What Porsche for my mum?

Russ

Hi Everyone,

Okay, I'm personally not a fan of these threads, but I really need some help. I know it's early to start looking but I want to make sure she gets the right car. Mum's replacing her current car early next year, After being in my 911 she wants a Porsche too (turns out she's always wanted one)

her requirements are below:

• Daily driver
  • sort of practical
  • coupe preferred
  • $40k-$50k
  • a colour (not the "safe" colours of Red/Grey/Silver/Black/White)
  • As reliable as possible
  • not big on the shape of 944/968/928 or 993/996's

We've been looking at 2005 Tiptronic 987 Boxsters, on the understanding she'll get the hardtop as required, or I assume by next year Cayman's will have come down into this range too?

Also been looking at 80s 911's, she'd be fine with sportomatic in a late 70s car too. Or even a 964, but most of them seem to be cabrio's in the price range.

so, ideas? thanks for your help in advance

Have a look through Amanda Shopping thread(s).  May give you some ideas.

I believe the white sporto at Maitland (Metford) is still available, check car point.

yeah, I've looked at that white sporto, and it has come down a fair bit in price.

I think she's worried about reliability and running cost due to age. I think a well maintained older 911 is going to be just as reliable as a more recent boxster

I spoke with the owner of the white sporto. Sounds like a fantastic car. Well maintained and good history from what he said. Originally it was advertised at $40k but has had to come down in price as it is a sporto. Worth a look. 

yeah, I've looked at that white sporto, and it has come down a fair bit in price.

I think she's worried about reliability and running cost due to age. I think a well maintained older 911 is going to be just as reliable as a more recent boxster

certainly less to go wrong!

as i mentioned in the other thread, after a decade of track work the only thing that broke was a fuel pump. not a bad record!

Maybe get her into a test drive of a 996? She might change her mind once driven. There's an awesome speed yellow Cab with hardtop in Melbourne that I looked at. Gorgeous car!

I'm assuming she's living in Qld too? Would your Mum want a car with poor to no air-con? Especially a DD

For me, I needed to drive quite a few cars to figure it out. I think you better take her shopping :)

The list you drew up makes it simpler...

Though you didn't mention whether your mah prefers man vs auto.

She needs to go to a few smt's and of course rennsport....give er a good gander at some cars and chance for a drive.

This is tasty... http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-449268&Cr=45

Why has this not sold?

If you ask me getting a Porsche in the first place is not a good idea and it’s better to buy a minivan or a SUV.

Says the apparent owner of a Carrera GT...........

aren't there horror stories of the repair of the 4wd system being astronomical?

I could not comment sorry, maybe someone else can? 

But surely it could not fill the gap of the C4:C2 price point? 

IIRC Babs was saying something like $1600 for wheel speed sensors that are not a matter of if but when you have to replace them. 964 C4 is alot more complex than 993 and not a matter of being able to just pull it out and go 2WD.

Yadda Yadda Yadda, the reason C2's are better bang for buck apart from epic C4 understeer.

there's something about the smell of diff oil

I think a 964 or 993 would be good for her, just got to find a good well looked after one. I think a 987 Boxster is still riding the depreciation rollercoaster

I think the 987 S has started to bottom out and are a helluva lot of car for the $$. I've not driven a 987 but for what she is looking for it would tick alot fo boxes.

That or a 993 CS/RS is what she needs young man.

there's something about the smell of diff oil

I think a 964 or 993 would be good for her, just got to find a good well looked after one. I think a 987 Boxster is still riding the depreciation rollercoaster

I thought you mentioned she wasnt keen on the 993 shape?  If so, put her in a 996 to test drive as well as you mentioned both of these models in the same sentence. They drive more modern than a 993 does.

Archived