Brock v Moffat v Richards ?

Vas

Reading a mag yesterday, engine builder Mick Webb was talking about the best drivers he ever worked with.

He felt that Jim Richards was the best.

I have felt the same way for a long time.

Jim has won in so many different cars over such a long time, from falcons to Porsches.

Brock was a great driver, but he always had by far the best cars when winning.

However, he was also a great driver on dirt.

Moffat was also a great driver winning in cars that would have been shocking to drive.

He would also beat bigger teams, and was a real thinker.

For me its Jim, the best of the older gen drivers.

What do you guys think ?

The new gen are so much better, they have been racing karts from a young age.

They are fit and start in the cars with 10 or 15 years of racing under the belt.

Have meet and Respect all 3 - Jimmy.

1. Jimmy for reasons above.

2. Followed Brock thru his career. Watched him in the rallycross in the Supercharged Torana.

3. Moff also drove variety of cars and Managed his teams.

It's interesting for you guys to think the same way.

The general public would say Brock.

That may be the driving a holden factor.

Saw Brock race an off road Truck once, the big hp trucks they race indoor over jumps.

He smashed them, having never driven one before.

I don't remember the Rally X at Calder in the 70s, but he was pretty good at that also.

Respect all 3 - Jimmy.

1. Jimmy for reasons above.

2. Followed Brock thru his career. Watched him in the rallycross in the Supercharged Torana.

3. Moff also drove variety of cars and managed his teams.

Cool, Mark.

That was the car with the big wing on the roof.

See if I can find a pic.

Vas,

RallyX track was Katoomba in the Blue Mountains out of Sydney.

Pretty sure they raced at Calder also, Mark.

I will check.

Yep, also at Calder.

Great looking Car for the time.

The thing about Brock was that his Bathurst wins outshadow his many other driving achievements, everyone thinks of him only as a 'Bathurst' driver.

Jim managed to stay at the top of his game for a very long time.

Moffat seemed to burn out much earlier in the piece.

The thing I like about the old drivers is that many of them built teams up around them rather than always stepping into the best drive. Not much scope for young guys to do that much anymore.

On balance I am going to give it to Jim for being the more complete guy, Brock had many character flaws IMO.

Moffat was my absolute hero growing up. I got to meet him one day at his garage which was where my 930 used to be serviced in toorak. Very nice fellow.

But JR was the best for me. He was able to turn his hand to any vehicle and was just so smooth and forgiving. Hence his wet weather driving ability.

All legends along with Pete Geoghan and Norm Beechey!!

Gentleman Jim would still kick any good drivers butt in a targa style event(and other events no doubt), as I am sure Brock and Moffat would too, but you gotta respect how well he still drives and his lust for driving that he still does it so often.

JR gets my vote too, as much as I respect the others

All are absolute legends in their own right IMO.  Moffat is my personal favourite for sentimental reasons.  I remember the excitement of watching Bathurst as a boy, the Hardie Ferado 500 as it was known then.  Dad taught me to drive when I was 9 in our XA Falcon.  I could just reach the pedals and I remember doing massive wheel spins on the dirt roads as I tried to master the balance between clutch and throttle ha ha.  Like so many people back then, it was a Ford or Holden thing and we were a Ford family.  Have enjoyed owning an XB GT coupe myself which I very foolishly sold to a mate 10 years ago before prices went North.  I find myself hoping that James Moffat can do well in the sport.  It seems incredibly difficult now.  Harder than ever with everyone being at such a high professional standard.

Jim - and not just because he drives Porsches!

I think Moffat's career was too short , would have loved to see him try Targa Tas.

Brocky was unbeatable in his backyard.

All great drivers - and great to see Jim & John Bowe still hard at it. 

Brock was a natural. Could drive anything well

Moffat wasn't. Had to work so hard at driving. Tenacious guy to keep his team going.

Richards - A man that just loves driving - anything. Nothing wrong with that.

Can't vote them into an order though. All legends.

Gentleman Jim would still kick any good drivers butt in a targa style event(and other events no doubt), as I am sure Brock and Moffat would too, but you gotta respect how well he still drives and his lust for driving that he still does it so often.

JR gets my vote too, as much as I respect the others

I hold all three in a high regard..........

As good as we all know Jim is, it was amazing to see Walter Rohrl's comparison times when he came across in his old SC for the Targa Tas a few years back. Walter in the wet (in a 30yo porsche) holding his own to Jim in a then current GT2. Amazing.

Agree times have changed, drivers back then had to do almost everything, now drivers can just focus on driving and get paid to do it! (plus the odd 'swisse' commercial!)

As good as we all know Jim is, it was amazing to see Walter Rohrl's comparison times when he came across in his old SC for the Targa Tas a few years back. Walter in the wet (in a 30yo porsche) holding his own to Jim in a then current GT2. 

The power to weight ratios are not all that different and the gearing in the SCRS ( a rare beast) is pretty optimal for rallying.

WR was voted the rally driver of the millenium by his peers ; he is in a class of his own. I don't think he has a fear gland.

The GT2 is a bit of a handful in the wet! 

Had the driveshaft not sheared I suspect Walter may have been on the podium at TT.

i'm sure you've seen this but you can't get too much of it ...btw the tacho was buggered hence the "conservative" redline  http://youtu.be/vRXBjMjsKvw

1. Him......seems to be still able to drive anything. Also a nice guy; bumped not him in a car park years ago and was very friendly and willing to have a chat about cars.

2. Brock...could also drive anything including an Austin A30......also an Eltham boy, so can't be all bad !!!

3. Moffat, only ever heard that he was a grumpy so and so........possibly not true of course.

Archived