1965 356 C for sale in Victoria

Caver

Being a Cab and having an engine rebuilt by 356 Legend Harry Pellow this car has all the provenance to command the highest money.

Harry Pellow has been in the Karrosserie in the sky for many years now.

Australian Delivered RHD and being a 1965 makes it quite a rare car as this was a last of the line 356 C model, built at the same time they were manufacturing the 901.

1965 356C/SC Production numbers indicate that a RHD Cab is a very very rare car.

However, I would estimate its current value at closer to $145k. You need to assess that a quality 1964 356C Cab that has been restored and converted to RHD, painted re-sale red, still commands a $135k asking price.

Speedsters and Convertible D's are 200k plus, if you can find a RHD one, that would still need lots of wonga thrown at it.

They don't make these anymore and this is definitely a collector car, I'd guarantee you'd get more looks and attention in this car than just about anything else short of a Lamborghini Aventador.

This car would make a sound investment and as a bonus would be a lot of fun to own and drive, but not at the asking price.

*Disclaimer* subject to it checking out as a matching numbers car.

I'd guarantee you'd get more looks and attention in this car than just about anything else short of a Lamborghini Aventador.

I don't know man, I get a fair bit of attention in my Speedster replica at a 1/3 of the price!

I don't know man, I get a fair bit of attention in my Speedster replica at a 1/3 of the price!

Yes, you know what I mean. You would get alot of attention as they are fabulous looking cars. People are just drawn to them.

What motor is in your Replica and what make is it? ie: Chesil etc....

Yes, you know what I mean. You would get alot of attention as they are fabulous looking cars. People are just drawn to them.

What motor is in your Replica and what make is it? ie: Chesil etc....

1600 from an early 356B

Mine is a Vintage Speedster

We've had a good run down from Wasser about the strengths of the cab - yet this one (link below) is asking $160k. I don't understand what's going on here, but perhaps I'm missing something - why is this particular car pitched at this price point?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-356A-1957/SSE-AD-2089108/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

We've had a good run down from Wasser about the strengths of the cab - yet this one (link below) is asking $160k. I don't understand what's going on here, but perhaps I'm missing something - why is this particular car pitched at this price point?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-356A-1957/SSE-AD-2089108/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

Well, its a 1957 356A, so it is rare to see one of these.

This particular car has had alot of modification and customisation applied to it.

Why is it asking $160k?

I am not sure to be honest. Its clearly a quality custom build with some tasteful touches applied to it.

I would be astonished to learn if this car sold for over 100k, let alone 160k. I am not knocking the builder and/or owner but I think its pitched way too high.

For example, any mint original (or properly restored) 356A would be in the range of 80-120k, dependant on the cars history and quality of restoration.

356A Coupes tend to be the red-headed step child of the A Models (with the exception of interesting optioned coupes with DOHC Fuhrmann Carrera engines in GT/GS guise) as Convertibles , Speedsters and Convertible D's command the big dollars.

I don't want to offend the owner or seller of this particular car and I'd love to see this car make close to its asking price, however I feel that it is pitched way too high and its market is small.

I like the car though!

I believe it has been sold from what I have read on another forum.

As much as I like the car, as it suits my taste, I couldn't fathom paying that much for a car that is not in standard factory spec, unless I had more money than sense and just wanted to add it to my collection.

I suppose it's worth what someone is prepared to pay, though I'm sure I could find 2 or 3 Porsche's to stash in my garage for that kind of money.

I'd just need a bigger garage!

This is one of his other cars for sale

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1490871

I'll eat my hat if that thing bought $160K. 

Stranger things have happened, I'd be astonished if, for example it brought 160k and it was a full back to factory restoration.

I know of one similar Vintage 356A that is a quality restoration and has been for sale for some 2.5 Years at 150k.

Its a rarified market.

I do however, really hope that this seller does get some decent cash for this car as it has clearly been built with a purpose in mind.

Begs a question though:

Which one would readers of this thread want?

The 356C Cab or the 356A Outlaw Nutter?

I'll take the 356C Cab thanks.

The thing about outlaws or hotrods, is they are done to that person's taste. Almost always I look at them and think.... hmm cool but I would have done x y z instead. A factory correct restoration is always going to have a much larger market. 

The thing about outlaws or hotrods, is they are done to that person's taste. Almost always I look at them and think.... hmm cool but I would have done x y z instead. A factory correct restoration is always going to have a much larger market. 

Yep.

I always liked to modify cars so that people have to ask, "So I know its different but, what have you done to it?" 

So its not obvious. Until you start them up ,of course, then it becomes obvious.

^that is 7 shades of awesome. 

I was reading about these yesterday. Two "update" Speedsters built at the factory in 1976. Based on 50's 356A's and one with a 4 cam. Dubbed 356C Speedster.

c_speedster_3.jpg?1361415290

c_speedster_5.jpg?1361415262

c_speedster_9.jpg?1361415207

c_speedster_4.jpg?1361415276

Archived