Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

At the risk of bursting a bubble, it's still a left hand drive sportomatic in its original form. Beautiful now, and well cared for, but not quite the Australian delivered rare iconic 1972 911 manual that is so desirable these days.

I think it's worth half to two thirds the value of an equivalent 1972 Australian delivered 911, whatever that might be on the day.

Someone could take advantage of the falling dollar and send it home, to wherever it came from. It could be converted back to LHD.

Or, avoid a whole lot of restoration work and just drive it as is, accepting it's not quite kosher.

I dare say the owner is chasing top dollar. It's a beautifully crafted advertisement. Doesn't read like he's around my estimate on the price. Caveat emptor.

Very Nice

Nice, what do you think it would be worth???

Difficult, I'd estimate the value of this car to be in the region of 75-90k.

What a belter, MFI, that interior and that colour.

If it was all original then the price would be another 10-15%.

I don't see that the car is any less of a vehicle without its sporto. Finding a better car at the moment would be difficult.

Of course if you want an all original one then you are going to have to pay for it, but this thing blows my hair back.

I'd challenge anyone to find any signs of its conversion without know the VIN details etc....

The problem with RHD conversions is that people have seen some horrors and then tar all other conversions with the same brush.

I really like this car. ALOT.

At the risk of bursting a bubble, it's still a left hand drive sportomatic in its original form. Beautiful now, and well cared for, but not quite the Australian delivered rare iconic 1972 911 manual that is so desirable these days.

I think it's worth half to two thirds the value of an equivalent 1972 Australian delivered 911, whatever that might be on the day.

Someone could take advantage of the falling dollar and send it home, to wherever it came from. It could be converted back to LHD.

Or, avoid a whole lot of restoration work and just drive it as is, accepting it's not quite kosher.

I dare say the owner is chasing top dollar. It's a beautifully crafted advertisement. Doesn't read like he's around my estimate on the price. Caveat emptor.

+1, I tend to agree - well said. 

Very Nice

Difficult, I'd estimate the value of this car to be in the region of 75-90k.

What a belter, MFI, that interior and that colour.

If it was all original then the price would be another 10-15%.

I don't see that the car is any less of a vehicle without its sporto. Finding a better car at the moment would be difficult.

Of course if you want an all original one then you are going to have to pay for it, but this thing blows my hair back.

I'd challenge anyone to find any signs of its conversion without know the VIN details etc....

The problem with RHD conversions is that people have seen some horrors and then tar all other conversions with the same brush.

I really like this car. ALOT.

I too really like this car and would think he would get offers around the 70k mark. Agree is a good looking car and ticks many boxes but there are a few good 901's on the market at the moment and my thoughts are he would have difficulty moving it for anything above 80k IMO. I would really like to know what it sells for (if it indeed does sell). Looks like a lot of dollars have been spent on it - nice car. 

It is lovely, and at the right price would be delightful to own. As Wasserkuhl and I have discussed on another thread, for me it all comes down to whether the car started as an Australian delivered 911. I learnt this the hard way, and this car is a classic example. If all that work had been done to an Australian car, even if it wasn't done as well, it would be worth a lot more, and quite likely it would have sold straight up in October. Now it's languishing in no-mans land, looking for a new owner, with money, who doesn't care about provenance. They are hard to find. It will sell, but not for what it could be worth with a local VIN.

I love the colour, like the condition, and appreciate the effort that's gone into it. Hope it finds a good home but it won't be with me as I've walked the walk again on something else.

If it was an Oz Delivered 2.4s with MFI Factory RHD its a 100k+ car.

Hopefully someone invests in this car as it has clearly had alot of love. Its a shame that conversions get written off. I think that with these cars, you need to consider every car for its merits, if its had a hack conversion , walk away, factory parts and full photographic evidence of the process does give alot of comfort.

Are there any similar vintage Longhoods on the market at the moment? (not Targa's)

If it was an Oz Delivered 2.4s with MFI Factory RHD its a 100k+ car.

Hopefully someone invests in this car as it has clearly had alot of love. Its a shame that conversions get written off. I think that with these cars, you need to consider every car for its merits, if its had a hack conversion , walk away, factory parts and full photographic evidence of the process does give alot of comfort.

Are there any similar vintage Longhoods on the market at the moment? (not Targa's)

Don't get me wrong Steve, I love the car. It is just on the question of value these are the items that still tend to play a part in determining the 'real' value - that said who's to say what someone will pay for it? If it was an oz delivery it may well be priced 100k+, but unfortunately it is not and it's hard to know what that is worth as a result. There are a few good cars on the market at the moment for around the 70k mark with similar credentials (some selling, some still sitting), hence my guess at a price. I have been looking and that's where I would be pitching if I were to pursue this car.  

No because, unless it's the UK, they are all left hand drive to start with.

Swap countries with impunity.

Or as an old dealer mate once told me, if the steering stays on the same side, so does the value.

He also pinched the old chestnut from somewhere, "if the roof goes down the price goes up", but that certainly does not apply to Porsches.

The opposite is the case.

One of the reasons I love the ruddy things!

Another is that when the "sunroof delete" option is clicked, the car is worth more down the years.

And I agree, the quote in that ad for the pastel car is rather cute. "Very few remain in original condition like this car"

Matches the "only nine were delivered in Australia in 1972", but not this particular one unfortunately.

Like I said, a beautifully crafted advertisement.

Caveat emptor.

Or, as John Lennon sang, "and so this is Christmas........"

I tend to agree except for sporto vs manual. Definitely there was a time when a sporto converted to a manual was considered an improvement, but with sportos becoming rarer I'm not so sure if this sentiment still holds IMHO.

Agreed D-banger.

I don't want one, but I take your point.

If it's rare enough, someone will want it and pay accordingly.

Or put another way, I'd rather have an original sportomatic than a converted car, all being equal.

If Vic Elford could win events in one, who are we to argue?

Nice car, love the colour.

Is it really worth $166K ???? I have no idea about prices for early 911's

Its up there but possible as there are very few cars in completely original condition of this era. A complete car restored can fetch 100k+ (if restored like it left the factory). This being 'as' it left the factory is something very special indeed and I would'nt be surprised if someone payed close to the asking price. 

Viper green is also worth a premium IMO!  :)

Guest hepkat63

what a beautiful car.  I am also wondering why more people don't make videos like that when they are selling their car - sure makes sense to me.