UK Turbo or Aus original.

I am selling my 996 and thinking about a 930 turbo.

Weekend car only.

There are a few on the market and most seem to be UK IMPORT.

$65-70K.

Do you think I should wait for a Aus. delivery or does it not matter with a classic?

Would an Aus. delivery cost {much} extra?

True........................but there is no denying the AUS delivered examples will always fetch more $$ majority of the market prefer them (myself included) Justified or not the market speaks. 

I don't care about cars not being aust delivered, well for that matter I also don't care about RHD but, UK cars even newer ones need to be very very well inspected for rust. Gal body or not the island of rust will take it's toll.  

I'm guessing you are talking about the dark Blue Vic 930 and the Minerva Blue SA car. The darker car would prolly be a safe'ish bet as it's been here for quite a while and should be ok if you do a very detailed check of the car as it has had paint.

The light Blue car should have flashing red lights of warning going in your head. Fresh to Australia and fresh paint has not had aust rego before. I’m not saying it’s a bad car BUT it needs to be treated with A LOT of caution. Underneath that wonderful period correct blue paint ye’oldie monsters could lurk.

You also need to consider the sellers motivations. If you had a car that close to done why would you sell it? While I don’t want to be judgmental look at the background in the photo’s. They say a lot about the person selling the car.  

I am selling my 996 and thinking about a 930 turbo.

Weekend car only.

There are a few on the market and most seem to be UK IMPORT.

$65-70K.

Do you think I should wait for a Aus. delivery or does it not matter with a classic?

Would an Aus. delivery cost {much} extra?

+1 to what has been said above. I'd expect you would be paying an extra 10-20k premium for a fair-excellent condition car over an imported car. 

Depends on how much of it's life it spend in the UK as they salt the roads in winter = rust

Everything else beign equal, I'd take a UK RHD over a converted US LHD anyday 

Would want detailed pix of the underside, exhaust and suspension and bolts. What you see is the tip of the iceberg , rust-wise. And beware new underseal! That salt is a killer. If salt free , then value should be not much different , but a salt-free UK 911 must be collectible in itself.

there can also be a huge difference between a good conversion (where they change the panel that ends half way under the fuel tank) and a bad conversion (where the bracing for the steering column is super flimsy) - something to watch for if you're considering a conversion

It's possible to find a UK car that was dry-weather driven and stored for the winter, that eventually found it's way to Oz.

It's not likely though.

When I lived in London there was a very nice e-type that got left out in the weather all day, every day.  There just are not enough garages to go around.  The owner used to sometimes cover it with a car cover but that just doesn't help at all.  The issue is that they get wet, and for half the year it's not warm enough for them to dry out properly.  So the water sits in all the nooks and crannies and just waits for the galvanising to give up.

If the PO lived in a country area with a heated wooden barn and only drove it on the 15 sunny days a year, you're golden.  In fact it will even better than an Oz car due to less UV damage.

You have to ask yourself though....what are the chances of me finding one of those for sale in Oz car sales?

If the car is good I have no issue with the Oz del vs Import argument.  People just use 'Oz Delivered' as a way of saying 'not a dodgy import'.   It's still possible to buy a dodgy Oz delivered car, and it's possible to buy a clean, unmolested import.  Buy on the car, not the delivery dealer.

I have a UK import, i don't think it lived much of its life in the UK though. had a small amount of spots where rocks would hit at the bottom of the wheel guards. fixed quite easily. This probably was because it was neglected by a PO before my PO bought it (i saw pics)

the bottom line is, the UK imports are not bad. Everything is the same, except their interior choices are different, materials ect. and you'll probably get the leaded version with no cats but it'll have aftermarket cars welded on to pass in australia. 

Nothing wrong with an import but absolutely +1 on the checking for rust on uk imports. You can not spend enought money on PPI for a UK car. You can find ok uk cars, but buyer beware. IMHO either japan or Singapore are better options. I had a ex japan 964 which was rust free, super low km, perfect condition and zero issues over 3 years.

Your bigger issue is to find a good 930 turbo. Do the math. Cars are 25-35 years old. They were the first accessable 300 bhp supercar normal blokes could access. Average of 6-8 owners, average of twenty 'gee wiz bob, I always wanted to drive a Porsche Turbo, how hard does it go?'s per year. Equals.... Not all 930s will be still be minters.

I followed the market for a while. The good cars get snapped up in under a week. Others stay around for over a year for many reasons. And when they go boom, it will be eye wateringly expensive.

Thought one:

If you are a relaxed easy going guy, can afford $90k for an good car plus $30k for dealing to unforeseen issues as they arise, then absolutely go for it. This is one of the few chances for an average guy to become a god, this is a seventies super car that sits at the table with a Magnum PI Ferrari 308, a Lamborghini muira or a masserati bora. It will run rings around them for performance and ownership costs. They are Steve McQueen cool IMHO. At a cafe no one will want to talk to the 991 owner when you pull up !

Thought two ( and where I ultimately landed)

I reckon that 300bhp is the magic number for a street car, no too little not too much. But think about the style of driving you like, what type of roads, tight & twisty vs. open and winding. This is a very special car with a very special power delivery (think advanced written notice turbo lag and sledge hammer delivery). This is not a car to take liberties with and the ambition / talent equation is a potentially expensive mistress. As much as I idolised the idea of a 930, I just couldn't see me nailing it regularly and confidently on the tight twisty stuff I like.

There are no wrong answers. I would just make sure it's the car you want before shelling out the big bucks. If you get one then RESPEK !

I bought a converted 930 (germany) about 10 months ago. It had a known history going back a couple of decades+.

I Paid premium $$$ for a good car. I'd expect you would pay $100k+ for a well sorted Australian delivered. I was looking for a car I could drive then shit outta when I felt like it and not that fussed about the resale or having an Oz delivered status. Lets put it like this, your not thinking about how your car is or isn't Australian Delivered when your taking a sweeper at 150... are you?

I looked at and drove about three before I made the purchase on the fourth. This took me about 2 years because most weren't really worth looking at (including oz delivered).

If you haven't already, you must go and drive a couple if you can. I don't find mine difficult to drive, however they do have limitations especially on a long arc with serious turbo lag. You can easily have the car driving you :wacko:

I only drive it once every couple of weeks, normally the hills around Perth early Sunday mornings.

They are awesome cars especially if you have a few extra HP :D

They are a waste around the city to be honest, you wont get too far out of second gear.

Don't rush into it, get a PPI and don't break the bank (you will need savings for the future)

Scott.

post-1370-0-69396100-1404997493_thumb.jp

I bought a converted 930 (germany) about 10 months ago. It had a known history going back a couple of decades+.

I Paid premium $$$ for a good car. I'd expect you would pay $100k+ for a well sorted Australian delivered. I was looking for a car I could drive then shit outta when I felt like it and not that fussed about the resale or having an Oz delivered status. Lets put it like this, your not thinking about how your car is or isn't Australian Delivered when your taking a sweeper at 150... are you?

I looked at and drove about three before I made the purchase on the fourth. This took me about 2 years because most weren't really worth looking at (including oz delivered).

If you haven't already, you must go and drive a couple if you can. I don't find mine difficult to drive, however they do have limitations especially on a long arc with serious turbo lag. You can easily have the car driving you :wacko:

I only drive it once every couple of weeks, normally the hills around Perth early Sunday mornings.

They are awesome cars especially if you have a few extra HP :D

They are a waste around the city to be honest, you wont get too far out of second gear.

Don't rush into it, get a PPI and don't break the bank (you will need savings for the future)

Scott.

Great post!!

That's one awesome 930 you have Scott ;)

I just don't buy the whole 930s are no good in the twisty stuff thing.

Good tyres and a specific driving style and they are still the King of the air cooled Porsches.

Unfortunately, not many around in the condition or loved as much as Scotts Silver beast. :)

That's one awesome 930 you have Scott ;)

I just don't buy the whole 930s are no good in the twisty stuff thing.

Good tyres and a specific driving style and they are still the King of the air cooled Porsches.

Unfortunately, not many around in the condition or loved as much as Scotts Silver beast. :)

Ahem, Vas. I think you'll find that the 993 Turbo is regarded as the King of the air cooled Porsche world.

Nothing wrong with its older brother, mind. Great cars, with characteristics never to be repeated.

Turbo Porsches have been thrilling and scaring drivers in equal doses for years, and once you've had one you're usually hooked as you know.

Seen some horrors in my time, but I've also noticed that a lot of these cars had wealthy owners who cherished them, and they reflect the open cheque book approach. You just have to find one.

Im still struggling with the decision of the previous owner of mine, who took an Australian delivered 1976 930 Turbo in excellent condition, stripped it completely, colour changed it, and turned it into a Carrera RS 3.0 at huge expense. As much as its a great car now, its a pity it didn't make it through unaltered as it was such a peach.

Archived