Looking at buying 996 GT3 (mk1 or 2)

Hi Porsche community,

Looking at buying a 996 GT3 and wondering if anyone knows the history to the current red Mk1 GT3 on car sales listed at Autohaus?

Not original seats or roll cage suggest a tough (race) life.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-2000-14458351?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=8&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282&num=15&silo=Stock&items=%5bMake%3aPORSCHE%2cModel%3a911%2cBaseEnabledBadge%3aGT3%5d&sort=LastUpdate

Also what is a "fair" price for a 996 GT3.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice provided.

Regards

Richard.

Hi, Richard.

The 996 GT3 is a great car for the money.

That red car is a stock GT3, not a Club sport(these came with a factory cage).

The mark 1 price seems to be around $100/120k mark for a good car.

Some people feel the Mk1 will be the better car as far as resale goes in the future.

However if performance is more your game, the Mk2 is a faster car for around the same money.

Colour is something you should also think about as it can have an impact on the resale.

Most GT3s have seen the track at some stage.

As long as it has not been thrashed to death, thats not an issue as they are built for track days and to be used.

A good PPI will tell the condition of wear related to track use.

So if you have that budget of around $100k, these are the best Porsche in that range.

If you do want to track the car, hold out for a Club Sport.

Good luck with the looking.

Let us know how you go.

And welcome to the forum.

This a nice car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-2000-12075070?base=&vertical=Car&cr=9&eapi=2&__N=4294963765%201216%204294963707%204294739562&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=default

Not many Mk1's around and it the general consensus they will be more collectible... Sorry can't help you with the red one, but I wouldn't be too concerned if its been tracked after all you don't buy a GT3 to run down to the shops ..though I probably would if I had one :)

Vas930... What's your call on desirable colors ?

Hi Vas & Bad,

"It was originally delivered in club sport spec but today has touring spec seats fitted and the roll cage removed. It is an original matching engine / chassis number car in its original colour red".

Hi Vas & Bad,

"It was originally delivered in club sport spec but today has touring spec seats fitted and the roll cage removed. It is an original matching engine / chassis number car in its original colour red".

Sorry typo with my double post.  (getting used to the format)

The GT3 for me will be a weekend only car, would prefer the Clubsport for the seats & cage.

The above comments about the car being delivered as a CS were from the red GT3 listing.

Vas & Bad thanks for the advice.

Richard.

find out if they still have the factory cage and seats. My preference would be to have these items with the car. MK1 club sport in speed yellow would be lovely for me. The club sport option also has a single mass flywheel, which will make the transaxle rattle and make noises that 'road' cars dont make. Gives a more immediate throttle response though.......would wear you down if it was your daily driver I would suspect......

Think a guy called Mark Phelan is selling his 996GT3CS which has been sorted very nicely if you're into Tracking it. Believe he did a 1:42 at the old Eastern Creek GP circuit on R spec rubber which is hauling ass. Think that car is maintained by Autohaus so perhaps James might pipe in?

Patrick, the Phelan car is indeed maintained by Autohaus Hamilton.

If anybody wants more info on the GT3, give Scott a call on (02) 9905 1455.

On a general note, I'd be surprised if there are many (any?) 996 GT3's that have not seen at least some track time. As noted earlier, it's what these cars were designed for.

And if the OP likes the look of the red one at AH.. why not ring them and see what info you can get about the car?  I don't see the point in guessing why the seats and roll cage have been removed, better off finding the actual history of the car.

Hi Amanda,

Was seeking view's/history other than could be provided by the selling dealer from the Porsche community.(thought this was valid?).

That said spoke to Scott, who provide a very honest view of the work undertaken to prepare the GT3 for sale. 

Hi Amanda,

Was seeking view's/history other than could be provided by the selling dealer from the Porsche community.(thought this was valid?).

That said spoke to Scott, who provide a very honest view of the work undertaken to prepare the GT3 for sale. 

Of course it's valid - sorry, sometimes original meaning gets lost on the screen. I meant no malice and wasn't being sarcastic.

:)

• 5 months later...

It took a while,                                                                                                                                                                                

I have just paid a deposit on the following GT3 http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2000/SSE-AD-2345922/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Any suggestions on a good transport company Bris, to Melb, and the indicative cost                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Richard         

It took a while,                                                                                                                                                                                

I have just paid a deposit on the following GT3 http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2000/SSE-AD-2345922/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Any suggestions on a good transport company Bris, to Melb, and the indicative cost                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Richard         

didn't think that would last long. well done.

It took a while,                                                                                                                                                                                

Richard         

Spotted that just the other day too... it looks nice, good options (is it a CS?) are you getting your own PPI done as well? 

Given that your from Melbourne did you check the Iris blue 996.1 out at RSR?

I have used SMB transport previously to move from Brisbane to Sydney... you may have some special requirements/requests though should you get this moved, get in touch with them.. it was less than $700 to get a car from Sunshine coast to Sydney with SMB. 

It took a while,                                                                                                                                                                                

Richard         

Well done Richard!

As for the best transportation option IMO...  A one way flight up there then your right foot all the way home :D

Thanks for the supportive comments Porsche Forum members,

Q: Is it a CS?, are you getting your own PPI done as well?

A: Touring with factory fit CS leather seats and OEM rear (chrome) cage, I rang Porsche Centre Brisbane (PCB), was lucky enough to speak directly with the Tech that wrote the report and new the car and owner well (all better than OK)  

Q: Given that your from Melbourne did you check the Iris blue 996.1 out at RSR?

A: Yes, nice car little high on KMs and no cage or CS seats,

Q: A one way flight up there then your right foot all the way home.

A: Yes looking best option. 

Good going! Mine is a touring with the Recaros as well (no cage though :(

I did speak to the owner of the iris blue car before it went to rsr, sounded like a very tidy car, I wans't a fan of the lack of options though, but what a colour for that car. :) 

I drove mine back from Brisbane in July, I would second that one way ticket notion... :) 

Archived