7yrs of ownership - still lovin my old 911

Philbee

In July 2016 I bought my classic 911. So this last July, has me at  7yrs of ownership. Ever since I saw a singer all those years ago, maybe around 2005/2007 I’ve had a thing for a long hood. I’d never seen one before. And a ducktail! ❤️ But buying an actual, original old long hood is way out of my financial league and I’ve always like the resto-mod ethos. You know, old car, new technology…Going back further,  20yrs+  I considered buying an MG as there was a wshop down the road from me that modernised them, new drive train, brakes, suspension EFI engines, etc… had a look but didn’t pull the trigger.

And I could never pull apart an original classic beauty. But a replica, already bastardised, was ok…

So i was on the lookout for a bastard! I mean a hotrod, a backdated one in Porsche speak. This forum was instrumental in researching and teething my way through learning about the car before and after its purchase, so thanks to the brains trust and the supportive community we have here on the forum. 

looking back i remember googling mysterious acronyms like SMT, NA, ICE… But now, they just roll off my tongue. Haha! 

Anyway, the enthusiasm bit is why I’m writing…. After 7yrs now and a lot of minor tweaks and refinements like red seat belts, wheel refurb, new decals, removal of tint, re-upholster of seats, exhaust & header update, delete aircon, del radio, new momo wheel, etc, the car has still not quite reached my  “peak car” yet  but is definitely many steps in that direction.

I’ve been thinking lately why I still love looking at the bloody thing, driving it, hearing it, changing gears, blipping it, washing it, taking pics of it… even just a cruise around my neighbourhood. I mean I don’t even need to go up in ‘them thar hills’ with a bunch of you blokes early on a Sunday  to enjoy it. Still, 7yrs later! Why is it?

one thing for sure is  the 911 shape as well as my long hood & duck fetishes. Also, the sound I now have with my upgraded exhaust. It’s a bloody musical treat every time I start it, rev it, accelerate in it. why is it that the sound a car makes when you accelerate makes such a pleasurable response… ?? many a YouTube seems to repeat this formula.
I can’t break it down to a physiological or psychological level that aligns with a simple aural input but  I Can’t get enough of that sound. And it changes, it’s not a sound but sounds - upto 3k, 3-5k, 5-6k, 7k! I gotta tell you I don’t often hit the 7k sound but oh boy, that little pipe at the back left corner simply screams like I’ve never heard before when it gets to the 7k sound…. I feel the Germans with all their enviro regs and rules have really lost it in this area. I remember pulling in to PCB for a cars n coffee morning a few years ago and a brand spanking new gt3rs pulled in next to me and I felt sorry for the guy funnily. All that $$ and the car sounded pissy, maybe just me…

But whatever it is about my car, it delivers in spades & it’s exactly what I seem to want more of. I suspect a GT4RS would probably do it for me  but do I need to spend 4x the spondoolas to get the extra rush? Maybe? I don’t need to go faster, I don’t need the electronics, but If someone could lend them their… no stop, don’t.

I started my driving car life in a Datsun 1600, tried an alpha gtv for a bit until my money ran out, then a few bmw’s…But these old Porsches seem to kick arse like no other!. The look, the long hood is so cute, the 911 shape, those bug eye headlights! There’s faster cars than mine, more nimble etc… but thats not it. I’m sure the outright speed, sophistication, comfort, convenience, technology, ease of use is alluring in a modern car and like cocaine is an addictive drug but I’m ok to stay away.

My old thing challenges me every time but it’s not how fast I can go, it’s about the mechanics of gear changes, braking right, turning in and out of corners… These challenges as well as the mix of pleasures I mentioned, are somewhat one way to explain why?. But hey… If I win Tatts though, please disregard the last sentence as I’ll be up a gt4rs like a rat up a drain pipe. 😀 But the unknown is how long would that love affair last, I mean addiction…? Would it make 7yrs and still be as strong as year 1? I’m a little doubtful actually…

The next harlet that comes along will be a little faster, new technology added… & after 7yrs of new models, the newest kid on the block will be so young, sleeker, make my 2023 gt4 look like a run down bag of bolts. I guess I’m not into change over, update, flip… I like to hang on. I like the stability of the same car… I get attached, I can’t just sell like it was… just a car. I’ve personalised it so much, it’s come along way with me… it’s not the $ spent, it’s the look and feel I’ve created. And don’t forget the sound!! 

Don’t get me wrong I’m not begrudging anyone with a modern car, all respect to you and your success in life. But the old school fun and pleasure I get from my old classic is more than making my life very happy. A constant beauty I continue to love and enjoy same as July 2016…

I’m not as regular on the PFA 7yrs later but I do try and keep in touch. Btw, the Porsche community and people I’ve met through this forum, etc is bloody awesome too and has definitely contributed to my enjoyment of ownership but this post was about the car…

keep happy, love your petrol car. (Apologies to taycan owners)

philbee

DC21F062-97D2-4393-9835-91F728442338.jpeg

Great write up Phil 👍

I too am at 7 years of 911 ownership, yet I'd kinda fallen out of love with driving it the past 2 years or so for various reasons, which included boredom, work life and just not being in the right head space if I'm honest.

I still love to look at it when I take the cover off, and I still smile knowing that I own the car that I've dreamt of since I first saw a 911 when was 10 years old 47 years ago, and it's the longest I've ever owned any vehicle apart from my work van.

I've done my own work to it to do the backdating and other little bits n pieces that I learnt on forums and YouTube videos, and just having a crack at it, so I've definitely made it into the car I set out to 'build', and even though most won't see my car as being perfect, I wouldn't change a thing.

I've driven it on dirt roads, rain, hail or shine much to the disgust of some 😅 I've crashed it and nearly written it off, had some bloody good drives in it, and I've thrown the keys at people I don't know just to let them experience what it's like to drive one of these old things, which in hindsight probably isn't that smart of an idea, and I've also met loads of great people through Porsche ownership.

I could waffle on for ages about owning this car, and I hope to be back driving it sooner than later, yet you've basically covered what I would say, so I'll just shut up 👍

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Just about to hit 20 years with my first, a lot of quality time spent together. 

I’ve had a bunch through the garage over the years, but the 1970 911T that I tarmac rallied  (and otherwise competed in) for years I’ve had since about the mid/late 90’s! 

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I’ve had a bunch through the garage over the years, but the 1970 911T that I tarmac rallied  (and otherwise competed in) for years I’ve had since about the mid/late 90’s! 

Tarmac rallying is a very special bonding experience. 

But you have had  other lovers on the side   :) 

Its the cars that still talk to us that are important mate ...mine is whispering in the night to me ,  26 years later to be driven and  right now  is crying for some new tyres to be fitted that are stacked next to it..  

and yes beyond the cars , the connections too, fostered by the forum ..enjoy..hope to chase you over the hills sometime ..bring those special driving gloves ...cheers fella

From the heart and nicely written Phil, lots of those things ring true.

These older cars on paper shouldn't deliver what they do compared to more modern versions but once you get hooked they make so much sense, to me they are a member of our family 🤣