The Simonk 996 - some personal touches

Did you happen to drive through Main St Mordy on Sunday Morn about 10:30?

A loud blue 996 came through but I thought it can't be you, you took em off!

Nah wasn't me. Must have been some other larikan...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon

I thought they sounded ok on the video.

My 3.2 is currently running extractors (no heating, brrrrrrrr cold, can't feel my toes) and straight through race mufflers. Sounds infectiously fun gassing it up, but cruising at anything less than 2,700 rpm the drone is unbearable (and plain embarrassing).

Tough it out a bit longer. Apparently blood trickling from you shattered ear drums is a sign of manliness....

G'day Simon,

Nice ride and sweet sound!

I ended up going for the Fabspeed Maxflows, partly for the dual tips and of course change the factory sewing machine to sound like a 'real' Porsche.

Going by your video, I'd say the Dansk are a little raspier, whereby the Fabspeed is throatier.

For me, it was the best thing that I did, second to the Eibach's and Konis.

Mine is also Tiptronic and daily driver as well and personally, I would leave them on and enjoy!

Cheers

Photos below:

post-1420-0-01031700-1410309200_thumb.jp

post-1420-0-98619000-1410309140_thumb.jp

so I heard this thing in person the other morning, what a noise!! scared the crap out of me

I'm a fan Simon, suits the stance of the car, aggressive

Ha ha. They do sound impressive in the carpark. But it's too late. They're sold and coming off the car tonight. Don't worry though, I've got some replacements on their way that should be just as aggressive but more to my liking. Watch this space.

G'day Simon,

Nice ride and sweet sound!

I ended up going for the Fabspeed Maxflows, partly for the dual tips and of course change the factory sewing machine to sound like a 'real' Porsche.

Going by your video, I'd say the Dansk are a little raspier, whereby the Fabspeed is throatier.

For me, it was the best thing that I did, second to the Eibach's and Konis.

Mine is also Tiptronic and daily driver as well and personally, I would leave them on and enjoy!

Cheers

Loving that colour P-Kay. The dual tips look sweet too.

speaking of pipes, does anyone think that hi flow cats are worth it? I would have thought the cats on the 911 would be pretty good out of the box,

For the cost of some of the systems around, I can buy a PCP turbo kit that comes with the exuast for 10k!!

That bolt on part will give me 100 HP !!

As someone who appreciates a good sound system, there was no way I was going to not at least try and get some bass into this little car. The stereo was ok but the sound had no depth to it. First I decided to use an external amp to run the speakers which helped a lot but in the end you can't have good sound without proper bass. So out came my trusty 12" Kenwood subwoofer which I actually bought when I got my first 91112 years ago. Then it was a matter of figuring out how to fit a circle where a square should be. I wasn't going to post photos as it all looks rather unprofessional at the moment so consider it a work in progresss. The amps sit on the floor in the frunk. They're jammed in between the sides and a piece of timber. There's also velrco on the bottom of them so they're not going anywhere unless I try some sort of "Dukes of Hazaard" stunt. It's all hidden under a false floor. Normally I'd need to think about ventilation for the amps but they're not being driven very hard so heat isn't an issue. Once I'm completely happy with the tuning of the amps, I'll neaten up the wiring. The subwoofer box turned out pretty good, given it was my first attempt at building one. It really needs a bit more volume for this sub but I couldn't make it any wider as I need to be able to access the child seat anchors. There's no rattles or fart noises coming from the box though and over all it sounds 100 times better than before. The carpet though is rather woeful and will be replaced. Whilst the box is hardly inconspicuous, I can't see it in the rear vision mirror which is the main thing. I think I'll put black carpet on it so it doesn't stand out so much. Anyway, here's a couple pics. See you down at Chapel St tomorrow night...

15087506068_b2fa191af4.jpgIMG_3759 by Simonk76, on Flickr

15251111376_0b309570c8.jpgIMG_3758 by Simonk76, on Flickr

15251089266_a73454c7b9.jpgIMG_3757 by Simonk76, on Flickr

15087523878_25617d6687.jpgIMG_3753 by Simonk76, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Take two!!! Just arrived from the US. Certainly not as flashy as the Dansk but I didn't see the point in paying extra for the chrome finish. They worked out slightly more expensive than had I bought a pair of second hand mufflers here and got an exhaust shop to do the mod. I figured I was happy to pay a bit extra for Darin to do it as he has tested various pipe sizes and positions for the best sound. I'll report back when they're on.

15396555332_0d39c567a4_z.jpgIMG_3787 by Simonk76, on Flickr

Well, I couldn't wait to get these on the car so I left work early and burled home. Some people describe a great sounding car as "music to my ears". Certain types of music are popular for a reason and Fister has a lot of groupies. Lets just say Darin Fister is a great musician. I only wish he'd responded to my initial email. On the up side, I've managed to get the muffler change over time down from 5 hours to 1.5hours. I'll try to put together a video over the weekend.

I'll bring her along to the next SMT.

Question for the watercooled 911 owners. Does your exhaust cause your heat shields to vibrate? I've had this issue with all 3 exhausts I've had on the car. If I sit in the driveway and give it some beans (in neutral of course), I can hear the heat shields kind of rattling as the rpms come back down. I'm just trying to work out if this is part of the 911 charm or if I need to get under there and sort it out somehow.

I'll bring her along to the next SMT.

Question for the watercooled 911 owners. Does your exhaust cause your heat shields to vibrate? I've had this issue with all 3 exhausts I've had on the car. If I sit in the driveway and give it some beans (in neutral of course), I can hear the heat shields kind of rattling as the rpms come back down. I'm just trying to work out if this is part of the 911 charm or if I need to get under there and sort it out somehow.

Mine doesn't do it, I'm guessing they are loose. You might have to adjust or tighten them.

I think the issue is that it's made up of about 5 separate sections that all over lap each other. My guess is they're fluttering against each other with the vibration of the exhaust at certain rpm.

Compared to the Dansk exhaust, it's slightly less throaty, not quite as deep, and maybe 80% of the volume at full noise. The main difference is the Dansk were 100% loud from the moment you put your foot on the gas, all the way through the rev range. The Fisters are much quieter when driving miss daisy. You can see from the photo, the muffler bypass pipe is at 90 degrees to the inlet pipe which means the gas needs to make a 90 degree turn to take the loud way out. I imagine that while under normal driving it takes the easiest way out which would be through the muffler. Under normal driving it gives a nice subtle note, like it's clearing it's throat getting ready to unleash. At WOT it's pretty loud still (still made my boy cry the bloody sook) but not up there with the Dansk. There is zero drone which is perfect for the tiptronic but the sound is more exhaust than engine as opposed to the stock mufflers which are inaudible most of the time. 

15403643511_a37bd6d531_z.jpg996-mufflers by Simonk76, on Flickr

Here's a clip from the FD Motorsport website

Archived