Hello from the Adelaide Hills

It's the mid 80s, Adelaide, about 10 years old, sitting at the traffic lights in the back of  the family car. A silver car pulled up next to us. Didn't know exactly what it was at the time, but knew it was the the top of the tree as far as 4 wheels go.

I guess at the time I knew it was a Porsche, no idea it was a 930, Around the same time I discovered Le Mans. By that stage in life I knew somebody somewhere has to build those Le Mans cars. That's what I wanted to do, some kids wanted to be firemen, super heros and what ever it was that their dad was. All I wanted to do was build race cars.

Skip forward 25 years and more than 50 cars, I had just returned from working in Europe where I worked as a race mechanic and the search for my own 930 began. 930 was more of a dream as the budget was more like a rough SC, but in the back of my mind I always knew the narrow body would not satisfy that desire I had from the 80s.

I looked high and low for years and years, getting increasingly scared at the cost of beat up 911s. 2 years ago I started a contract that required me to drive to every corner of the state. One Monday morning I set off on the usual road trip, I drove out of my home town on my way to the south east. Passing through the very next town,still rubbing sleep from my eyes. I spot something red on the side of the road.

I think the voice in the back of my head was speechless. I pulled up across the road from a very dirty dusty unloved car that had a scrunched up piece of paper on the dash saying "For sale" By this stage the voice in the back of my head was swearing in disbelief. "930" with a phone number. This thing had literally just been pushed out of a shed to the roadside. The bald tyres were date stamped 1988.

My first thought was this has to be fake. Some paint damage on the upper surface indicated that the rear flares had been tacked on years ago. So I ring the guy... "yeah, yeah it's a genuine 930, it's a 1976 Australian delivered" At this stage there were other people pulling up looking at it, so I instantly pointed out the paint damage and explained it had to be fake. Some phone calls to verify numbers, some cheeky offers to the owner and I scored it for less than a new Ford Falcon.

Sold in Sydney new in 1977 it is the real thing. The guy knew it was special, just how special I suspect not. The paint damage may indicate poorly repaired hail damage? as the car was first registered in South Australia in 96. I remember many hail damaged cars flooding out of Sydney at the time. Yes at some stage in the past somebody has replaced the rear wing, front valance/ fog lights and front seats and some other odd bits. Other than that it is  100% rust free honest old car with 190,000Ks on it. With maybe? some storys under the paint?

Blows some smoke at times, has some crunchy syncros and it's a little tired in most areas you would expect of an old car. Other than that it goes like a cut snake. Yes the lag people talk about is very real in todays standards but when it was built, this car was so advanced, I think people lose perspective on that. A normally aspirated 911 may very well be more nimble and responsive through the hills where I live, but I now live that 30 year old dream. When that thing gets on boost, when I walk in my shed, when I walk out the shops and see it parked I feel as excited as a 10 year old. Probably always will.

I am going through the car, every nut and bolt. It's slow, time consuming and expensive but t is everything I wanted. I am only replacing the usual parts that wear out and cleaning every single component as I go, avoiding the over restored look though. It is #91 for 76 so it was one of the first 400 built for Group 4 homologation.

I have been lurking round the big websites for a while, but I hope to gain some Australian perspective from here. Very hard to get AU delivery numbers. I joined PCSA only to find nobody there knows much about them, nor knows of any others. I think there are 2 others in SA that are imported/converted? Other than that I have not met anybody with one.

So that's my story, yes I am in the market for the correct wing/valance/seats. I am by no means wealthy so these things take time. Looking forward to talking 930 with some of you good folk here.

post-2013-0-82087600-1416438301_thumb.jp

post-2013-0-06768200-1416438316_thumb.jp

Wow, what a great find Shady,

I also grew up in the Adelaide hills and now move between SYD and ADL.

Can relate to you early memories and motivation, that I too have been lucky enough to realise later in life.

I'm a member of PCNSW and also recently joined PCSA and been competing in their local motorsport events, so I have my car based out of ADL at the moment.

Given were on the same side of town, PM me your details, and look forward to seeing your car and hearing more about your overseas motorsport experiences.

Darien

Yes the silver wheels are period correct Rials. The 3pce Fuchs I have parted ways with. the rear offset was way too wide. As much as I want the 15" wheels it came with. I might find some 17" 3 piece wheels to look hot for now. I have a set of 16" Simmons OMs but again the offsets are no quite right.

