New Targa is stunning

cyberpunky

mmm Im on the fence about it, don't really like the original targas, I feel like its not going to be any different here for this new 991 targa

No splinters in my butt.

I'm not a fan of this one. This is a modern re-hash of a compromised design.

Rear access is ruined by the solid window and roll bar. The press release images seem to avoid any view behind the front seats. No back seat?

Also, I can't help but see hints of an 80's Corvette looking at the rear of this design.

http://autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20130611/CARNEWS01/130619961/AR/0/Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR-1.jpg

If you like open air motoring, get the convertible. A roof when you want it, sky when you dont. And you get 4 seats. The 991's soft top is the best I've seen.

Targa is just the marketing dept. playing the nostalgia card once too often.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Sw2VYhUar9c/UGsv8dMatcI/AAAAAAAAA2o/JU--9I8In2E/s1600/jumping-the-shark.jpg

I prefer this design over the glass versions of the Targa Porsche used in the 996, 997 and 993.  I don't get the all glass roof, all it does is let in more light = more heat, which means using more A/C to cool the car in when the sun is out.

A Targa should be the original design ie centre piece of room removes, creating a a semi- open top.

I don't think they are playing the nostalgia card, at the end of the day this was Porsches original design.. IMHO they should never have stopped making the original Targa form :)

There really is something for everyone in the 911 line up.  I like it personally!  But we all know how much I love the Targa concept, my fave looking 911.  So of course, I'll say all of the above. 

1496090_10152175268752668_1069561848_o.j

1529988_10152175268257668_1007157290_o.j

The car has back seats. Check out the world premier on youtube for a better view. The roof rests behind the rear seat above the engine. Very clever design. I like the idea of the kids being under cover when the roof is off as opposed to a convertible.

Oh dear ... this is smooth. I've got a 991 Coupe and when the time comes, if there's one on the floor I'd slam the finance providers cheque down and drive off! Very trick execution but I shudder at the cost of any issues post warranty.

To my eyes it's true to the original fixed rear window shape. Has a touch of the Interceptor as well.

I love it.

Its lovely, but contrary to one of the previous posts I think the 996/997 Targa is fantastic too.

My 997 roof had a small issue last year that involved about 30 hours of labour to repair....the new one will cost more to repair for sure. Gee, the insurance claim on the rear glass would be ma-hou-sive!

Oh, Amanda.....the glass roof on a 997 transmits very little heat, and with the shade deployed its hardly perceptible. i should know given the often extrreme heat of Singapore year round.

Yep thumbs up for me...that electric roof mechanism unfortunately looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but if it was going to play up I would be praying it played up whilst still under warranty.

Archived