Whether to buy a 944 or 968

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (and to Porsches) and have been looking for a 1986 and onwards 944 or possibly a 968. 

Here's my situation: I have only one garage, so the Porsche will have to live on the street or in the driveway. So this pretty much precludes any major disassembly or repairs in general and it also means that the car I buy will have to be in good running order from the start. That doesn't mean that I won't be able to do some work on it at some stage in the future. Because it will likely live on the street, it can't look too pristine cosmetically, as I don't want it to attract too much attention from passers by. I've read some of the buying guides posted elsewhere and am aware that comprehensive maintenance records are essential and out weigh most other considerations. So I think I need to buy a car with probably less than 200,000kms, that's drive-able, with most of the important maintenance items done and cost no more than $20k, but hopefully closer to $10k. So, the question is: Should I consider a cheaper/older 944 that will need a bit of work, or go for a slightly newer, lower km 968 at a much higher price that (hopefully) won't need many $ spent on it (for a while)?

You comments/help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Laurie

944's and 968's will cost roughly the same amount to maintain. The way i've seen it, most older 944s, the cheaper ones are more neglected, bought by dumbasses who want a cheap porsche and cant afford maintenance, cheap out and the car will cost you a fortune to fix.

a 944 turbo or s2 go for more money and usually well looked after. same goes with the 968. 

I personally would look at a 944 s2 or a turbo. or a 968. i would pay more for something with papers, lower ks and well looked after. 

G'day Laurie,

I think the guys have provided some great advice already, I've got 2 cents as well that is hopefully helpful. 

Definitely  buy the best one you can afford, budget $17 to $22k and buy a 944 S2 or a turbo. A 968 in any decent condition will cost you about $23 to $28k. The plus for the 968 is that it "should" hold its value a bit better than a 944. But, saying that I don't think 944's can fall much further in price, well not good ones anyway. 

Turbo Vs S2, just do your homework and see what suits you best. The Turbo is definitely faster and can be modified to be a real beast, but the S2 with its 3.0 litre 4 cylinder, turbo looks and charm is no slouch I can assure you. I have owned an S2 for 3 years, two as my daily driver.  I love it, it is really torquey and great fun to drive. 

Good luck with it all, they are all great cars. But spend more now and save more later, they are still Porsche's and an S2 or Turbo cost more than $100k new in 1990 so major parts can hurt. A well maintained one though is like a Swiss watch, beautiful, reliable , and well made. I would not recommend anyone buy a cheap neglected Porsche of any model.

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks for your advice too, Mark. One would think that a 986 might hold it's value better, seeing as there weren't many built (compared to 944s) and I guess there probably aren't many in Oz. The common advice I'm hearing is: Don't buy a cheapie; Buy the best I can afford with good maintenance records.

Cheers,

Laurie

Here's my situation: I have only one garage, so the Porsche will have to live on the street....

Not wanting to be a killjoy Laurie but I think this is a problem, especially if you are getting a good one. I would cry if mine were "outside" cars. Can't park the other car outside?

I would agree with all of the above but probably say an s2 is a good option for you. The turbo is awesome and I love mine but is more complex and can be more expensive if you have to pay to get work done. The S2 is a little simpler to maintain and doesn't give away a lot in performance, as has a lot of torque, and many believe it will be quicker around a track in a lot of cases, as it doesn't need to kept on boost to get the most from it. The 968 is a great car and as the end of the 944 line, is probably the most solid and well engineered but the down side is due to it's rarity, parts can be hard to find and/or even expensive. Due to the abundance of the other 944 models, it's easy to source bits for them and so can be a lot cheaper. Also much easier/cheaper to modify relatively, although that is a slippery slope at the best of times. It's just there is a lot more aftermarket support due to the number of cars out there compared the 968.

What ever way you go, get the best you can find/afford and you will love it

I drive a 968CS daily, it's brilliant.

It's got icy cold air, is cheap to insure, easy on fuel at suburban speeds and every drive is a pleasure, something to look forward to. I've never seen another on the road here in SA, and Porsche folks love "discussing" it should ever I bump into one in the wilds.

I did all the preventative maintenance upon purchase, and since, and other than a few "consumables" it's been most reliable.

I've owned 911's (still do) 356's and this, my 2nd CS. Mine's a Factory 2+2 which makes it very practical, and the cavernous boot will swallow an inordinate amount of gear.

Highly recommended.

Laurie, have driven T,S2 and 968.

Given what you stated the S2 fits the bill.

Low maintainence,performance and cost effective.

Similar in performance (do NOT get an auto) to 968 and plenty of parts. Should be able to get one $15-18k (buyers market),won't get a 968 near that.

Get low milage maintained model and later it is straight forward to upgrade M030 suspension, LSD will increase both handling and performance (if not already modded).

Value wise in any model do not hold expectations, just enjoy the drive.

Archived