I'm hanging on to my $ at this stage incase a correct rear wing comes up. I found the correct wing in NSW a year ago. By the time I got the $3G together the guy didn't want to part with it. I am on the verge of a respray so having the correct wing on it at that time is a no brainer.

Anybody know of a lonely 3.0L wing around?

Nice. Was just chatting to my brother today and we recalled stopping in at Brent's car yard in oakleigh periodically in the late 70s and ogling 930s, Aston Martin Lagonda, Montiverdi, early Countach. Have to thank mum for indulging our passion. Some amazing machinery there in hindsight.

At that time, around 8yo, I had a poster of a blue 930 with gold wheels and soon after saw an electric blue one with black mesh rims at the local shops......in Frankston. Wow that was a change from falcons, commodores and valiants, it could have been from Mars.

Always had a passion for porsche from then on and now with the 930s spiritual successor in the garage, childhood desires are fulfilled.

Have fun!

Nice. Was just chatting to my brother today and we recalled stopping in at Brent's car yard in oakleigh periodically in the late 70s and ogling 930s, Aston Martin Lagonda, Montiverdi, early Countach. Have to thank mum for indulging our passion. Some amazing machinery there in hindsight.

At that time, around 8yo, I had a poster of a blue 930 with gold wheels and soon after saw an electric blue one with black mesh rims at the local shops......in Frankston. Wow that was a change from falcons, commodores and valiants, it could have been from Mars.

Always had a passion for porsche from then on and now with the 930s spiritual successor in the garage, childhood desires are fulfilled.

Have fun!

We have the same childhood experience. Mum bought her 924 from Brent's in 1983. I remember there was a car yard just down the road that had a dark brown SC and we all agreed the 924 was a nicer car... At the time Brent's had a De Tomaso Pantera and a Maserati Merak.

Brents.....gee I miss that place.   I actually had a Brents sticker (I nagged the sales guy) on the back of my first Mini.

I swear this car was in a car yard on South road, Edwardstown area about 3 years ago with those wheels on it

Nice score mate. Welcome to PFA. Hope to catch up in the near future when my thing is rego'd. I'll be a regular in the hills!

Welcome to PFA.

Interesting your comments about turbo lag and people losing perspective, I often think the same thing when people complain about the 915 gear box given it was intro'd in 1972.

I hope this whale tail from eBay was not what you are after, given the auction ended 3 days ago at $710. Some interesting parts do turn up from time to time though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-Whale-Tail-original-first-shape-/121483841702?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=jQKTzP%252B8a%252BR9WImHfLonjoLWaLM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Great story and congrats. You've got some perfect roads right at your back door too.

I'm planning on heading over to visit family in the Hills over the Christmas period, the question is whether to fly or take the Porsche and drive those magnificent roads. If I do I might drop you a message and see if you're interested in a cruise.

the question is whether to fly or take the Porsche and drive those magnificent roads.

Take your Porsche. Just got back from a tour of Tasmania. We tossed up whether to take our Porsche or fly and hire a car. Glad we took the Porsche. Best fun holiday we've had for a long time.

Most of the roads around the hills are 80 kmh now, till you get out a bit further.

D Banger I have no idea how I missed that wing. I search for these daily? I would have paid more than that for it. Though it is not the correct secondary grill for mine. That has ruined my day. More than happy for you lot to point out wings on the market I may have missed.

LeeM I saw that car on South Road. Not the same car. The only place they advertised it was PCSA. It had fairly much been shed bound for years. I found it in Strathalbyn.

Stew F I am near Paris Creek Road if you know it. The old beast is up on blocks at the moment. Though I am itching to get it down again. We will catch up. I have been to Tassie in my Hilux of all things, and yes the guy that designed most the roads there must have owned a Porsche.

I know a couple of other 911 guys around here. I detect a catchup forming.

You may have guessed I am a Mechanic by trade, I am also an Auto Elec too. Having been through most of the wiring on my car I am happy to assist with 911 electrical issues where practical.

Good to see other owners in the hills.

Last time I was there I noticed SA was almost as much a police state as Vic now. Speed cameras every ten metres.

Btw, My family lives in Littlehampton. Will pm you next time I'm up.

Yep, I know that area. Know a guy who lives on old bull creek road.

Tit,the problem is that they've made a lot of the main country roads 80 as well.

Archived