RS prices on the rise again?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luckily.... I have a second to call upon, but yes, for that which is gained, something rather special is also lost. I know, shocking first world dilemma, but you can't have everything... Where would you put it?! ;)

Just revisiting this... I've been thinking about this lately, I just canned the order for Macan and got thinking to myself I could buy another GT3 for the money. :lol: part of me says buy a 997 so we don't have two of the same but on further research of 996RS the absolute numbers are quite low!

OfficIal numbers for 996 RS are :682 total, 678 in 2004 and 4 in 2003, only 140 total RHD cars are said to have been produced. 1 Blue car is said to be made out of 3 Red.

I take on board Simons comments regarding air vs water cooled appeal and agree they're not in the same league, but I do believe there is potential for the 6&7 GT3.

I am strongly considering another one in the next 12-24 months... Would love some constructive feedback

Edgy

Two things.

Why did you can the Macan (sounds like a Suzy Quattro song)? Was it because you worked out that its better to buy a used low mileage Cayenne for the same money and have a better car? Perhaps I'm looking for some validation here, because thats what I did and couldn't be happier.

Secondly, I think if you can hang on to a 996RS long enough it will come good. They weren't that well thought of at the time at the price asked, because of the old "why pay all that extra money for a plastic rear window and different stickers". Which was rubbish, as the differences were significant to those of us who care about such things. Low numbers, RS badge, logic says its money in the bank over time, albeit perhaps not at the levels seen now with the aircooled cars.

Was it because you worked out that its better to buy a used low mileage Cayenne for the same money and have a better car? Perhaps I'm looking for some validation here, because thats what I did and couldn't be happier.

This is my thinking - I agree. 

Simon,

1) Yes that's certainly a lot of it.. Although they are two different dynamics the Macan and Cayenne.

I am not the kind of buyer that's happy to just kiss away obscene amounts of money in depreciation, Macan would have been personal purchase so I can't write the depreciation off like if I business rego it.. Right now we prefer to invest our money than waste it so we will be looking at an IP shortly and we just decided to keep our Audi (basically new) I'm going to keep an eye out for a W460 G Wagen :lol:

So ultimately a dollars and sense decision

2) Will just watch the market... But I think I would be happy to land a 6 RS or 7 RS (either .1 or .2) ok by me.

I'm just thinking of when the right time to stike will be? I'm thinking when they hit the mid to high 100k mark.

Your thoughts Simon?

2) Will just watch the market... But I think I would be happy to land a 6 RS or 7 RS (either .1 or .2) ok by me.

I'm just thinking of when the right time to stike will be? I'm thinking when they hit the mid to high 100k mark.

If the 991 RS doesn't come with manual transmission they may not drop below 200k (997).

If the 991 RS doesn't come with manual transmission they may not drop below 200k (997).

I agree. It will be interesting to see what happens with the 991 RS as it will have quite an impact on the 997 version depending which way they go with the transmission.....

Simon,

1) Yes that's certainly a lot of it.. Although they are two different dynamics the Macan and Cayenne.

I am not the kind of buyer that's happy to just kiss away obscene amounts of money in depreciation, Macan would have been personal purchase so I can't write the depreciation off like if I business rego it.. Right now we prefer to invest our money than waste it so we will be looking at an IP shortly and we just decided to keep our Audi (basically new) I'm going to keep an eye out for a W460 G Wagen :lol:

I have tried to by a G Wagen without success (yet). Great fun, if you have a farm to test it on.

So ultimately a dollars and sense decision

Your thoughts Simon?

Hard to see either the 6 or 7RS getting cheap any time soon. If you want to track a manual 911 what are your choices? A 6GT3 or a 7GT3, so thats going to keep demand for GT3's up. The RS's will always be more a collector car versus the straight GT3, and higher priced accordingly.

Porsche dont have a manual gearbox that will bolt up to the current GT3 engine (the manualised PDK used in manual 991's wont cut it) and I cant see that they could justify reworking that PDK manual just for an RS version. Perhaps they could rework the sequential box used in the Cup cars, but again why on a short run model like an RS? Porsche know they have a problem with the current GT3 that is going to linger, but its great news for current owners of manual GT 911's.

Seems like the 991 RS has a lot riding on it... I am with you, I highly doubt any manual would be available! Irrespective of manual or PDK RS... I don't seem to feel that the 991 RS will affect 6&7 values much (if anything, help increase more likely)

The GT3 pedigre has been broken and the link between the race car and street car is no longer there... for now! I'm sure it is a hell of a car, but there is no denying the fact that motorsport division has not adopted the the 9A1 and PDK yet. 

I will continue to watch the market indeed. 

won't be manual, if you want a manual the cayman has it (no expectations riding on that car, so it can afford to be more basic)

I guess the big question is will the Cayman GT4 be a stick? 

This is an interesting write up 

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30117

I think the market here particularly for RS models is rather protected, because Porsche pricing here is ridiculous to begin with (a 2011 997.2 RS list price was $341k plus onroads, so 400k with a couple of options which most of them have). I haven't seen a 997.2 RS listed under $200k at any point in time, so people asking $250k now doesn't seem like a huge jump to me, seems more like they aren't going down in price at all rather than going up.

Compare that to the UK where they were around 115k pounds, which at the time was $180k Aussie, to get to $250k they've actually got to go up from the new purchase price and thats why it seems like things have gone bonkers over there.

Archived