Which 986?

The bride is after a Boxster, a manual. There’s a handful for sale atm.

But which one? What’s to may Ks? What’s to much coin?

The original 2.5, perhaps the 2.7 or the S 3.2?

Im aware of service history and presentation but but else?

I’m leaning towards the S cos it’s got  some more ponies and better bits,brakes and a 6 speed. But of course I’ll value your opinions😊

Pros and cons invited.

11 hours ago, Joz said:

I’m leaning towards the S cos it’s got  some more ponies and better bits,brakes and a 6 speed. But of course I’ll value your opinions😊

Pros and cons invited.

There seems to be some additional ones on the FB porsche pages, and it looks as though some realism is back in the pricing.  As a former 987 S manual owner I can say the 6 sp box is very sweet, which means you're looking at an S.  The extra hp is nice too, but @edgy did love his 2.5 Tip.  @TrevMcRev's 5sp 2.5 Boxrod was a ripper though, and he drove the ring out of it.  Now owned by friends of ours, haven't had the chance to get a ride in it yet.

12 hours ago, Joz said:

Pros and cons invited.

Like Joz I’m bias to a base model but in my case 2.7, 5 speed. Feels fast even when it’s not and in 2 nd gear you can go from 40 to over 110 (close to the red line) and drive it on the throttle. It’s magic once over 3000 rpm.

Thanks for the input so far guys.👍

Anyhow just went for a look at a cheapy 2.5manual.

Black on tan, but obviously a bit rough.

Pommy car with roof needing some love and interior that looked like it was 168k old rather than the advertised 68k. A few minor dents that didn’t look  to bad but definitely  in need of paint correction.

Missing most of its history and owner wasn’t familiar with what IMS was.

I didn’t drive it as I knew I wasn’t after a project as expensive as this ontop of the purchase price. 

The search continues.

23 hours ago, Joz said:

Thanks for the input so far guys.👍

Anyhow just went for a look at a cheapy 2.5manual.

Black on tan, but obviously a bit rough.

Pommy car with roof needing some love and interior that looked like it was 168k old rather than the advertised 68k. A few minor dents that didn’t look  to bad but definitely  in need of paint correction.

Missing most of its history and owner wasn’t familiar with what IMS was.

I didn’t drive it as I knew I wasn’t after a project. 

The search continues.

The Boxster market is deceiving, you only work this out once you start shopping for one... there is lots for sale, plenty of "cheap" ones, and no shortage of shitters that would be economical write offs to make right... 

I recall looking at one S, the owner was absolutely delusional about what he had... even refused a PPI and told me I shouldn't be looking at old cars because my expectations were not in line, so I did what any rational person would do and walked away, and bought an older Boxster from a fellow enthusiast :lol: that car ended up sitting well over another 6 months or more... the same ethos should be applied to Boxster, buy the seller! 

I looked for ages for low KM 986/987 and really wanted an "S" but after driving say 8-9 variants, I settled on a 05/06 987 5sp manual.

Doing much research, those engines with the larger single row IMS are just under-stressed high revving sweet running motors and the 5 sp shifted awesome.

Bought from Autohaus Hamilton who did a Mayor plus tranny fluids and bump stops.

The 5sp i find slow especially since we have a couple of new DSG cars already, but each to their own.

As a side note, I was keen on 986 but the interior has simply not aged well and fell for the look of later model.

Been a great fair weather car and so much fun, even did some track with an instructor next to me and boy does it corner when shown where the limit is.

Enjoy and there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 11:01, Frank said:

there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I have been following the 986 market for a couple of years. I only pay attention to manual cars.

Seems to me that a good 2.5s will cost you $30k, 2.7s a little more, and 3.2 Ss $40k ish.

If you buy cheaper, you'll end up spending the difference in maintenance, repairs etc anyway.

Get the best example you can afford, but that's what I reckon they're gonna cost you.

Yep thanks for suggestions.

Anyhow car shopping is off the table in the meantime (talks with bride 😢)

I was gently reminded of an O/S holiday coming up and pending retirement to plan for.

Anyhow we’ve decided to put the idea on ice.

Idea gone but not forgotten.😊

The problem with the 986 is that it shares a heap of parts with 993|996. The price of parts has skyrocketed for the 993 and 996 which is fine because dollar the value of the cars has shot up

However as another forum member pointed out a lot are economic write offs

It’s fine spending $20k on a 993 for parts and getting a few things fixed. However when you pay $20k for a 986 that’s a different story