Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Gotta love those catastrophic events...oil thread anyone?

At 80,000km and requiring the engine block to be replaced? 

(Maybe he means they bought a "short block" from the states rather than just a "block" as it was cheaper than reconditioning the exist engine because it had damaged the infamous No.2 big end?) 

Would be a nice car to own by the looks though.

Edited by Peter M

At 80,000km and requiring the engine block to be replaced? 

(Maybe he means they bought a "short block" from the states rather than just a "block" as it was cheaper than reconditioning the exist engine because it had damaged the infamous No.2 big end?) 

Peter , my car had a catastrophic event in 1997 , reasons unknown . The block was cracked (maybe just split rad hose and overheated ?) and was incorrectly repaired with a liner. The blocks are not iron! Anyway that led to an insurance payout and a rebuild using a 5.0 block from the USA (relatively plentiful due to heads being destroyed from TB failures) whilst keeping the Aussie high comp head and K Jetronic. After a little skimming and flycutting the car is somewhat better than what the factory offered at the time.

This was before all the internet knowledge on bearing oiling issues on race cars , superchargers and turbochargers. It's still a hot rod though and goes to prove what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :)

is that a factory fire extinguisher in one of the pics. Not in the market for a 928 but I'd suspect the car may been a tracked a little.... I've no idea if that has an impact on price for Porsches, as it may do for other marques 

is that a factory fire extinguisher in one of the pics. Not in the market for a 928 but I'd suspect the car may been a tracked a little.... I've no idea if that has an impact on price for Porsches, as it may do for other marques 

All my fuel injected cars carry FEs , even though I have replaced most if not all of the high pressure lines. Anyone who doesn't is waving their tail in the mouth of a wolf. And tracked can mean motorkhana , hill climb or non-speed event but where regs insist on a FE.

But you might be right.

& I hope those early 996 owners carry FEs too ; the lines will be getting brittle.

Peter , my car had a catastrophic event in 1997 , reasons unknown . The block was cracked (maybe just split rad hose and overheated ?) 

Actually a cracked block was my first thought too given it had only done 80,000km but all his talk about engine oil made me think big end issue.  

Or maybe the block cracked allowing coolant into the engine oil making it the "wrong oil"!

Edited by Peter M

Actually a cracked block was my first thought too given it had only done 80,000km but all his talk about engine oil made me think big end issue.  

Or maybe the block cracked allowing coolant into the engine oil making it the "wrong oil"!

Bruce Buchanan may chime in,  given he and Sean are the 928 gurus. Here's a quick oily summary for anyone casually reading http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/tttbf.htm

Of course using the wrong oil type can cause catastrophic failure, thrust bearing type. As Bruce will say , these are last century engines! Use the correct oil! Don't even start to ask me what is the correct oil Peter ;) I just read the guidebook that comes with the car.

Amazing looking 928 and 86 probably being my favourite model http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-928-1986/OAG-AD-12982468/?Cr=0 but if they get anywhere near the $50k asking I will be totally amazed! Dealer trying to cash in on 911 market gains??! World has gone mad!!

With very low original KM and in original condition this vehilce will suit the collector or enthusiast. Unfortunately no log books available.

Yes, every collector dreams of finding a low km original condition car with absolutely no way to substantiate it's provenance. Really, what is this advertiser thinking?! <insert scoff emoticon> 

Not knowing who the seller is, perhaps they don't consider the conversion relevant? Thinking the condition quality of the car is more important?  Though they do know it is a converted car 

this car like any other of similar vintage I'm more concerned with overall condition. Conversion if done ok-well is a by the by. Though I appreciate for some it's a deal breaker and or some will pay or have paid over the odds on a shitter albeit orig RHD. 

Not knowing who the seller is, perhaps they don't consider the conversion relevant? Thinking the condition quality of the car is more important?  Though they do know it is a converted car 

this car like any other of similar vintage I'm more concerned with overall condition. Conversion if done ok-well is a by the by. Though I appreciate for some it's a deal breaker and or some will pay or have paid over the odds on a shitter albeit orig RHD. 

Have to chime in here regarding the conversion ....

I consider the omission of this information as outright deceipt ....

The fact it has been converted begs the questions to be asked .... is it still structurally safe? Have the right parts been used? Who did the conversion? Someone reputable or Billy Bob's back shed ..... and most importantly .... Where the bloody hell is this car from? 

Does the seller have something to hide or do they just know that by not saying anything the chances are they will get a better price as the final bidder might just not know.

I for one don't want a LHD, or a converted one (personal preference) so this would be a deal breaker for me if I was looking to buy it ....

I believe the seller has "hidden" these details for personal gain and it is wrong on every level .....

Hidden the details to drive up interest/bids you think?

A converted car wouldn't bother me if it was done right, yet at it's current bid of $74k, regardless of it being converted, it still needs a paint job and other work I would imagine, so is it a wise purchase for future value? Only the buyer can decide that

Hidden the details to drive up interest/bids you think?

A converted car wouldn't bother me if it was done right, yet at it's current bid of $74k, regardless of it being converted, it still needs a paint job and other work I would imagine, so is it a wise purchase? Only the buyer can decide that

Absolutely hidden to drive up bids .... no doubt in my mind.

As for if it was done right .... who bloody knows! The details have been hidden to drive up the bids .... oh wait ... I said that already.

It's like advertising a pre '83 convertible and saying "It's in original condition" ....

Hello from London,

the last few days flew by and I have been unable to post as promised. Am now at Heathrow on the way to Milan - had trouble getting out of the Sofitel in central London as the gay pride parade was on.........

will post pictures of my other Porsche as promised when I get a chance, its on its way from Perth; I'm using CEVA - have used them before from Melbourne and Brisbane with no dramas. I will also introduce myself properly when I get back (that's 3 weeks form now though) on the right thread and post a bit of a background as well.

Been reading the various posts on this thread about value etc.......my 2 cents worth is it is sometimes hard to accept new prices for things you remember being much cheaper in the past. I refused to buy a Ferrari 308 a while back at $40K (admittedly a few years ago) then bought my first one at double that and my pristine QV at more than triple that because by the time I decided I wanted one prices had moved. ALFA 105 coupes have more than doubled as well for good ones - many die hard ALFA guys will tell you people are crazy buying them at these prices. Alfa Montreals have more than tripled as another example. It looks like Porsche prices (in particular 911's) have been the same. Are all these worth these new prices? My answer is yes if people are paying. As an enthusiast/collector I'd prefer cheaper entry prices but it is what it is.

Anyway my other comment is more an observation regarding my sale process for the Targa - some people go to a lot of trouble to email and tell you how wrong you are, how your car isn't worth the asking, how they knew the previous owner and he sold it for half the price asking now etc......... now I am car sales almost every day as a passion/hobby and some forums. I follow a few brands. I wouldn't dream about contacting a total stranger to tell them they are wrong/dreaming/lying etc I may contact a seller for more details or to express interest.....I would prefer to use my time enjoying my hobby .....I have been amazed this last week at human nature and reminded why I have preferred in the past to use dealers to move any car I want to sell (Cummins Classic Cars - Jeremy's a top bloke, Shannons or Frank) it can be stressful fielding these calls (I haven't actually fielded any, I'm getting them second hand but I do get the emails). Forum chatter is somewhat different I guess as it is a bunch of enthusiasts commenting generally (usually) and I can choose to avoid to listen if I so wish.

I wanted a original early Targa and I got one - then I realised I didn't want one. If I overpaid that's my problem and I'm ok with that. For now all is good. If the cars doesn't sell at some point I will restore it either all the way or tidy it up a little and enjoy it.

I was going to start chatting about 993 Turbos but I'm boarding soon - I remember CTS offering me on at $140k not that long ago......

Cheers

Emmanuel