RS prices on the rise again?

A certain friend with a keen eye on the market sent me this link over the weekend...

A 964 RS recently sold in Monaco (?) through RM Auctions for €268,800, thats pretty close to AU$395,000! :blink:

Pauly recently posted that a '73 911RS LW had sold for a whopping $1.4million!!! :o  :blink:  :o  :blink:

Simon asked what the magic formula of money chasing might be to pass on to his children...?

Could it simply be starting with an "R" and ending with a "S"?!  <_<  :mellow:

Rarity, which both of these cars have over even their immediate siblings is an obvious and strong factor, however when I consider how a car similar to mine might have reached double what I paid only a half dozen years ago, and when I bought mine, and it was twice the price I could have bought one for only 5 years before that, how can it possibly continue exponentially? In 15 years, a 964RS worth $2mil?!

I'm not holding my breath, but when I pitched the investment idea to the head of finance a few years ago, and taking into account the GFC, I didn't really figure on this! Two things are for sure though: the letters R and S carry significant investment currency; and, I think DEX's days of fanging around a slippery Yarra Valley at sparrow fart on an SMT might be coming to an end...  :(

"Igy...?"

"IGYYYY??! Forget what I said about you being as slow as a Boxster, you're still my fav!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you think the 997 GT3 RS will fall into that investment thesis?? or would you expect the 997 to fall to 150k before appreciating?

they seem to be holding their value fairly well

do you think the 997 GT3 RS will fall into that investment thesis?? or would you expect the 997 to fall to 150k before appreciating?

Good point, will the water cooled RS's appreciate as much as their air cooled cousins? 

Josh, i am watching this market very carefully. i think if the next RS is PDK then the 997 RS being the last manual will on the increase as far as demand is concerned. Time will tell I guess....

Depends who is buying I would think. And if the RS was purchased non matching numbers it would have had a correspondingly adjusted price at that time. Surely nobody would be ditching an engine from an RS in 2014?

Those are some serious numbers in terms of value growth.

I'd be locking that in secure storage Kerry and giving the key to the Minister of Finance.

Did you get Igy's alternator problem sorted!!!!

Josh, i am watching this market very carefully. i think if the next RS is PDK then the 997 RS being the last manual will on the increase as far as demand is concerned. Time will tell I guess....

i just need an excuse to buy one, this could be the perfect "investment" arguement..

The 7-3 RS market is crazy in the US right now.. (only in america) so it is a bit hard to say?

This aussie delivery info might help you?

997%20GT3%20delivery%20stats.gif

I would say any of the 7.2 RS would be sound buying, 3.8L Mezger + wide body! wide body historically = $$$$ :lol:  I'm not sure on the 4.0 RS delivery numbers, I've heard of about 2 4.0's in Aus. 

Lower delivery numbers on 7.1 RS but I don't know that that translates to collector appeal? 

i just need an excuse to buy one, this could be the perfect "investment" arguement..

If I was looking to buy in the current market, I'd be tracking a 996 RS down above all water-cooled 

If I was looking to buy in the current market, I'd be tracking a 996 RS down above all water-cooled 

White with red graphics went for sale at Duttons not too long ago.

It only appeared on their website for less than a week.

It looked the biz to me.

Those are some serious numbers in terms of value growth.

I'd be locking that in secure storage Kerry and giving the key to the Minister of Finance.

Did you get Igy's alternator problem sorted!!!!

Don't have to worry T, he's now locked up safe n sound! :)

"Alt on IGY"... Has to wait for end-of-semester break before I can dedicate the time... :(

The 7-3 RS market is crazy in the US right now.. (only in america) so it is a bit hard to say?

This aussie delivery info might help you?

997%20GT3%20delivery%20stats.gif

I would say any of the 7.2 RS would be sound buying, 3.8L Mezger + wide body! wide body historically = $$$$ :lol:  I'm not sure on the 4.0 RS delivery numbers, I've heard of about 2 4.0's in Aus. 

Lower delivery numbers on 7.1 RS but I don't know that that translates to collector appeal? 

Would you look at that bland selection of colours in the .2s - hopefully the 'paint to sample' ones are all interesting :)

There were 6 Australian delivered 4.0 RS models supposedly, one of them came up a few months back with a sequential conversion along with a bunch of other modifications and was asking more than the original list price. It didn't last long either.

Would you look at that bland selection of colours in the .2s - hopefully the 'paint to sample' ones are all interesting :)

There were 6 Australian delivered 4.0 RS models supposedly, one of them came up a few months back with a sequential conversion along with a bunch of other modifications and was asking more than the original list price. It didn't last long either.

