Carsales about to drop below 1000 Porsches for sale!

For the first time in my memory, (poor as it is these days), I see that Carsales is sitting at 1005 Porsches for sale. Usually its closer to 1,100, sometimes above that. Who's buying? Or is it people not selling?

It always struck me that its a pretty good indicator of the world at large, and so, I'm thinking that doom and gloom is starting to take over. Any ideas?

I have my eye on one and three emails later and no response. Perhaps the buyers are getting frustrated at lack of response and moving on to something else. I have always wanted a 911 so am prepared to hang in there, but is annoying.

Everyone I talk to, from people who drive ships to accountants say the forward order book is very slim. Something has people spooked and the chequebooks are being put away. The only bright spot I have heard is a friend in the property development game who said it was the first time in five years they didn't do layoffs. But maybe they have hardly any staff left to layoff.

I really don't know, though.

Another hypothesis is that sellers are using other means to advertise... gumtree has been making a bit of a play with billboards everywhere...

Not to mention Carsguide are going full chat on tv adverts.. comparing themselves directly to Carsales. Claiming that their adverts are free compared to carsales wanting $65.

Might be worth setting up a watch counter for carsguide and gumtree to see if they are increasing by the same amount?

Then again, how would you identify the dual listings?

i wonder if the fact that more of the 911 models are more collectable and sales happen outside the public arena?

I know of a word and mouth sale at present where the owner wants ensure the car goes to an to enthusiast and wont put it in the normal media..

I have my eye on one and three emails later and no response. Perhaps the buyers are getting frustrated at lack of response and moving on to something else. I have always wanted a 911 so am prepared to hang in there, but is annoying.

Try phoning, a lot sellers prefer direct contact and wont respond to emails.

All your points are valid, but to have a ten percent fall in listings in such a short period is very odd, and it indicates something is up. Spring in the air perhaps? Im not sure Carsguide has bitten Carsales yet, but if they stick with their free offer it might. Gumtree still looks like the last refuge of the sad and desperate seller, with the odd pearl in there to spice it up for the mavens.

Unfortunately seller has not provided contact details so have to send an enquiry by email. Makes you wonder if they are genuinely trying to sell or just testing the market.

Everyone I talk to, from people who drive ships to accountants say the forward order book is very slim. Something has people spooked and the chequebooks are being put away. The only bright spot I have heard is a friend in the property development game who said it was the first time in five years they didn't do layoffs. But maybe they have hardly any staff left to layoff.

I really don't know, though.

I'm in health, about as bullet proof as you can get and we've gone off a cliff since July 1, new business is down 50% three months in a row and although a slight uptick in October will still be down 30%. I'm letting two staff go in the next two weeks and cutting the hours of a third.

Worst trading conditions since we started the business 12 years ago. Thankfully our ongoing work shields us to some extent but if I was in a more discretionary industry I'd be worried.

I was not having much luck with selling my golf. Then on Friday I found a pile of enquiry emails (through the carsales system) in my spam folder!!!

Fffffffffffffffff

So...I updated my ad asking people to call me instead.

As we all know the oilcooled market is overheated to say the least. When I bought my last car there was 19 930's on the market. Now there are 7 or 8. People are still buying but I get the feeling more people with cars are waiting to see it the price keeps climbing.

The 996/7 market is all over the place lol. S1 Suto 996's dropping like stones.

I maintain S1 996 GT3's to be sleepers.

The total number of Porsche cars advertised on CarSales is very broad as per the broadness of the range of models offered.

I suspect the answer may become more obvious if we knew the how the numbers advertised changed by break down of models.  I only really follow the air-cooled/older 911 market and would have no idea how many 911 demonstratos, Boxsters, Caymans, Cayennes, Panemaras or Macans were being advertised.

It may also be interesting to see the historical new car sales for Porsche.  What is the average lease period these days?  If the average lease is 3 years, and new car sales were low 3 years ago then this may be the answer.

With regard to the air-cooled market, I suspect that anyone thinking of selling and who also feels that prices are rising will probably hang back while they see prices continue to rise.

I also believe the 996.1 GT3 to be sleepers, but I've been thinking that for 5 years and have seen prices continue their fall for that period.  Having said that, there was a time when you could pick-up a 964 RS for less than $100k !!

Archived