My first track day - can't wait

Black Pearl

Having taken possession of my 3.2 only a few months ago, I thought it was time to try my luck on a track and have signed up to participate in the PCV Winton track day on the 7th June in the Entree' class.

Is there any one else on the list planning to attend? Would be great to touch base on the day.

As it is my first time in such an event I'd welcome any advice or tips form those more experienced. 

Cheers Rob

What James said, just know if you lift in the corner your in the fence. The head needs to remain in charge, tough it out & you'll go round the corner ( goes against all the natural instincts) but that's what driver training is all about. Have a blast, enjoy your day.

No doubt others have better and more experienced suggesstions, but here is my checklist:

Car

1) check all your oil and fluids, change them if they haven't been changed for a while. I would think about bringing oil to the track as well ( you never know) your brakes will get a good workover so fresh brake fluid is not a bad idea before theday either.

2) check tyre temperature, everyone has different views on this. I reckon start with whatever your placard says and think about adding 2 psi. The main thing is making sure you have the same psi left to right.

3) remove every loose article from within the cabin of your car, lock your glovebox if it locks. You don't want things flying around.

4) remove your floor mats, they can slide and jam under your pedals

5) check the tightness of your wheel nuts, preferably with a torque wrench set to correct setting.

6) look all over your car foranything loose, flapping or God forbid leaking.

Driver

1) ankle to wrist clothing made of natural fibres

2) comfortable close fitting sneakers, i always take a spare set. Nothing worse then if your feet get wet for whatever reason and you have to drive in wet shoes. If you like track days invest in some driving shoes and gloves.

3) sunscreen, hat, jacket

4) download Harry's lap timer so you can track your progress

5) practice paying massive attention to your mirrors, on a track day you need to be ontinually watching your mirrors, you will be surprised how quickly that spec in the backgroundwill be on you

6) cheap helmets are for cheap heads, get the best helmet you think your head is worth. Make sure your helmet has a compliance sticker on the outside. DO NOT PEEL THIS as many tracks will not let you run.

On the day

1) don't be a knob

2) don't be a knob

3) don't be a knob

4) if you can walk the track, if it's good enough for Jackie Stewart it's good enough for us.

5) take your time, you have all day to learn so better to start slow and work your way up.

6) as you get confident try to only focus on improving your performance in one or two parts ofthe circuit. This way you can work out what works and add it to your memory bank. No point doing everything different you wont know what has made you slower and faster.

7) be super careful after lunch. People can be cocky and make mistakes, I dont't know why this is but be careful in this session :)

8) have fun, talk to people, learn from more experienced drivers and see rules 1,2 & 3

Rob, good one you, you'll have a great day. If they give you an experienced club driver to go with you, they'll probably drive your car for you and show you what it can do, then put you in the seat and give you support........excellent fun.....and yep the guys are right, never lift !!

Enjoy,

I'll be up there for a track day on the Sunday (non PCV) - good to touch base afterwards and compare. I've never driven Winton before and looking forward to it as well. 

All the best, have fun!

Hi Rob, +1to the above.

I would look at getting RACV total care, Winton is a long way from home and they will pick you up and tow if something goes wrong. Just have get the car out onto the road. This is from one who has experienced a break down at a PCV track day.

I'll be up there for a track day on the Sunday (non PCV) - good to touch base afterwards and compare. I've never driven Winton before and looking forward to it as well. 

All the best, have fun!

Definitely. I'll only be there for the day so will drop you a note on Monday.

Cheers

I have done a lot of track days in the past. My advice (for what 'free' advice is worth) is :

(1) 9-4 is a very long day. No trophies given out at 9.30am. Pace yourself and work up the speed. Learn the track before you go for pace, you will get a lot of track time to build pace over the day. I always remember a guy with a garage queen that stuffed it into the wall on fourth corner of the day, heartbreaking. Drive at your own pace and you should be able to do a year of track days without ever leaving the track. Leaving the track twice in one day = time to spend some time in the room of mirrors as you are overdriving.

(2) stick to yourself when you get there. Inane banter and 'what have you got' conversations do nothing for your concentration and useless advice three minutes from going out is not what you need. Mix at lunchtime when you have got into your rythem.

(3) try to stay till the end of the day. Most of the show ponies will go home at 2pm. Nothing better than having the track to yourself at the end of the day, you can try some different lines and just relax and enjoy.

(4) sounds self explanatory but drink water regularly and stay hydrated, eat at lunchtime. You will need to concentrate and dehydration will be your enemy. You will be as excited as a dog with two d**ks so don't forget to do the basics to keep your mental acuity.

(5) people rave about the great porsche breaks. Don't fool yourself, they're not that good on a standard car. They have good stopping power but will start to fade. When they go spongy come in, no point walling it to do two more laps.

(6) don't feel obliged to flog the revs, use the torque of the 3.2, a great engine. You will be 95% as fast changing up at mid / high fives as you will bouncing off the limiter.

(7) bottom line is at some stage you will have to learn apexes. Human nature is you want to get to the apex early to stay safe. However early apex = skimming off the apex like a stone skimming off water and trouble on the exit. I wasted years turning in too early and having to make several corrections on the steering and speed. Break first firmly in a straight line but not as aggressively as you think (you are not senna trying to outbreak Prost into rascass) Don't turn in too early, go a metre or two deeper than your mind says is the turn in point, ease off the brakes as soon as the car starts washing off speed and the car will unload on the suspension and steer nicely to the apex, you will be surprised how much difference this one technique will make. Then on the gas from the apex

(8) remember to have fun! There will always be some one in life funnier, slimmer, smarter, faster so remember it is not a competition, just have a great time driving one of the worlds great sports cars.

These guys are good Porsche guys and have some great common sense track day advice:

http://www.autothority.co.nz/trackdays.shtml

Most importantly let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Learning today about the joys of Porsche ownership......

my first post-purchase sunk costs in the form of new brake pads, brake fluid and misc stuff in readiness for Winton on Saturday. I told my wife it was just going to get a "safety check"....now how do I explain the bill????   

:unsure:

And I still need to buy a helmet.....

How strict is scrutineering?

do you need stuff like:

1) Metal valve caps

2) secondary throttle spring

3) fire extingusher?

My advice for driving is to take it easy, and take a rest, and consider stopping when you are tired as the time I've gone off have been late session when I was too tired.

Also you'll be surprised how tired you will be after a few laps, it's physically demanding stuff.

And don't get all red mist and chase the car in front.

:-)

he can spin out at any moment and you'll have to avoid him

Reading the info I think the only thing I need is a helmet. I think they recognise that Entree drivers aren't likely to push the limits very far before ending up off the track.....therefore fire extinguishers are not required and I haven't seen reference to metal caps or throttle whatsits.

I picked up my car yesterday from Weissach having has fluids replaced and brake pads changed over.....

Despite Chris not doing anything else mechanical, the car seemed a more sporty both in sound and feel afterwards.  :huh:  Perhaps that could just be some internal attribution bias reconciling the bill. lol

Can't wait.

How strict is scrutineering?

do you need stuff like:

1) Metal valve caps

2) secondary throttle spring

3) fire extingusher?

My advice for driving is to take it easy, and take a rest, and consider stopping when you are tired as the time I've gone off have been late session when I was too tired.

Also you'll be surprised how tired you will be after a few laps, it's physically demanding stuff.

And don't get all red mist and chase the car in front.

he can spin out at any moment and you'll have to avoid him

Learning today about the joys of Porsche ownership......

my first post-purchase sunk costs in the form of new brake pads, brake fluid and misc stuff in readiness for Winton on Saturday. I told my wife it was just going to get a "safety check"....now how do I explain the bill????

:unsure:

And I still need to buy a helmet.....

"but love, can you really put a price on safety?"......works for me

Just call in to local tyre shop and pickup metal valve caps - should get them for nothing if you intend to do do business with them (or maybe from Chris).

Enjoy !

If you need to borrow a helmet to keep costs down ( and the missus happy) let me know.

I have a couple of Medium open face (maybe a large too?) or a full face you could loan, if it helps.

Pick up and return is south suburbs though...

If you need to borrow a helmet to keep costs down ( and the missus happy) let me know.

I have a couple of Medium open face (maybe a large too?) or a full face you could loan, if it helps.

Pick up and return is south suburbs though...

Hi Trevor

Thanks so much for the offer. That's very kind of you. I managed to borrow one from a guy at work.... Will look to get a bell open face as it seems to the right however I left it too late to order online for this Saturday.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived