The Simonk 996 - some personal touches

At WOT it's pretty loud still (still made my boy cry the bloody sook) but not up there with the Dansk. There is zero drone which is perfect for the tiptronic but the sound is more exhaust than engine as opposed to the stock mufflers which are inaudible most of the time.

Next time you play with the exhaust on any car when he is around you need to record it. Whenever I mention to someone about changing my exhaust I always reference your experiments with your son.  :lol:  :D

Really glad to hear it doesn't drone. It's been my biggest concern when looking at exhausts. I think I'll be following suit next year. Maybe by that time we will have enough cars with Fister exhausts to form a Fister orchestra  ;)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Simon, I noticed your sub box in the back there.  You should be able to get a 6" subwoofer inside to sounds like the 12" you have now with the correct box. Especially having a open area. 

I've actually made this type of box for 2x 6.5" mid bass and it sounds unreal. 

Here a little film I shot yesterday afternoon while my little man had a nap in the back seat.

Awesome video Simon! Wish I could find a great looking empty industrial area like that near me. What rig did you use for the tracking shots? Audio capture in camera? Keep em coming.

One Go Pro and one DSLR which I used to shoot the stuff at home. The panning shots were done on a tripod on a skateboard on some masonite. A little crued but it worked pretty well. Filming involved lots and lots of U-turns :). There's a Vic Roads near by so I terrorised plenty of loopy learners.

Hey Simon, I noticed your sub box in the back there.  You should be able to get a 6" subwoofer inside to sounds like the 12" you have now with the correct box. Especially having a open area. 

I've actually made this type of box for 2x 6.5" mid bass and it sounds unreal. 

Interesting Pauly. With you and Bruce using mid bass speakers for bass, I'm going to have to investigate further. I have a pair of Alpine Type X 6.5" sitting in the garage. What frequency cutoff are you running for them? A box like that would fit perfectly on the shelf.

I have a 10" driver in my car. And its plenty! I actually made a custom box to fit in the spare wheel well. Or i would have gone the 6" or even twin 6" route but i loose space and didn't want that. 

the twin 6" i have is just something i was toying with and very impressed. Using cheap speakers too.

The type X should be at in the 35-40Hz range. Whats the maximum width of your current space? preferable against the rear of the seat. I'll see if i can calculate something. 

Awesome video Simon! Wish I could find a great looking empty industrial area like that near me. What rig did you use for the tracking shots? Audio capture in camera? Keep em coming.

Sorry Flatsix, missed your question about audio. It was all captured by the gopro. For the on-car shots I stuck the camera to the rear bumper and drove around to record the sound. I then detached it from the clip and pasted it where appropriate. I'd like to eventually get a better quality mic as the sound quality from the gopro is very average.

Here's a cheap and easy way to make your 996 or 997 louder. By blocking off the air box resonator, you get a louder induction noise at WOT. Mostly noticeable above 4,000rpm. I'd be interested to know if anyone with standard mufflers has tried this. The induction noise on mine is competing with the Fisters but it has made it quite a bit louder. I've used a cap off a Castrol oil container. It fits snuggly into the hole on top of the airbox and has a lip to stop it slipping all the way in. Be sure to remove the plastic seal in the lid before re-attaching the intake pipe. If anyone is looking for further info on this mod, Google "996 airbox mod" or "996 orange cap mod" I read heaps of different info and didn't find anything that said it could cause issues. 

15491900015_04f57e172c_z.jpgIMG_3814 by Simonk76, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The wife thought it would be cool to take the camera over to Carlton and check out some of the street art. She was right :)

15621796634_e198a0012f_c.jpgpIMG_3993 (1280x853) by Simonk76, on Flickr

16058373947_0328af17f8_c.jpgpIMG_4003 (1280x853) by Simonk76, on Flickr

16243382652_86855108d7_c.jpgpIMG_4028 (1280x853) by Simonk76, on Flickr

15624338873_f74852db63_c.jpgpIMG_4032 (1280x853) by Simonk76, on Flickr

16244216435_bb82f10959_c.jpgpIMG_4037 (1280x853) by Simonk76, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with where the car is at and have no further plans for it.

Pauly, we cruised down Johnston St between Hoddle and Nicholson. They're down the side streets on the corner of Johnston. There's more down the side streets. Just take a drive down some random streets in that area and you don't know what you'll find. I can't remember where the train was, maybe Landsdowne St. The Porsche is at the back of PCM in the lane way between Byron and Rokeby St. There's some sort of bar for people with beards at the Rokeby St end so we could only access it from the Byron St end yesterday.

• 3 months later...

Archived