911 Carrera Sleeper Hot rod

Hi Everyone

Had been looking for a suitable 911 sc or 3.2 for a 4ish years. Always kept my eye on what was for sale. There where quiet a few around last year. Not so much this year. 

Found it hard to find a good one in the right colour and at the right price. I was after a good one but didn't want to pay heaps for a really good original one only to modify it a bit. 

Also can't understand the obsession with Australian delivered cars? Were they not all built in the same place...

I looked at and drove quite a few. Most were in poor condition, had not been taken care of and needed lots of cash spent just to get them back to okay condition.

So I took a year off looking.

Started back again at the start of this year and found the right one.

The bloke I bought it off had had it for 15 years and done 15000kms. Only has 105000kms on the odo.

I saw the car on the web, called him, had it checked out and was on a plane to WA a couple of days later. 

7 days later the car turned up in Melbourne

Its a 1984 911 Carrera 

Has some interesting mods too.

Got a 964 3.6 engine. The extra go it pretty awesome.

964 wing. Which I kinda like.

7 and 8 fuchs

993 stereo

Just dropped it off today at Weltermiester to start its transformation into a street/track car.

Getting put in

23/31 torsion bars

revalved bilsteins

new bushes everywhere

de cambered ball joints

turbo tie rods

Strut bar

930 front brakes

WEVO shifter

Steve wong chip

lower it a bit 

Next after my wallet has recovered

Velo front seats, retrim in leather at some stage

Half cage and belts

New head liner

New carpet 

Re do interior vinyl.

Ahh

That will about do it!

post-1804-0-95549500-1401861366_thumb.jp

post-1804-0-93914000-1401861380_thumb.jp

post-1804-0-84246700-1401861398_thumb.jp

Looks like a nice car in a fantastic colour. Also a nice list of mods you have planned. My only advice is on the seats. Try and check them on the car before you lay down any cash. I was not very happy with the 2 sets of Sparco and one Velo seat I had in my old 911. As the peddles swing to the floor I found they just didn't feel that great.

hi mate, gotta love the 3.6's..

if i could make two suggestions (without knowing what you have on the car) it would be to ensure that you have two fender coolers as the 3.6 makes a bit more heat than the smaller engines ;)

and to save the steve wong chip til you've done the exhaust (it affects what chip you order), and ensure it comes with the light flywheel software (you'll want a lightened flywheel, a must have!).

Congratulations, nice clean looking car. Great colour and the 964 wing doesn't look out of place.

hi mate, gotta love the 3.6's..

if i could make two suggestions (without knowing what you have on the car) it would be to ensure that you have two fender coolers as the 3.6 makes a bit more heat than the smaller engines ;)

and to save the steve wong chip til you've done the exhaust (it affects what chip you order), and ensure it comes with the light flywheel software (you'll want a lightened flywheel, a must have!).

^^^what he said

Uncle what do you mean that the seats didn't feel right with the pedals? Was it the cushion that dug in to your leg?

Forgot to mention the exhaust. It came with modified 964 exchangers. One of the outlets had been flipped over so both outlets pointed out. Was connected to 2 tin can looking mufflers into... Wait for it. A boxster muffler!

It sounded and looked terrible and must have weighed a ton. Anyways I took that off and got a dual in and out put on and straight through pipes put through the tin cans. Now if sounds good, is lighter, more mid range torque.

Yep clutch monkey I did yet the lightweight fly wheel fix. Have had that problem a few times already. Was my main reason for getting the chip. The extra go is a bonus!

Will check if it has 2 coolers. The car seems to run cool.

I tell you I have had a few fast cars. But this thing for a 30 year old car is bloody amazing. I can't believe just how well it drives even with soggy suspension.

Now I get what all the fuss is about.

Getting back into my daily after driving the 911 I feel like I am one step away from what is going on. Like the car is doing a bit of the driving!

Oh yeah i don't know if it's a import. It has just a km/ph speedo and has a ROW vin. I have emailed porsche to find out.

Looks like it may have been a US car from the front indicators.

Sounds like a lot of fun - congratulations on the purchase! 

• 1 month later...

Could you find a bigger "No Parking " sign to park next to to take the photos???? :-)

I am guessing the garage doors belong to the owner....

Congrats on the purchase James, looks like a nice car and a great project.

Ha yeah pretty big no parking sign. Its actually CUB thats opposite work. Funnily enough they let us park there. I think they towies down the road ask them ages ago. Now its a free for all. 

Found out the car started out life in Japan in LHD. I asked the guy I bought it off if it had been converted and he said no. But I knew it had. Its got no floor boards, the carpet isn't stuck down, door cards are rs type and you can see where the door mirror on the left side has been covered up. 

Wouldn't  have stopped me buying it. It got 8/10 paint, no rust, no oil leaks, good gearbox and engine.  I basically paid for the 3.6 conversion and got the car for free. 

I would really like someone Japanese to explain this to me someday.

LHD is "Euro" . Euro and style go hand in hand eh? Mind you USA and other countries are LHD ...

Here's some other info I got when researching my EuroJap911

Brand new is good, but used is not... In Japan, there is a serious stigma attached to using or acquiring anything "used". Originating from ancient beliefs, it still affects all commodities, such as home appliances, automobiles, even houses.

For instance, purchasing a new home in Japan will invariably results in its value shrinking by about 30% within the first 5 years. Value will be considered equivalent to zero within 15 to 20 years.

Even with the current economic slow down and a newly acquired Japanese taste for bargains, the large majority of vehicles is still acquired new from a dealer, by trading in the current one (usually at shaken renewal time, after 3, 5, 7 or 9 years).

Private car sales are non existent in Japan, because technically impossible. From one owner to the next, the vehicle MUST pass through the hands of an authorised dealer for ownership transfer. NOTE: Genuine Service Books are almost never available with Japanese imports as practically no one in Japan bothers writing in them nor have use for them. This is because maintenance is always done by the dealer and private sales do not exist. Often the owner will dispose of anything that can trace the car back to him or her so he/she is not bombarded with more junk mail or telesales." 

Thus tracking past history is next to impossible. Some of us are trying to penetrate the pentagon over this.

Uncle what do you mean that the seats didn't feel right with the pedals? Was it the cushion that dug in to your leg?

Yep. Might be because I have legs like T-rax arms but they just felt rubbish to me.

your also right about one thing, not all 911s are worth the money people are asking. some are though, seen a fully rebuilt nut bolt resto for mid 40s. i think thats good buying, not some washed out clunker for 35k

raafredel in I general agree with you but in most cases my interpretation of a nut and bolt restoration is not like alot of sellers I have found a lot of people misrepresent their cars when selling and owners and buyers have very different perceptions on things......

• 2 months later...

Archived