NSW porsche club wakefield supersprint

Hi Guys and girls,

We had our round 4 supersprint on saturday at wakefield park in Goulburn. Perfect weather for the event and we had around 50 competitors. After some last minute checks and changes to our setup and some new tyres for the event we are getting close to the perfect setup. Considering the car is still a daily driver and weighs in a 1375 wet. 

The first session is a practice session, you are placed in speed groups so that you are with similar paced cars, this reduces the risk of collision. After our practice we were placed 4th outright. Behind Perini in his GT3RSR, Phelan in his 997 cup and Hibbard in his lightweight GT2. Behind us was a bunch of GT3, 5 to be precise. We got some great footage in the 2nd session were we were behind Phelan's 997 cup and Hibbards GT2. Our previous best was 1:04.1 and we beat it down to 1:03.4.

Here is the youtube Video. May want to change the quality setting to 1080 for better viewing

Regards

Sean

DSC_1687_zps6e2fa312.jpg

DSC_1724_zps93637d68.jpg

DSC_1702_zps6fed57a8.jpg

DSC_1700_zps835f1d2b.jpg

DSC_1713_zps7a03b459.jpg

DSC_1715_zps075b1e94.jpg

DSC_1717_zps126b440e.jpg

DSC_1716_zpsd706fd8a.jpg

DSC_1711_zps49aa1719.jpg

DSC_1714_zpsac9a280d.jpg

Nice one! That's a damn fast streetcar to be running 1:03's! Very much a credit to you blokes. Well done. The car as always looks fantastic too.What size are the Hosier's?

Thanks Martin,

The hoosier's are R100 and sizes are 265/630/17 all round (although the wheels are 17 by 9's and 17 by 10's). We would run larger but thats the largest Hoosier make in 17's. Maybe an upgrade in the future

Sean

Ahh I thought you had found the mythical Hoosier 18" tyre lol. I was going to try and buy this set off you when are done with them like the last set of Nitto's :P .

I think I read over on P.F in Pats thread that 944's like a square tyre set up. Seems fair with the great weight balance of them.

Wow, these are some strong times for Wakefield.

I have been thinking about joining the PCNSW SuperSprints series but from the looks of this I am way off the pace currently.

Would all these cars be running Type R rubber?

Obviously the cup cars and trailer cars are on slicks, but what about the guys in the older cars, are they also track only cars or are they driven to the track then driven home?

I have been thinking about joining the PCNSW SuperSprints series but from the looks of this I am way off the pace currently.

Obviously the cup cars and trailer cars are on slicks, but what about the guys in the older cars, are they also track only cars or are they driven to the track then driven home?

Wrong thinking, there is no such thing as way off the pace.  You will be seeded according to your times and will go out in a group that is posting similar times, faster drivers to the front so that the field 'stretches out' during your session and passing or being passed is theoretically unlikely.

The only pace that is relevant is yours, and you compete against yourself.

What he said !^

I recently joined PCNSW and I'll run mine in the supersprints next year.  Will be on rubbish road tyres too. It's all about bettering your own times, not winning the day.

And you'll have someone to run against at the same pace if you join up! (me lol)

Most of the field are on Rspec rubber, they drive there on them and then drive home. The top 9 places(besides Nik Prieston) were using slicks on the day. We set the car up at the workshop and drive down on street tyres and swap over to the slicks when we are at the circuit. Some of the guys have trailers to get their cars to the track. 

Syd is right on the money, there is no such thing as off the pace at the Porsche club events. Being a supersprint its all about your own times. In the overall scheme of things you are put into power to weight classes so that you are not competing against Cups or GT3, well unless you have that power to weight. Its a lot of fun.

Great stuff Sean,

What is Terry Waughs setup, is it S2/968 motor ?

Terry is using a 968 engine from memory he also has a Speed Force Racing supercharger setup as well. He has got that car very reliable, on the weekend he was saying he has done over 30 track days this year

Regards

Sean

Thanks for the comments, I do get that this is not racing but more about bettering yourself.

I was surprised about the gap in times that I have seen at Wakefield on cars setup with street tyres.

Should be fun to learn and push myself.

I know a lot of people advocate starting out trackdays on street rubber, and tyre technology is getting better each year. I think you might try it for one set of tyres and then make the graduation to R spec rubber. By going to something like the Toyo R888 you get a good transition into the world of R specs as they last longer than most others and give you good grip per breakaway ratio (I just invented that formula). Street tyres get hot and suffer from tread squirm pretty quickly.

Well worth trying though. You won't get the grin off your face all week and be seriously hanging out for the next day. Syd (et al) are correct. You don't get dumped into the middle of a screaming pack of race cars. You would go out with a fairly slow group to begin with and find your level pretty quickly. The fun of Club formats are competing against yourself, the clock and your mates without it leading to any fisticuffs...(unless you give yourself an uppercut?). It's great fun and you make friends and will climb up the ranks based on yours and the car's ability. As a hat wearing person used to say..."Do yourself a favour"

• 1 month later...

A bit of minimal shuffle steer won’t upset the balance of the car. There are also two different types of shuffling in my opinion. Those that literally shift the wheel through their hands from side to side which I term shuffling. Then there’s that type that pre selects the hand position for the upcoming corner, which is not so much a shuffle as a single move of the hand to a new position in anticipation of the lock needed to make the turn. Wakefield is also a bumpy track and that can affect how your hands work on the wheel I find. My preference is for the hands to stay in the one position but the last turn at W.P. is very tight and I’ve also found myself at times moving the hands on the wheel.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived