Carsales about to drop below 1000 Porsches for sale!

On the GT3 talk... Do you really think a regular GT3 will ever hit the heights of an earlier Carrera RS?  Or will that space be strictly reserved for a GT3RS?

It's been long accepted a 73 Carrera RS was valuable metal.  The 993 Carrera RS also, but had a helping hand by holding the special title of "last of the aircooled".  And as said, not all that long ago you wouldn't have predicted the rise of the later 964 Carrera RS...

I just wonder that if without the acclaimed "RS" moniker, could you really bank on the GT3 ever quite being "it".....

Even though in spirit the GT3 name was a watercooled replacement for RS....it's not an RS.  At least, not until it's a GT3RS.

*No disrespect to those poor, deprived folk with miserly, run of the mill, regular GT3s ;) .... I madly want one!

I think all GT3s will be collectible at some point. Some will be more so than others of course, but the track nature of the cars means they're low production (for water cooled) and then add to the fact that so many of them end up binned each year - you've got a winning combo for rarity. We're also coming to a critical phase for the 996 GT3, a crate engine is $65k so if they get too cheap, and fall into the hands of people who can't maintain them .... the low numbers of aussie delivered cars is only going to get lower.

Ultimately the RS models are going to be where it is at, but values of all GT3s long term should hold up, albeit with a chance of a decent dip in the intermediate term because of the reason above.

My kingdom for a 4.0!

Unfortunately seller has not provided contact details so have to send an enquiry by email. Makes you wonder if they are genuinely trying to sell or just testing the market.

I had a similar experience and finally got an answer. Seller had been O/S and too busy. It is very frustrating. Hope you get a good result.   

On the GT3 talk... Do you really think a regular GT3 will ever hit the heights of an earlier Carrera RS?  Or will that space be strictly reserved for a GT3RS?

In short, no. No a regular gt3 won't be in the same league as a Carrera RS. 

Only certain RS will be valued too... If I had to bet on it, the 7.1 RS will be the least desired of them... 4.0 at the top, 3.8's will follow and the 6.2 RS will probably become more valued than 7.1 RS falling somewhere between 3.8

I have no idea what will become of the 991 generation cars, its too early to tell but we're close to the RS release now. 

I do think gt3 will hold value well... I have watched the market last couple of years at least... it hasn't really moved for 996's... 7's have come down a little, not a lot....if you're thinking about it, just do it now trev...buy once cry once. :lol: 

My 5 year plan includes an S1 GT3 to go with the turbo hotrod.

I thought you only kept cars a couple of years? My guess is the HR will be sold to fund the GT3 which in a couple of years will be unaffordable to most given the price hysteria we are experiencing. Plus the looming necessity of "dealer service" , but that's another matter!

Really, I think the value of the 996 gt3 will be the only Nat aspirated 996 to hold value well. I expect the regular 996 to become somewhat like a 928, fine cars for the discerning owner but never really racing away with value. In general, an equivalent condition and year 911 is worth quite a bit more than a 928, and thus I expect the gt3 to hold value and maybe gradually stay with inflation, while regular engined 996s gradually falling. The main reason for this are the perceived engine problems and sheer numbers made compared with the gt3. In general, the more uncompromising the car and the closer it is to racing versions the better the value holds in the long run. That's the gt3 to a tee.

The 928 is like the Ferrari 400 ; everyone secretly would like one , but is scared off by horror stories.

I'm scared of modern cars when they get old too. And 996s are let's face it ,  rather long in the tooth now.

996 or 928GTS? I know what I prefer.

928RS , well that would be some fun. They did make a CS version.

S2 is far and away the better car though- never really sure why the S1's got so much nostalgia in pommyland as either could be fitted with clubsport package!

Q: Why the S1's got so much nostalgia in pommyland?

A: Mk1s were handbuilt at the Weissach Motorsport factory, lower build numbers than Mk2s. e.g. only 1858 Mk1 GT3s were built, 308 being right-hand drive (90 to Aus).  (offering my biased response)

A: Mk1s were handbuilt at the Weissach Motorsport factory, lower build numbers than Mk2s. e.g. only 1858 Mk1 GT3s were built, 308 being right-hand drive (90 to Aus).  (offering my biased response)

Nailed it.

totally understand the sentiment, but as a package.. it can't be ignored the 6.2 offered that cut above the 6.1

90 Aussie delivered 6.1's to 91 Aussie delivered 6.2's... lord knows we don't care about any parallel imported cars in Oz, so that and global delivery stats are irrelevant! :lol:

The GT3 is a rare breed here.. I enjoy the fact we got 6 RS too... nice to see the yanks miss out on a good car for once! lol

Actually have you factored in all the Porsches that aren't "real Porsches"?

hahaha, so you think there are people in 911's who really think that? They wouldn't be enthusiasts then in my definition. (although I admit I love the jokes that go along with this train of thought)

Eg: If you went for a drive in the SC, then jumped out got in the 928 & spotted yourself in the rearview mirror, would you spit on yourself?

Eg: If you went for a drive in the SC, then jumped out got in the 928 & spotted yourself in the rearview mirror, would you spit on yourself?

The reality is I go outside in the morning , spit on my hands , rub together and think hmm , will I take the 911 , 944 , 924 or 928 today?

When the decision is too tough , I go in the Landy...It's a series 3 . so not a "real" Landy - but to all those S1&2 guys hiding Holden 186s under the bonnet, mine's got the original Rover 2.6...

Archived