Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parramatta/cars-vans-utes/porsche-928s/1085473260

Just drive it until it breaks down. Which it probably won't , given the history. And unlike a lot of "projects" listed here , no rust so that's money to spend up front.

These things really are built like trucks. Or tanks.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parramatta/cars-vans-utes/porsche-928s/1085473260

Just drive it until it breaks down. Which it probably won't , given the history. And unlike a lot of "projects" listed here , no rust so that's money to spend up front.

These things really are built like trucks. Or tanks.

How do cars that once cost more than a decent house end up in such a state?  Who is the person that first neglects it, the person that then pulls it apart with no plan to reassemble, the person who leaves it parked in the weather unregistered?

How do cars that once cost more than a decent house end up in such a state?  Who is the person that first neglects it, the person that then pulls it apart with no plan to reassemble, the person who leaves it parked in the weather unregistered?

I think the vast majority of people out there see cars as mere transport and when these former high end cars become affordable (and people feel like being "adventurous") to these type of people they either do not give the car the maintenance, love and money it needs (because they are use to boring shopping boxes) or care nought for maintenance and just drive it until it stops. In other words non enthusiasts!

probably because by the time it got this far down the food chain this guys ride on lawnmower cost him more so he couldn't give a shit. We probably forget sometimes that most cars devalue to the graveyard. Despite tassies best efforts theres probably just not enough 928 lovers out there as is proved by their current value. Presents a bargain to some but has allowed many to be abused in their life time. 

I think the vast majority of people out there see cars as mere transport and when these former high end cars become affordable (and people feel like being "adventurous") to these type of people they either do not give the car the maintenance, love and money it needs (because they are use to boring shopping boxes) or care nought for maintenance and just drive it until it stops. In other words non enthusiasts!

I get that for normal cars, but a 928?   Who goes shopping for a car and decides on a 928 without giving it serious thought beforehand?  Do people abuse Astons and Ferraris like that?

I suppose I see it every day in BMW land where people find a 3 series descending 'into their reach' and then treat it like a Kia, which it invariably rejects in short order by failing to proceed within 12 months of ownership.  I see young guys with formerly-nice 3 series scraping along the ground on stupid wheels, grotty interiors full of takeaway boxes and stupid stickers all over the windows.  I remember getting a lift from a guy with a not-that-old Falcon once - he had 'installed' a new stereo by ripping the old one out and twisting some wires into the connections, then leaving the new one on the passenger floor.  You had to pick it up to change radio stations, and put it back down on the floor.

I suppose there are people who treat a 928 the same way.  I just find it hard to imagine.

There are many basket case Boxsters and 996s in the USA and England. 2nd and 3rd owners don't do the maintenance and can't afford the stealership. 

In Australia, if you live out of a capital city who would you trust to work on your Euro supercar? 

The early 986s and 996s are starting to crack and the only thing holding the prices up are the relatively low numbers compared to overseas - where they are not uncommon.

What's the cost to fix a buggered 986/996 engine? What's the cost to repair an interior worn out in the hot Sydney sun? 

The good ones will be cherished like the good 928s. The bad ones will be trashed , like the bad 928s.

At least 928s are relatively simple DIY propositions.

What about all these crappy early 911s found in barns and posted here fairly regularly? Far less solid than any paddock found 928.

My best efforts are nothing more than pulling the blinkers off those who steadfastly drink XXXX and nothing else.

And I will support the heritage of Porsche , however deeply flawed it may be (and certainly was) , it was the best efforts of many at the time.

Who is yet to drive a 928 here? They don't bite ya know ;)

In Australia, if you live out of a capital city who would you trust to work on your Euro supercar? 

Good point. 

I once enquired about a Mk1 GT3 and the guy lived in Albury, he told me that he drove it to PCM to get serviced... 3 or so hours each way! That dedicated 

Good point. 

I once enquired about a Mk1 GT3 and the guy lived in Albury, he told me that he drove it to PCM to get serviced... 3 or so hours each way! That dedicated 

You don't see Lambos in Hobart,  and it's not because we don't have a few really rich bastards down here. And I know P car and other brand e.g. Masa owners who take their cars to Melbourne for service. That adds a few thou to the bill .

You don't see Lambos in Hobart,  and it's not because we don't have a few really rich bastards down here. And I know P car and other brand e.g. Masa owners who take their cars to Melbourne for service. That adds a few thou to the bill .

Indeed! 

Taz,

I've got to call you on this statement - untrue!

If that was true surely their resale value would be much higher.

Spend some time on Rennlist and if you are prepared to roll up your sleeves there is nothing to fear. See post #9

I read about a guy (Octane mag?) with no mechanical skills who bought an Espada and dropped and rebuilt the 12 cyl engine on his driveway. 

Mind you Lambo parts are really expensive and hard to find. Lots of 928 bits lying around.

The killer for 928s is that fixing alloy bodywork is tricky , a proper respray is $ and like all watercooled cars there are the recurrent TB/WP expenses.

All old luxury GT cars are expensive to retrim. But if you have a few bucks

The electrical problems like most cars relate to old wiring/relays/fuses. It's just the 928 has a sophisticated set up with relays for just about everything.

I rest my case. I'd take a 928 over a 986/996 any day of the week if DIY maintenance was a prerequisite of ownership.

The 928 has suffered because of the 911 purist snobbery BS that we all know about. Of course I have no dog in the fight ; I even drove my funny old 6 cylinder Beetle to work today :D Noisy cramped little thing that it is!

PS post from an expert P car mechanic on Rennlist

The 993 is a wonderful car....and I love them, also.

And it came from the same era as a GTS 928....

And they seem to have roughly the same values....now that the GTS modelshave increased in their values.

It seems like all cars have some inherent flaws.....but never let the 911 guys give you any crap about how great and reliable their cars are. 

The 993s have terrible valve guide issues......I've done valve jobs on cars with less than 30,000 miles. Their alternator wiring loom problems are well known. They have "paper" discs in their limited slips that disintegrate and spread abrasive particles through the entire transmission, ruining the bearings (this is a disaster). They have air injection orifices that plug up and set OBD 2 codes (after 1995)...which sometimes require removing the cylinder heads to repair. 

And they are not very simple or very quick to work on....

Actually, when I stop and think about the "issues" with the 993s and the issues with the 928 GTSs....maybe it did make sense to bring in some Japanese engineers to help with the Boxsters and the 996s.....the German engineers weren't doing spectacular work.

I wonder which set of engineers dreamed up that IMS design? That's some fine work, there!

Taz,

I'm not convinced!:)

Let's go a bit closer in terms of era for era.  Surely you can't argue that a G series is not a much simpler DIY proposition than a 928!

Why always compare 911s to 928s?

But comparing a G series 911 to a 928 is like comparing a VW Beetle to a BMW 6 series. Different strokes.

All I said was that they are "relatively simple DIY propositions". And as mentioned , with no rust issues , you are way ahead in time and money.

Again , I rest my case!