drive your GT3 and are relegated back to the Corolla.

To clear though, the stupidest shit I've seen on the road has usually been executed by a <25 year old.

There are power restrictions here for new drivers, yet this 'special license' is for Supercars and the like.

This new proposal is a bloody stupid idea, that is just a reaction by the government due to the public outcry after the ridiculous sentence the driver received to one devastating accident that could have been avoided if he wasn't being a dick, as you don't just swerve off a road at '60kph' and slam into a building killing a teenager.

Let's face it, an expensive defense lawyer got him off with a plea bargain to a lesser charge to minimise a custodial sentence, yet it is the way the law works sometimes I s'pose when the accused can afford a high profile lawyer. Some just have no morals whatsoever

19 hours ago, Fishcop said:

What would work though is to have nationally recognised license classes that you have to 'earn' through a good record and specific driver training.  The reward is access to higher powered vehicles and government mandated reduced insurance premiums. 

And if you do get into trouble you pull into a paint-shop to get rid of the 5 stars and the helicopters chasing you? 😛