964 for sale

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd buy that except I have to wait another 6 years before I could drive it.

Pricey for a car that can only be registered in one or two states.  But undoubtedly low ks.

WTF didn't the price start at $37k?? Me thinks you need to do your value on what the car is worth before you advertise it to the public.

Not start at $37 and end up at $60k What's it going to be next week?

I think we need to be a bit more understanding of the varying price of the 964 for a few reasons.

Firstly, Chris is a member here and from what I understand known by a few other members.  We would all understand that selling your prized possession under undesirable circumstances would be difficult.  Surely this forum should be a safe place he can test the waters, even if it is public.

Secondly, the market for 964's, as with many other 911's, is quite dynamic at the moment.  A comment was passed about the SC at Weltmeister for $60K, yet it sold in a day (or so).  Pricing Chris's car is probably difficult.  It's a C2 Tip - you don't see too many for sale to make a good comparison.

Thirdly, if I put a price out there for a car I was trying to sell and then noticed a fair level of interest before it was officially advertised I would review it upwards.  Who wouldn't?  Hopefully he gets the asking price.

No disrespect to anyone who was unsettled by the price changes but I feel we should support PFA members.  Ultimately if the prices go up all the current owners benefit, which I'm sure is most of us.

I reckon Chris is pretty canny!

In the current market it's pretty hard to establish what the going rate is - no one saw that $60k SC selling within two days that is discussed on another thread - and all he's done is asked his mates on the forum for some feedback and set his price on that basis. Getting it close to the mark before he formally advertises saves him undervaluing it or having go stale. As I said, good thinking from a prudent seller!

Maybe I'll list mine at $65 which would make Chris' look cheap...

It's all relative.

I think if anyone is serious, they should pick up the phone and have a conversation with the seller. Maybe he will do a red hot deal, for a fast, no hassle sale.

I have to admit, from the photos, it looks an absolute peach. Great photos, excellent wording. Couldn't have done it better myself.

i did not realise only 2 states can have lhd rego...

2 states have 15 year LHD rego (Tas & WA - correct me if I'm wrong, maybe SA as well?)

QLD has 30 year LHD rego.

Newest car you can rego LHD in QLD is a 1985.  Time to go hunt down a Delorean or 'Knight Rider' Trans Am!

Oldest E30 M3 is still a couple of years away, but getting closer all the time.

WTF didn't the price start at $37k?? Me thinks you need to do your value on what the car is worth before you advertise it to the public.

Not start at $37 and end up at $60k What's it going to be next week?

In my opinion, nothing wrong with this thread at all.  There's no right or wrong way to sell a car.  Sure beats seeing another commodore ute with 'Interested?' plastered across the back window.

It's a porsche forum.  The inhabitants love to talk about buying and selling porsches.  Nothing wrong with putting it out there for a nibble and seeing if anyone is interested before you set a final price.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with this thread at all.  There's no right or wrong way to sell a car.  Sure beats seeing another commodore ute with 'Interested?' plastered across the back window.

It's a porsche forum.  The inhabitants love to talk about buying and selling porsches.  Nothing wrong with putting it out there for a nibble and seeing if anyone is interested before you set a final price.

nothing wrong with thinking aloud among friends ...  we all want to help the guys who are lookng and the guys who are thinking about selling ...  the level and quality of communication is what I like about this forum  

So what do we think a tidy 964 C2 man coupe is worth then?  :ph34r:

It does raise the question that in this current market how do you best advertise your car? Do you just name your price and see if it flies (even if optimistic) and post on Carsales etc. or do you spend the money on say an auction with Shannons etc. to market it and get interest or do you (dare I say) put it on Ebay and just let the games begin - Ebay has worked well for our old friend Magnus? If I was to put mine on the market (not that I am thinking of it!) but if I was even myself whom watches the market closely would find it hard to price it 'right'.

Interesting times, does make selling a car quite a consideration IMO. 

On topic  ;) , seems like a nice car for 60k, don't think there will be any less interest at that price. 

Being in the market for a 964 myself here is my take on pricing and selling cars like a 911 or any "niche" car for that matter.

I feel they are worth the agreed price, asking is one thing. Getting is a whole other story. I have bought cars for 30k that were advertised for 50k plus. Chris's car I would not pay 60k, but that's me. If it were a 5 speed I would be on his door step at $40K (with 10 other guys too) but that's just me and what I am willing to pay for said car.

If a car I like comes up for sale, regardless of the "asking" price I will offer what The car is worth to me. All the owner can say is no.

I also think owners need not to take offers personally. I have also been told to "Piss off" a few times but you would be surprised how many call backs I have had after some time has passed.

Good on you Chris. Give it a crack mate, some cashed up baby boomer might just grab it and you will be sitting pretty.

Just be prepared to let in go for much less. 60K buys a lot of car and not just a 964. They higher the price the smaller the market.

Being in the market for a 964 myself here is my take on pricing and selling cars like a 911 or any "niche" car for that matter.

I feel they are worth the agreed price, asking is one thing. Getting is a whole other story. I have bought cars for 30k that were advertised for 50k plus. Chris's car I would not pay 60k, but that's me. If it were a 5 speed I would be on his door step at $40K (with 10 other guys too) but that's just me and what I am willing to pay for said car.

If a car I like comes up for sale, regardless of the "asking" price I will offer what The car is worth to me. All the owner can say is no.

I also think owners need not to take offers personally. I have also been told to "Piss off" a few times but you would be surprised how many call backs I have had after some time has passed.

Good on you Chris. Give it a crack mate, some cashed up baby boomer might just grab it and you will be sitting pretty.

Just be prepared to let in go for much less. 60K buys a lot of car and not just a 964. They higher the price the smaller the market.

Don't be surprised of Chris's car has already sold for 60k, there are plenty of people out there chasing these cars and prepared to pay when one comes up (as they don't come up that often) especially a good one like this appears to be.

Not sure how long you have been watching the market, I've been following it pretty closely for the last 2-3 years and unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to find a C2, man, coupe at all let alone for 40k. The last C2 man coupe to hit the market sold for 80k in a matter of hours and that was July last year (1 of 3 that sold last year, 5 in total for the last 2 years to give you an idea of how few hit the market).

Thanks for your insights on pricing there, only been seriously looking for a short time. Looks like I might have to adjust my budget or model.

I won't hijack Chris's thread any longer, hope you sell it quickly Chris.

The asking price is one thing the actual selling price is another, a point that sometimes gets overlooked in these "Porsche Value" discussions… :ph34r:

Chris's "asking"price fluctuation posts are quite clever really, although sure to annoy some who are on the hunt for a car. Whether intended or not it has gotten the car a lot of attention…… and its only a TIP! (ducking under desk now) :D

Archived