I believe the 4.0 that was recently up was the one at PCSS! It didn't last long you are right!

I wouldn't call them bland... timeless yes!

There is a riviera blue 7.2 up right now... Looks amazing in that colour

Can I ask, why a 996 over a 997? Just curious as to your theory...

With regard to water cooled, the 6 RS is as about as raw as they get, the true bridge between cup car and street car. There is only 17 Australian delivered 6 RS, all Carrara white to my knowledge. So by far the rarest water cooled RS! Save for the 4.0 which, IMO is in another league!

996 gt3s probably aren't going to get much cheaper than they are now...

This is also true ^^ I think we're seeing the bottom of the barrel now for 6 GT3 let alone RS... I think last RS was about $160-180k not far behind 7 RS money

By the way I think they look neat with the blue

Porsche_911_GT3_RS_(996)_2003_white-blue

Having once owned Marks 964RS and having seen it go mad in value since I sold it for $10,000 more than I had paid (genius not!), I think that the key is simply a mixture of rarity and desirability.

There are very few 964RS's, and there are very few 1973 RS's in Australia, and their value has gone crazy here and overseas. The oddity is the 993RS which although worth having and rare, hasn't really jumped like the 964RS so far. Having had both, I'd rather have the 964RS, even though its slower, older, and smaller, and it seems I'm not the only one to feel this way.

I dont believe that any of the water cooled GT cars can do what a 964RS has done, as they aren't as rare, nor as highly regarded. Even if they become more highly regarded, they wont be rare enough to really power along. Im happy to be proven wrong, and might look like a twat in a few years, but Im hedging my bets with the GT2. 

The thing about the air cooled cars is that they are so easy to own, once you have them right. They dont deteriorate, you dont need to keep throwing tyres at them, and they have an intrinsic quality of manufacture that the water cooled cars dont have. I love my GT2 as a car to drive, but its no old fashioned Porsche in terms of the quality of its fittings. My 993 Turbo knocks it into a cocked hat in terms of construction quality.

Any air cooled 911 collector has done very well in recent times, those that own rare models even better. I hope that doesnt mean they stop being driven, as that would be such a shame. Keep driving it, Kerry, dont fall for the old lock-it-up theory. Its only a car and if you break it you can fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just revisiting this... I've been thinking about this lately, I just canned the order for Macan and got thinking to myself I could buy another GT3 for the money. :lol: part of me says buy a 997 so we don't have two of the same but on further research of 996RS the absolute numbers are quite low!

OfficIal numbers for 996 RS are :682 total, 678 in 2004 and 4 in 2003, only 140 total RHD cars are said to have been produced. 1 Blue car is said to be made out of 3 Red.

I take on board Simons comments regarding air vs water cooled appeal and agree they're not in the same league, but I do believe there is potential for the 6&7 GT3.

I am strongly considering another one in the next 12-24 months... Would love some constructive feedback

the logic is sound, but i'd say the Porsche crowd will be buying GT3RS 997's over 996's due to the front headlights

I get the feeling that based on visual appeal, you're spot on JJ.

Driving appeal would be the draw card on the 6, but none of us have a crystal ball to say what the collector will want in 10 years time? It could be the car with better green credentials for all we know! :lol:

Just revisiting this... I've been thinking about this lately, I just canned the order for Macan and got thinking to myself I could buy another GT3 for the money. :lol: part of me says buy a 997 so we don't have two of the same but on further research of 996RS the absolute numbers are quite low!

OfficIal numbers for 996 RS are :682 total, 678 in 2004 and 4 in 2003, only 140 total RHD cars are said to have been produced. 1 Blue car is said to be made out of 3 Red.

I take on board Simons comments regarding air vs water cooled appeal and agree they're not in the same league, but I do believe there is potential for the 6&7 GT3.

I am strongly considering another one in the next 12-24 months... Would love some constructive feedback

The 997 will always be more popular than the 996, but the GTx and Turbo cars will be the only collectible 996 cars. If you buy well now I think you'll keep her depreciation wolves at bay.

As for green cars - no passion there, new tech = values plummeting.

I have adapted the info from a post on the Early911 board.   I have been enjoying some reading on the RS, and have found the price increase staggering…..

This particular car is 9113601108 and is available from Sloan cars

July 2007 when it was white and blue and for sale for $189,900

October 2007 it was for sale at $200,000 .
June 2010 it was for sale at $197,500, 
March 2013 it was redone in India red like it is now and sold for $506,000

JUNE 2014……….time will tell

So in the 6 years to March 2013, it had appreciated 267%, although did not really move at all until it was repainted in resale red (which is apparently the original colour).

So, with Kerry, $3mil in 15 years ?

Archived